Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

38 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Anyone for Alexis Mac Allister?

I really rate him - can play across the midfielder. We have a South American contingent, which can't hurt. And Brighton are a team would we would like to weaken if we are progress (which is amazing given their resources).

I'm sure others will be in for him - but we said that about Kamara. 

No way we'd spend what Brighton would ask for him.  They'll easily want more than the £63 million they got for Cucurella.  If we're going to drop that kind of money on a signing, we'll be trying to go after someone like Gabri Veiga, Nico Williams, Alex Baena, or  Yeremy Pino.  Someone who is much younger, impressed so far in their top flight experience abroad, have the potential to be elite players in a few years, and does not require us to pay Premier League prices.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Said a year ago one or both of Phillips and Ward Prowse would improve us, still stand by that.

Different team now. Phillips too injury prone and Wars Prowse no better than Luiz of Kamara. Would want someone a cut above who we have of we're going to spend big on a midfielder 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

FFP isn't an issue for us. So we don't need to sell any of our key players.

We've bookable profit coming in from the sales of Hause, Davis, Naka, Sanson, Traore and Chambers. We will drop our annual FFP cost of Watkins by about £2m per year with a new contract.  

Of course it's an issue. FFP is financially THE limiting factor on our transfers (if we play by the rules). The owners are billionaires who are clearly invested. But they can't just throw 300m at the team this summer, even if they wanted to.

Chelsea did it, but that is still a massive risk for them, even after they've been playing the system for years by stockpiling young players, and UEFA have also since changed the rules to further prevent that. Villa don't have that history of investment and depth to do that anyway, even prior to the rule change. And that transfer window still might absolutely ruin Chelsea, even with their billionaire backer and massive glory hunting global fanbase.

Just because we're not looking at a hard 5m Doug Ellis budget doesn't mean it's not an issue.

We're already going to sell most of the guys you've named if we can, but realistically how much do you think we'll make off them? I would bet selling Konsa would vastly exceed the fees of all of those players you've named combined. 

Aside from Chambers, who won't attract any kind of fee, they were all for sale last year and only attracted cheap loans which have been from decent (Nakamba) to terrible (most of the rest).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

Anyone for Alexis Mac Allister?

I really rate him - can play across the midfielder. We have a South American contingent, which can't hurt. And Brighton are a team would we would like to weaken if we are progress (which is amazing given their resources).

I'm sure others will be in for him - but we said that about Kamara. 

I read somewhere Brighton's valuation on McAllister was 150m. Not that absurd when you look at what Chelsea paid for Fernández, and MacAllister is better and PL proven. Don't think he's worth that to any team in the world though.

Apparently they're pretty open about their valuations of all their players, and they'll sell if the valuation is met, but won't budge below it even if the players want out. Hence the crazy fee for Cucurella. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

I read somewhere Brighton's valuation on McAllister was 150m. Not that absurd when you look at what Chelsea paid for Fernández, and MacAllister is better and PL proven. Don't think he's worth that to any team in the world though.

Apparently they're pretty open about their valuations of all their players, and they'll sell if the valuation is met, but won't budge below it even if the players want out. Hence the crazy fee for Cucurella. 

Yep, look at Caicedo.  Did he not post something on social media saying he wanted out?  And Brighton just rejected every bid.

29 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Of course it's an issue. FFP is financially THE limiting factor on our transfers (if we play by the rules). The owners are billionaires who are clearly invested. But they can't just throw 300m at the team this summer, even if they wanted to.

Chelsea did it, but that is still a massive risk for them, even after they've been playing the system for years by stockpiling young players, and UEFA have also since changed the rules to further prevent that. Villa don't have that history of investment and depth to do that anyway, even prior to the rule change. And that transfer window still might absolutely ruin Chelsea, even with their billionaire backer and massive glory hunting global fanbase.

Just because we're not looking at a hard 5m Doug Ellis budget doesn't mean it's not an issue.

We're already going to sell most of the guys you've named if we can, but realistically how much do you think we'll make off them? I would bet selling Konsa would vastly exceed the fees of all of those players you've named combined. 

