Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Good shout. There are very few players who can adequately replace Mings and Ramos is one of them....even at 37.

I’m not even joking. He’d probably be perfect short term:

Leadership ✅
Free ✅
CB or RB ✅
Sevilla/Monchi ✅

What have we got to lose?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I’m not even joking. He’d probably be perfect short term:

Leadership ✅
Free ✅
CB or RB ✅
Sevilla/Monchi ✅

What have we got to lose?

Young would have been the better option and probably would have had a lower wage.

But if we want to get someone Spanish speaking in to help with the defensive communication maybe.

He'll also get plenty of suspensions so Cash would still get some game time.

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I thinks Mings’s contract situation was a ticking time bomb that may now have gone away. Every cloud and all that. We have good cover at CB too. Lots of unnecessary panic going on because of one game when everything that could go wrong did go wrong. A decent performance and 3 points at home to Everton and we can get back to unjustified possitive expectations thst people can attempt to pour cold water over by the gallon. We had an off day against a good team that played well. The press all pile in and the Geordies need nothing to boost their delusions at the best of times. We’re the exact opposite and can’t wait to depress ourselves at the slightest opportunity. We were told we didn’t need a bigger squad those who believed that we did are less surprised that we can have an injury crisis before August is even at an end. I’ll refrain from thinking or saying out loud that it’s all about squad strength these days as I’ve mentioned a few times previously I didn’t want that to be highlighted this early in the season. But at least we have the time and the management team to correct this minor blip. 

This time last season Stevie G was our manager and not long ago we had Xia as an owner and Keith Windas pulling the strings now that’s something to be depressed over!

I agree we should look at RCB/RB player as Konsa will now need to be CB not playing games at RB. If we sign the right player there (Foyth or similar) then we add a player to the squad we all felt was needed. Chambers stays and it gives us cover for CB. Mings if/when he recovers takes Chambers spot who moves on next summer. We then have 8 defenders and 2 per position. 

35 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Ramos wouldn't come here. He wants to play Champions League and will stay in Europe to play for a club in it. Otherwise he'd go for payday in US or Saudi. 

You never know, he might get a kick out of the project. Might be more interesting for him than just being on the bench somewhere. 

Marcos Acuna if he joins is this part of our defensive rejig? or is it more a replace Digne and we have now have LB/LM options from (Moreno/Acuna). Acuna is more a progressive passer than Moreno so might be a different option

Can’t lie, I’m not really keen on the Acuna signing…

Unless it’s a bargain fee and he can make a good contribution… but… he’s 31… and a left back…

Obviously support and back it if/when he signs…

But… I think we should be free to express thoughts, feelings and opinions here… whether positive or negative…

Don’t just want to blindly endorse and praise everything… it has to make sense and have appeal…

Not exactly keen but… it doesn’t enthuse or excite me and the player has little to no longevity… I wonder how we move these players on when they have less to offer and get older…

We’re already struggling to offload players as is… and have been for a long while…

Long term effect and contribution over short term for me…

But yeah, what do I know? 😂

Just how I feel about such a move…

Long term moves > short term fixes 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Marcos Acuna if he joins is this part of our defensive rejig? or is it more a replace Digne and we have now have LB/LM options from (Moreno/Acuna). Acuna is more a progressive passer than Moreno so might be a different option

Probably a bit of both, played quite a few games at LM and even LW.  Would be useful player, fits Emery profile and can play 3 positions.

41 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Such a weird episode.

Seems that we were eventually put off by his current injury. Feels like a bit of a power flex over Everton in any case 🤣

Never watched it mate, heard it was shit 😂

Halo? 

Relieved we didn’t sign Harrison for more reasons than one, but would mainly have been stupid to sign an injured player…

Edited by Jas10

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

32 in a couple of months no way should we be signing him.

13 minutes ago, paul514 said:

32 in a couple of months no way should we be signing him.

I can’t find the quote from Emery now. But it was regarding a players age. He said something along the line that modern players can play into their late 30s. It was an issue years ago and he would have been reluctant to sign older players then, but not now.

I can’t imagine this would be an expensive signing, so a moderate fee and 2/3 year contract would be no issue if he’s a player that fits the system.

Just now, duke313 said:

I can’t find the quote from Emery now. But it was regarding a players age. He said something along the line that modern players can play into their late 30s. It was an issue years ago and he would have been reluctant to sign older players then, but not now.

I can’t imagine this would be an expensive signing, so a moderate fee and 2/3 year contract would be no issue if he’s a player that fits the system.

No resale value, this is key for us

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think this leadership is a little OTT. You think emis gonna stay quiet? He is going to organise the team and you have vocal warriors like luiz and mcginn

We do have other leaders in the squad, the doubts that have been raised are more concerning the defence. Who is going to lead and organise that department?

There will be an adjustment period… but I really do have faith in a Pau and Diego partnership and they are both leaders and have consistently competed at much higher levels than both Mings and Konsa…

We’l need to be patient but they could be brilliant… just hope Diego has fully recovered from his injury troubles - he could actually replace Ty and give us what we miss… Huge amount of top level experience…

I think Pau was (potentially) seen as an upgrade and our future anyway…

We’re just forced to speed up the process in terms of “future proofing” our defence… and not being so reliant on Ty as we always have been…