With Yet Another Team Being Bought by an Oil Nation, Can Villa Ever Compete Regularly?

KMitch

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

This thread is so depressing, kind of makes me think what is the point of renewing my & my daughters season tickets next season to be honest. if there is no chance of success then what on Earth is the point exactly?

If this is what football has become quite frankly..........I'm out! 

It is to participate and take part in The Premier League- the biggest and richest footballing entity in the world. We should see an increasing quality of play regardless of our position due to the rising tide of money in the league. Never has some much money been spent on taking part and watching mid-table football. It is quite an achievement really. 20 odd years ago we were all bored of coming 8th.

On 18/02/2023 at 09:51, nick76 said:

At the end of the day it’s 11 players on the pitch and however much money teams spend that’s still the same.  Liverpool had the best team on the pitch in my early years, then Man Utd and now Man City.  We can still play these teams and compete in any particular game and that’s what I care about.

I remember when we used to play man utd under ferguson and it used to be the easiest 6pts they would get all season. We would rarely score and get beaten 2or 3 nil without laying a glove on them. We are more competitive with the big teams now, beating the likes of man utd, arsenal and Liverpool, as well as taking points off man city in recent seasons.

For all the money the big teams have they can't improve any further and can only stockpile a limited number of players. The clubs outside the top 6 have got smarter with recruitment and so have actually closed the gap. Increase in revenue for the big clubs is balanced with the 'big club' premiums that selling clubs are adding to their transfer demands. 

Money doesn't buy success either. If it were then Psg or man City would be winning the champions league every year and English teams would be dominating every European tournament. Iirc only 1 English team reached a European final last season. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

The last time we competed genuinely was before half the fans who go to matches were even born.

So the oil nations are not the real issue for us, and although fans suddenly grow morals that wernt there before, and have a go at clubs selling out to oil nations, lets be honest, what percentage of our fans would snap the arm off an oil nation prepared to throw silly money in to the transfer market if they bought our beloved Villa

Edited by Podster

Â