Aside from Chambers, who won't attract any kind of fee, they were all for sale last year and only attracted cheap loans which have been from decent (Nakamba) to terrible (most of the rest).

FFP is a financial constraint. But we don't have an issue with it in relation to spending this summer. 

In terms of the players listed. My estimate for sale prices as follows so on average it'll balance. Hause £5m, Davis £8m, Chambers £6m, Nakamba £5m, Sanson £8m, Traore £8m 

That's £40m in sale fees and they have remaining amortisation of £14m so a profit of £26m and the wages saved too. 

We will have a large jump in income this season due to PL placing £13.2m and we get an extra £10m from new overseas TV deal. Plus a £2m saving in accounts for new Watkins Contract, plus the saving for Mings. So £25m that is outside of sales. 

So lots of headroom to play with this summer for signings. That's £50m in additional income outlined above. Then next season we've new sponsors which will be another revenue bump. When we're looking like we need 4 signings this summer we are good to go 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

FFP is a financial constraint. But we don't have an issue with it in relation to spending this summer. 

In terms of the players listed. My estimate for sale prices as follows so on average it'll balance. Hause £5m, Davis £8m, Chambers £6m, Nakamba £5m, Sanson £8m, Traore £8m 

That's £40m in sale fees and they have remaining amortisation of £14m so a profit of £26m and the wages saved too. 

We will have a large jump in income this season due to PL placing £13.2m and we get an extra £10m from new overseas TV deal. Plus a £2m saving in accounts for new Watkins Contract, plus the saving for Mings. So £25m that is outside of sales. 

So lots of headroom to play with this summer for signings. That's £50m in additional income outlined above. Then next season we've new sponsors which will be another revenue bump. 

Fair enough. If you reckon we can make 40m off guys that we couldn't give away last summer, then we surely won't have to worry about FFP. If you reckon you could broker some of those deals, I have a 20 year old Ford that won't start that I could use your help with. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So lots of headroom to play with this summer for signings. That's £50m in additional income outlined above. Then next season we've new sponsors which will be another revenue bump. When we're looking like we need 4 signings this summer we are good to go 

We'll get about £10m for the lot. Tops. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

We'll get about £10m for the lot. Tops. 

Yeah, we're getting nowhere near £40m for those players.  Could get more than £10m, but it'll be closer to that figure than £40m for sure.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I doubt we will sell Chambers as he is playing ahead of Dendonker in DCM.
Traore won't be sold.
Leaving the other 4 which I highly doubt we will get 20 million for them.

I appreciate your figures for amortisation etc though.

1 hour ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Fair enough. If you reckon we can make 40m off guys that we couldn't give away last summer, then we surely won't have to worry about FFP. If you reckon you could broker some of those deals, I have a 20 year old Ford that won't start that I could use your help with. 

We got 3.5m for AEG after a nightmare season and a year left on his contract. We got 4.5m for Trez again with 1 year left on contract. So that's 7m.

Sanson is doing very well in a poor team in France. Traore is scoring goals in the PL for us. Davis has proven himself at Championship level, there's an obligation to buy for 15m in his deal with Watford if they got promoted so there will be plenty of takers at £8m. Hause is a proven good defender and signing for £5m is a snip for a Championshp Club. Naka getting rave reviews at Luton £5m a snip for him now. Chambers is a proven PL defender and versatile. He's also vastly experienced and would be a big signing for a promoted club.

None of these are crazy valuations and because these players are playing (either with us Traore/Chambers) or on loan (Sanson/Naka/Davis) means there will be suitors. 

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I doubt we will sell Chambers as he is playing ahead of Dendonker in DCM.
Traore won't be sold.
Leaving the other 4 which I highly doubt we will get 20 million for them.

I appreciate your figures for amortisation etc though.

So we are offering Traore a new contract then?

Some reports today that the asking price for Jonathan David, the Canadian international Striker at Rennes who has often been mentioned as a potential target for us on this forum over the past 12 months or so, is around £57m.

Personally I think this will be more than we are willing to pay for him now. I think we will break our transfer fee record this summer, but that money will be for that wide forward postion that compliments Watkins, rather than one that is more similar in style to Ollie (they're not exact copies of one another, but they share a number of similiarities).