With Yet Another Team Being Bought by an Oil Nation, Can Villa Ever Compete Regularly?

KMitch

I'm not worried about Man Utd being brought, they already have a budget unbelievably higher than ours.

As for can we compete, the reply should be, what for?

If it is for 1st in the League probably not.
For a cup - Definitely 
For Europa League and the Odd Champions League qualification - Definitely

All we need to worry about is getting into the Europa League most years, producing talent in our academy, winning domestic cups and developing our revenue streams.

That is enough to deal with for now and you can reassess after that. 

We haven't competed for the top 6 of the Premier League for 13 years and counting, I think regardless of the external situation we're just a club that doesn't compete at the top end any more.

The last time we played in what is now the Champions League was 40 years ago when we won it, we like to boast about that win but even if it is banter it's very silly because we haven't played in it ever since and the chances of us playing in it ever again are diminishing every year. 

I honestly think even if we were owned by an oil nation we'd still find a way to fail in our objectives, it's just the Villa way. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 3

Getting into the Europa league may be the worst thing for us, it's not exactly the most popular competition and never seems to have the kudos. But the main issue is that we have to have a team able to not only do well in that competition but to avoid compromising our place in the premier league.

Football is a different sport to the era when TRO and I used to see Ron Saunders team play in the early 1980's. I have followed the Villa since 1968, and seen us through some dark times. However i do agree with some comments on this thread, we are never going to win the league, a domestic cup hopefully before I snuff it, but the whole premier league now is so biased towards the top sky 6, even the media are not even pretending to be neutral.

All those teams outside the sky 6 party are looking in through the window, and the best that they can hope for is 40 points to avoid relegation.

Not sure if the rare occasional (and becoming rarer) Villa win and the euphoria that comes with it is enough anymore for me now

I've come to terms with the fact we will never win the league in my life time.

I'd be delighted with a cup. I mean, could die happy delighted. We last won a cup in 1996 - there are people who were born on that day that will have kids going into secondary school. And obviously the last FA Cup win was 66 years ago, which may as well be a different world to now. It would be spectacular to win either.

As far as the league goes getting into Europe is basically it. Which would be great. But it's a sorry state of affairs that we've let the game get to this point, where it's dominated by franchise behemoths.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Right and what cups did we win? 

Ah, I thought you'd said noteworthy.

We've made a domestic cup final around once every six years this century. 

I'm hoping we win one of those while you're young enough to enjoy it and I'm still around.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah, I thought you'd said noteworthy.

We've made a domestic cup final around once every six years this century. 

I'm hoping we win one of those while you're young enough to enjoy it and I'm still around.

If we make 8 finals in the next 48 years you better believe we are going to win one of them.

7 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Getting into the Europa league may be the worst thing for us, it's not exactly the most popular competition and never seems to have the kudos. But the main issue is that we have to have a team able to not only do well in that competition but to avoid compromising our place in the premier league.

Football is a different sport to the era when TRO and I used to see Ron Saunders team play in the early 1980's. I have followed the Villa since 1968, and seen us through some dark times. However i do agree with some comments on this thread, we are never going to win the league, a domestic cup hopefully before I snuff it, but the whole premier league now is so biased towards the top sky 6, even the media are not even pretending to be neutral.

All those teams outside the sky 6 party are looking in through the window, and the best that they can hope for is 40 points to avoid relegation.

Not sure if the rare occasional (and becoming rarer) Villa win and the euphoria that comes with it is enough anymore for me now

Difference is we have a manager who knows what that cup is all about, it's our best chance of ever getting CL and hopefully in the next couple of seasons we have the academy to use in that competition

The commentators made a big thing of it being emery that gave saka his arsenal debut, they didn't say it was vs vorskla poltava in the EL, ESR got his in the same game, I'd like to think that's the kind of game where Aaron Ramsey or Bogarde or Wilson or a.n.other get their opportunity and they take it, the EL would be huge for us

Best chance of the EL is the league cup, best chance of the CL is the EL, you could probably replace "best" with "only"

9 hours ago, Leeroy said:

We haven't competed for the top 6 of the Premier League for 13 years and counting, I think regardless of the external situation we're just a club that doesn't compete at the top end any more.

The last time we played in what is now the Champions League was 40 years ago when we won it, we like to boast about that win but even if it is banter it's very silly because we haven't played in it ever since and the chances of us playing in it ever again are diminishing every year. 

I honestly think even if we were owned by an oil nation we'd still find a way to fail in our objectives, it's just the Villa way. 

