Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

If the talk is of us moving to Emery’s favoured 4141 formation, who we having in that front 5, new and/or current?

If we do go down this route would Moreno still be allowed to bomb on? If he is then I can see the left of the front four being a No10, as opposed to a winger. The right side a winger to give us some width on that side.

55 minutes ago, burchy said:

If the talk is of us moving to Emery’s favoured 4141 formation, who we having in that front 5, new and/or current?

Has Emery ever played 4 1 4 1 let alone it being his favoured formation! 

442 defensive and 3box3 in possession seem his favoured as he's played it for Villarreal and Us. We'd rightly assume that's the favoured 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

442 defensive and 3box3 in possession seem his favoured as he's played it for Villarreal and Us. We'd rightly assume that's the favoured 

There have been a few articles, with quotes from Emery himself talking about playing different formations mate. Lol

He actually said he uses 4 - 4 - 2 depending on personel to make a team harder to beat etc.

But sure it said something like his ideal formation is 4 - 3 - 3 or some hybrids of it etc.

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There have been a few articles, with quotes from Emery himself talking about playing different formations mate. Lol

He actually said he uses 4 - 4 - 2 depending on personel to make a team harder to beat etc.

But sure it said something like his ideal formation is 4 - 3 - 3 or some hybrids of it etc.

I thought he’d been quoted as 4141 and 433 were his favourite formations with 442 being his chosen one for an underdog team, for want of a different translation.

In truth whatever one he opts for it’ll be a 271 or a 31411 in transition/out of possession 🤪

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just to follow up on what Jamaican said.

Emery apparently stated his preferred formations are 433 or 4141 "IF" he has the right players to play it, as in his opinion those formations offer the best overall balance of effective pressing, attack, and balanced defence.

Emery also said he uses 442 a lot as......(this is my re-wording of the comment).........it basically allows the underdog teams to be much more effective and structured defensively, but also offers pretty good offensive and pressing, but not to the levels of 433/4141.

So basically 442 is his underdog tactic where he may not have the players to play a more.....progressive style.

I think the discussion is more around, that if Emery has a very good transfer window and gets in a lot of the players he wants, to play his system, will he revert to 433/4141, or stay with his better defensive/structure tactic in the 442.

• Like 1

Transfermarkt (take it for what it is) have most of Emery's games listed, all the way back to 2005. Safe to say he's used a number of different formations depending on what players he had available and on who he faced over the 800+ games he coached.

Pretty sure this will continue with us and who we manage to bring in will determine how we set up. Obviously we all hope Emery gets as close as possible to his favored targets.

Current preferred position is 4-4-2 double 6 but looking back it's not the formations he's used the most.

Unai Emery

French champion1Europa League winner4French cup winner2French league cup winner2French Super Cup winner2

• Date of birth/Age: Nov 3, 1971 (51)
  • Place of birth: Spain Hondarribia
  • Citizenship: Spain Spain
  • Agent: AC Talent Verified
  • Avg. term as coach : 1.97 Years
  • Preferred formation : 4-4-2 double 6

https://www.transfermarkt.com/unai-emery/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/5075

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12280235/Aston-Villa-join-race-sign-Bayer-Leverkusens-Moussa-Diaby-Bundesliga-wants-50m.html

Aston Villa join the race to sign Bayer Leverkusen winger Moussa Diaby with Arsenal, Newcastle and Man United all interested... but the Bundesliga side are demanding a club record fee of £50m
Aston Villa have become the latest club to express interest in Bayer Leverkusen winger Moussa Diaby.

Villa are understood to have made a check on the situation of the Frenchman who is expected to leave the Bundesliga side this summer. Manager Unai Emery is keen to add a wide player to his squad this summer.
Leverkusen would want a fee in excess of £50m for Diaby which would represent a club record for Villa were they to firm up their interest. Their highest ever buy is currently £38m Emi Buendia.

L'Equipe reported last month that Arsenal were leading the race for Diaby's signature with the Gunners still looking at bringing in one more attacking option but Villa have now joined the race as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Diaby is so, so good. If we break our transfer record at least once this summer he'd be near the top of my list of players worth doing it for.

whats the chances that he is Bailey mk.2?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Diaby is so, so good. If we break our transfer record at least once this summer he'd be near the top of my list of players worth doing it for.

So three Champions League clubs and we’ve just joined the race…c’mon at least make it real Daily Mail.   May as well say I’ve joined the race to date Ana De Armas with Chris Hemsworth, Jason Momoa and Harry Styles already interested.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

whats the chances that he is Bailey mk.2?

It's a possibility as both Bailey and Sancho did well in Germany but haven't here. He's not as lightweight as those players though so I'd be more confident he'd do well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So three Champions League clubs and we’ve just joined the race…c’mon at least make it real Daily Mail.   May as well say I’ve joined the race to date Ana De Armas with Chris Hemsworth, Jason Momoa and Harry Styles already interested.

And we haven't signed players linked withChampions League teams before have we......

32 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Diaby is bloody rapid.

Followed on from their style of play when Bailey was there at his best.

Leverkusen always seem to have some rapid wingers.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Very good player this lad.

Pretty sure there was serious talk of Newcastle but if they are really signing Harvey Barnes they simply have no more space in final third unless they sell a couple.

People will probably just see Leverkusen and think he'll be another Bailey but he's younger and probably a little more proven, scored home and away in CL v Atletico Madrid for example and hit 15 in the end.

Actually surprised he hasn't figured more for France in last couple of years, hopefully Bouba can have a word there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Diaby is bloody rapid.

Followed on from their style of play when Bailey was there at his best.

Leverkusen always seem to have some rapid wingers.

I’m so sceptical of anyone who comes from the bundesliga, I thought that’s what we were getting with Bailey to be honest 

• Like 1