Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Guaranteed striker at Villa, playing in Europe, family settled or probable starter vs Richarlison at Spurs (your childhood team's bitter rivals) just as they look like they are about to start a rapid decline in success and quality, and no European football? If he went he really would need his head looking at.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Guaranteed striker at Villa, playing in Europe, family settled or probable starter vs Richarlison at Spurs (your childhood team's bitter rivals) just as they look like they are about to start a rapid decline in success and quality, and no European football? If he went he really would need his head looking at.

Plus the fact that if he doesnt hit the same levels as kane, or has a bad patch, the fans will be on his back

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Plus the fact that if he doesnt hit the same levels as kane, or has a bad patch, the fans will be on his back

Not many do.  And Spurs won't find one that does. I can see them making do with Richarlison until January then possibly going for Toney.  I think they are done this window.

Would be a step down currently for Ollie, sideways step at best if Ange get's them playing a bit.

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Is zaniolo a direct like for like replacement for buendia?

Looks like it, although he's left footed rather than right, so will be playing beside Ollie.  Buendia was useful in the LM role which we are now light in until JJ comes back, maybe we'll see Diaby there until JJ is fit.

Edited by duke313

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I've seen the highlight clip so I'll speak as if I'm an expert:

Villa have taken the opportunity to buy someone who can play in the Buendia position and cover Watkins. Which is clever.

He is physically much taller and stronger. Would offer another tactical approach for Emery and another player that can hold the ball and score too when Watkins is out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Looks like it, although he's left footed rather than right, so will be playing beside Ollie.  Buendia was useful in the LM role which we are now light in until JJ comes back, maybe we'll see Diaby there until JJ is fit.

Unai, being a leftie himself, must thave a bias towards lefties 🤣

25 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

for me, not really, different profiles of player tbh.

Zaniolo is more the runny runny tricky dicky type wide player/shadow striker, where as buendia is the picky locky passy wassy type profile.

I would say a Zaniolo, Gnonto, Doko type player, was the type of addition we already needed in the forward line, even before the Buendia issue.

I would say Buendia is the Goncalves type player, less explosive, but more creative.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

for me, not really, different profiles of player tbh.

Zaniolo is more the runny runny tricky dicky type wide player/shadow striker, where as buendia is the picky locky passy wassy type profile.

I would say a Zaniolo, Gnonto, Doko type player, was the type of addition we already needed in the forward line, even before the Buendia issue.

I would say Buendia is the Goncalves type player, less explosive, but more creative.

Despite the obscure choice of words I agree with this assessment.

Particularly important in any Buendia replacement will be the ability to press high. Zaniolo doesn't bring that.

Someone like Bowen would I guess? But don't see us meeting West Hams valuation for him.  Who else fits that high press mould that we could afford/attract?

• Like 1

Fortunately JPB's emergence this summer will soften the blow of Buendia's injury. But we definitely need another body in now in that second striker / wide forward role. 

To be honest I have a feeling JPB would've usurped Buendia this season. (I don't think Buendia is that good). But hey that's probably just my bias talking!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Fortunately JPB's emergence this summer will soften the blow of Buendia's injury. But we definitely need another body in now in that second striker / wide forward role. 

To be honest I have a feeling JPB would've usurped Buendia this season. (I don't think Buendia is that good). But hey that's probably just my bias talking!

Have you not seen the Zaniolo thread?

• Haha 1