We got to the quarter-finals the following year after winning it 

Let's be brutally honest about this, we are just going to be making up the numbers in the league, we are just going to be a mid table club

We are not winning the FA Cup playing a second string site, we can't even get past the 3rd round playing Stevenage.

League Cup is probably our beat chance of winning anything, but again not if we play a second string side.

I have come to the realisation that we won't ever compete for the league or the champions league. 

Outside chance of Europe but that's slim. We will be a team that will be playing for 7th - 12th place. 

14 hours ago, Pinebro said:

No we can't which is why it's baffling that we don't go all out in the cups.

Because the cups make no money. By being successful in the league warrants your squad to be better, so your second XI should beat a mid-table second XI or a lower league side. Stevange showed that our squad depth is poor. 

As fans we don't really care about the cups. Stevenage was the lowest attended match this season by about 10,000, and it was a free match for all season ticket holders. If we got to the fifth round or quarters we might start to show some interest but that hasn't happened for years.

Edited by The Fun Factory

51 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Because the cups make no money. By being successful in the league warrants your squad to be better, so your second XI should beat a mid-table second XI or a lower league side. Stevange showed that our squad depth is poor. 

As fans we don't really care about the cups. Stevenage was the lowest attended match this season by about 10,000, and it was a free match for all season ticket holders. If we got to the fifth round or quarters we might start to show some interest but that hasn't happened for years.

Can't you get into europe by winning one of the cups though?

That sounds more doable than finishing in the top 7

So if we are not going to win any domestic cups, or the league a y time soon, and the best we will ever do is finish in the top half and perhaps grabbing a Europa league place, then is that it? Is that the sum total of our ambition?

Not much to look forward to then, esp as the gap continues to open up between the clubs owned by the oil barons etc and their free spending, ignoring FFP rules, financial irregularities and the assistance of the officials and their interpretation of the rules to favour them, and the rest of us "cannon fodder" clubs desperately avoiding the bottom 3 places.

Maybe that's our ambition....to avoid relegation, anything else is a bonus....its a bit depressing and pointless isn't it?

I really need to be looking forward to my 4 hour round trip to see the Villa...

56 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Can't you get into europe by winning one of the cups though?

That sounds more doable than finishing in the top 7

Yes but only if you win it. Hull was the last team to be runners up in the FA cup and get into Europe in 2014. And in true Villa style we got to the final in 2015.  Bar Wigan in the FA cup in 2013 and Swansea, and yes Blues, in the league cup I can't think of many occasions in the last 20 odd years that a non top 7 style wins a domestic cup.

This thread is so depressing, kind of makes me think what is the point of renewing my & my daughters season tickets next season to be honest. if there is no chance of success then what on Earth is the point exactly?

If this is what football has become quite frankly..........I'm out! 

On 18/02/2023 at 11:41, HKP90 said:

Well they live in the Desert, if they are not placing ev panels as quickly as they can make them, then they have missed a trick. Point is, they are an oil state, and in 25 years, when people REALLY start to drop like flies because of climate change, they are going to find it a hard sell. 

I'm going to support Armageddon F.C.

14 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Delboy......Folk were saying that in 1980, when Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal was the top teams, probably Ipswich one of the best......No one thought Leicester could win the Title in 2016.

Look at Fulhams assault on the league this being their first season....sure they have to sustain it....but these improvements can be made with prudent decision making.

I accept, the money has changed the landscape, with Agents, FFP  and state owned clubs.....but we can all only pick 11 players, sure we need more for squads, but get that first 11 right and anything can happen.

I don't accept, can't be done, but yes , unlikely.......what I do accept is, if we keep signing players not better that what we have already, the dream is impossible.....get the right players, the right coaching and the dream is not dead....probably in my lifetime it is....but I will never forget the defiance and belief we took in to that Rotterdam final against the possibly best team in Europe......That team had an unbelieveable trust in each other, even with the manager gone, they dug deep, to deny superior talent, rode their luck and capitalised on the counter attack....The impossible, was possible and we won.

Its doable still...but all the ducks have to align....we have simply got too many things wrong, for too long, for the belief to be credible....the years prior to 1974 to win the league in 1980/81 would be laughed at....many thought we would never be in the top flight again....its all about getting this right and having the right leadership

We need to examine forensically what we are doing and do it right......I hope UE is the man to do it.

This team now is like a patchwork quilt, designed by 4 managers....one man has to build an identity.

• Like 1

Â