Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if football manager taught me anything...

ebimbe has already gone to frankfurt, they've still got zaire emery

lyon have lukeba and obviously cherki

but desire doue from rennes is the one

I don't know why we spent so much on Pau Torres as the best defender in the world is available on a free... Taribo West

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

And if we ignore all the links what would we talk about in this thread?

The majority are indeed horse turd, but this thread is to discuss the relative merits of players we might sign, how much we might have to pay for them and generally pass the time between the actual confirmed signings.

It's a valid question to ask who you might want to sign? It's a valid response to say "whoever Emery wants"... but you can still hold a separate opinion yourself. 

I could live with the absurd speculation that's got exponentially worse with Twitter. What I baulk at is seeing these fantasy XIs that exclude quality players for us under Emery( we were 3rd in form table since he joined) like Konsa and Ramsey discarded, even Buendia like this unknown expensive quantity with massive injury record in some cases is going to improve us. I don't buy it. Most successful teams in PL are successful because they make small calculated editions not change 3rd to half of team because fantasy football mindset fans. Loads of fantasy XIs have Konsa dropped for Carlos. WTAF?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I could live with the absurd speculation that's got exponentially worse with Twitter. What I baulk at is seeing these fantasy XIs that exclude quality players for us under Emery( we were 3rd in form table since he joined) like Konsa and Ramsey discarded, even Buendia like this unknown expensive quantity with massive injury record in some cases is going to improve us. I don't buy it. Most successful teams in PL are successful because they make small calculated editions not change 3rd to half of team because fantasy football mindset fans. Loads of fantasy XIs have Konsa dropped for Carlos. WTAF?

It’s just a fantasy 11 in a speculation thread. calm down dear…. Not like Don Unai is going to pick them 😂 

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That I agree with.

I am really intrigued what back 4 we'll end up with on that topic. And I mean the preferred choice, recognising that we will rotate as needed. 

Pau is definitely starting in Emery's preferred line up. Which leaves one spot for 3 centre backs, two of whom were responsible for one of the tightest defences in the league last season 

- Mings probably won't be anywhere near as good playing on the right, but having not played there maybe he starts favourite Until proven otherwise?

- Konsa isn't as good as Mings, but certainly no slouch, so might face the drop, but is naturally more suited to the right.  Maybe he will replace cash...

- Carlos is an unknown quantity really, but has played on the right hand side for a very strong sevilla defence before now, and we spent a lot of money on him. If he's fully recovered, he's a more natural ball playing centre back than either Mings or Konsa..

It's a nice problem to have, and I'd rather not see any of them sold to give us that strength in depth.

Be interesting to see what happens with right back position before the end of the window as that will answer the question about whether Konsa is expected to be an option there. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

No one rates us, lads. At all. I just worked on a site with a Forest fan. Nice guy, but I mentioned the Brennan transfer, and he said he doesn't think he'll move to us as it's a sideways step. 

Forest to us as a sideways step!

No one rates us.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

No one rates us, lads. At all. I just worked on a site with a Forest fan. Nice guy, but I mentioned the Brennan transfer, and he said he doesn't think he'll move to us as it's a sideways step. 

No one rates us.

I love it that people underrate us. Just adds to the surprise 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

No one rates us.

I love it, I love us being underestimated and flying under the radar…

Shocking the shit out of everyone and their envy and ire…

I think a few are are actually starting to get fearful of what we can achieve now… King Unai is not messing around…

I don’t want us to be the media darling and some corrupt, sleazy outfit… the go to team for plastic fans etc…

We’re here to kick ass and disrupt the established order…

spacer.png

• Like 1

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

I love it that people underrate us. Just adds to the surprise 

No I agree, but it's just weird. Finish in Europe, Elite manager, add to a decent squad some top notch talent, including an elite defender, and folks are still not even noticing us.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

No I agree, but it's just weird. Finish in Europe, Elite manager, add to a decent squad some top notch talent, including an elite defender, and folks are still not even noticing us.

I’d put that on the media not choosing to talk about us. 

if things go to plan this season, they will be talking about us 

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I wonder. If we won the league, Sky Sports would spend most of their time congratulating Man City for coming second.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Tbf, we are getting a bit more exposure and praise…

But who cares really, I just want to enjoy our success for myself. It’s nice to not be part of “the crowd” or the norm…

Years and years of being insulted or looked down on as Villa fans (some people genuinely go into shock at the revelation 😆) but people who haven’t got much of a clue and blindly follow others by  automatically opting for the “big teams” such as Man U and Pool…

We’ve been looked down on as a club for a really long time…

They will all be shocked by our rise…

And we’re going to relish it 🤣

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I wonder. If we won the league, Sky Sports would spend most of their time congratulating Man City for coming second.

Don’t think that would be the case at all but… F the media.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Listen to TIFO podcast often with that jokey host and they prefaced the rise of Aston Villa and when it came to the conversation he sidetracked with some nonsense and it was barely even discussed

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Listen to TIFO podcast often with that jokey host and they prefaced the rise of Aston Villa and when it came to the conversation he sidetracked with some nonsense and it was barely even discussed

I’ve seen this and other stuff like it.

Lets face it if you are under 40 then you don’t think Aston Villa are capable of being anything other than a laughingstock.

They are just paying lip service before our inevitable (in their eyes) decline

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

Cant see us signing three but if we are signing anyone else it needs to be pedro Gonçalves he brings goals with him: 

Is Doku an alternative to Goncalves? I know Romano frames him as the plan B to Diaby, but seemingly Doku is more attacking midfield than wide man?

Edited by thunderball

36 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Brighton, Spurs, Newcastle and to some extent Brentford are still bigger stories to them than us, as is the demise of Chelsea.

Most journos missed our form under Emery as the table disguised our real improvement, some were still lamenting Gerrard’s treatment like we didn’t deserve that footballing darling, and that replaced the real narrative.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Brighton, Spurs, Newcastle and to some extent Brentford are still bigger stories to them than us, as is the demise of Chelsea.

Most journos missed our form under Emery as the table disguised our real improvement, some were still lamenting Gerrard’s treatment like we didn’t deserve that footballing darling, and that replaced the real narrative.

Unai was the perfect manager for us and when I delved into his background when he was in the mix I was very much camp Emery over Poch et al before it was official. He's overseen so many easy wins in getting the team performing and by wins I don't mean match results

Edited by Kiwivillan

30 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Is Doku an alternative to Goncalves? I know Romano frames him as the plan B to Diaby, but seemingly Doku is more attacking midfield than wide man?

Im not too too sure to be honest, but doku doesn’t give me a lot of confidence if thats the next option.