Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I do trust Unai and the whole team really, but damn, I wish we still had Ings… if we did I’d be so confident about next year (and I’m already very confident!)!

The reason Ings left is the same reason we won't spend big money on another striker. Emery clearly favours Watkins with attacking mid as support in a 2 up top. He said Diaby can play striker and has him playing same role as Bailey supporting. He also said he wants to have Archer and Duran in the squad. It seems so obvious we're finished signing strikers

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The reason Ings left is the same reason we won't spend big money on another striker. Emery clearly favours Watkins with attacking mid as support in a 2 up top. He said Diaby can play striker and has him playing same role as Bailey supporting. He also said he wants to have Archer and Duran in the squad. It seems so obvious we're finished signing strikers

Me too,

I don't think it makes sense either, why spend so much on some unknown, have an academy player who has done it twice in the championship and England U21's and Watkins only to sign another centre forward.

Personally I think some people just advocate signing a striker every window 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thabucks said:

Jadon Sancho plus £30 odd million for Watkins - anyone taking that ? 

I wouldn’t take Sancho full stop at anywhere near the valuations he would be.  The kid has some talent but I don’t think he’s all that.  I would just flat out reject the offer above as an insult.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

Personally I think some people just advocate signing a striker every window

Or the fact we really only have one senior experienced striker maybe the reason but no let’s just wing it with back up of inexperienced kids at this level or a few of the others that aren’t strikers could be fudged in there.  Emery himself said himself he wanted another striker over the last six months after buying Duran.  Has Archer filled that gap? Maybe but I doubt it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Or the fact we really only have one senior experienced striker maybe the reason but no let’s just wing it with back up of inexperienced kids at this level or a few of the others that aren’t strikers could be fudged in there.  Emery himself said himself he wanted another striker over the last six months after buying Duran.  Has Archer filled that gap? Maybe but I doubt it.

Emery said he wanted Diaby because he can play either side of striker and also striker. Diaby was striker all youth career apprently. Watkins was wide player before striker. Rashford is wide player but can play striker. Why do people pigeonhole "striker" just to moan about being light in a position when we aren't really? If Haaland gets injured who is City backup? Can't say Alvarez as not a "striker". 

Edited by Kiwivillan

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Emery said he wanted Diaby because he can play either side of striker and also striker. Diaby was striker all youth career apprently. Watkins was wide player before striker. Rashford is wide player but can play striker. Why do people pigeonhole "striker" just to moan about being light in a position when we aren't really? If Haaland gets injured who is City backup? Can't say Alvarez as not a "striker". 

Yeah but Emery said a striker and a winger, and Diaby is more in the winger category.  This is just down to our personal opinions now, I think we need a striker and you don’t, and we are using Emery’s words to back up each of our claims and we think the other commenter is wrong.

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Diaby is more in the winger category.

That's your claim. Cash was never an RB until few seasons ago now people calling him "specialized RB". It's nonsense. 

Also Henry was more in the winger category when Wenger signed him. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So West Ham want to spend the Rice money on Álvarez, McTominay and Maguire.

Yeesh. Just remember folks, it could be way, way worse.

There’s no way West Ham could replicate Declan’s output with one signing.

Instead they have taken the approach of replicating Declan’s output by spreading the transfer fee over three mediocre footballers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So West Ham want to spend the Rice money on Álvarez, McTominay and Maguire.

Yeesh. Just remember folks, it could be way, way worse.

This is some absolute terrible business (dont know much about alvarez so ill exclude him)

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's your claim. Cash was never an RB until few seasons ago now people calling him "specialized RB". It's nonsense. 

Also Henry was more in the winger category when Wenger signed him. 

Wow! 😳

Anyway if you are going with that argument then according to that premise we need another winger because Emery said a striker and winger.  Now your argument is going to be JPB has stepped up to that position.  It comes back to just disagreeing whether we need another body in and I think we do and you don’t.  We aren’t going to agree.