Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Big Summer ahead. Think it’ll be our most active since we got promoted. I imagine we’ll be looking to spend 120m as a baseline with a few quid added on top when we sell Martinez. We may even be able to generate some extra cash through the sale of some fringe players. I think we’ll see a couple of surprise departures too. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bailey leave and maybe even someone like Cash/Konsa. Getting Digne’s wages off the books should be a priority. Probably Coutinho’s too. 

This group of players isn’t good enough. We need a big refresh and I think we’ll get one. I expect at least 4 new starters for next season. Probably 5/6 if we’re serious about targeting Europe. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, av1 said:

I don’t think we are far away from a very good team. This is how I see us lining up for the first game next season. I predict 4 new starters. 

New

New     Carlos   Mings    Moreno

Luiz        Kamara

New                      Buendia 

New    Watkins 

Don't agree we need so few changes. Moreno is ok as a squad player but I haven't seen enough to suggest he's automatic first choice especially defensively and we need another younger player to come in at LB and make the position their own. Loads of people love Mings but the fact is he's not good enough for first choice, he will have to be on the bench next season and only a squad player. Don't know why you've excluded Martinez but if he wants to go then yes will need replacing. Buendia isn't good enough to be first choice either and should only be a squad player. Watkins I'm 50/50 about but he's certainly playing well right now and playing like he wants to be part of the first 11 next season, still think he might only be a rotation option though as he goes through long spells of not scoring. However, whether we can replace that many players in one window probably not, might take 2 summer windows at least.

For me, to get to level competing with the top 6 regularly, it would be:

Martinez

New New Carlos New

Luiz Kamara

New New

New New (maybe Watkins for another season)

And that also depends on Diego Carlos coming back from his injury the same player he was at Sevilla, I'm also conscious he is 30 next month so not getting any younger. If he doesn't manage to recover and come back the same player then we will need 2 starting CBs and to sign 8 first team players over the next 2-3 summers, not easy. 

Look at Arsenal, all of those players yesterday were Arteta's (he's had 3 summer windows since he joined) except Xhaka who was already there, Saka and Nketiah who came through the Academy, and Saliba who was signed by Emery incidentally. Martinelli who came on was also signed by Emery. So 7 of that first 11 were signed by Arteta and it would have been 9 of 11 if Jesus and Partey had been fit. 

We need to be adding at least three first team players each summer for the next three seasons and spending quite a lot of money, at least £100m. We can't keep skimping expecting we will make progress by not spending any money. We haven't progressed in three seasons, will finish lower half again this season, and are going nowhere without investment. The owners need to back this manager if they truly trust him, because otherwise we will descend into nothingness once again and at best be a midtable team that are utterly irrelevant or at worst end up battling relegation every season aain and falling back into the Championship. 

Edit: I just realised you said start of next season so I apologise. Still think Mings might not be in the team though and I'd be very surprised if Buendia started on the opening day next season. I think Martinez, Carlos, Luiz, Kamara and Watkins will all start. That's six players who could potentially be replaced in the lineup, but yes it will likely only be 3 or 4 as I don't see us signing 6 new first team players in the summer unless we're prepared to spend £200m.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Don't agree we need so few changes. Moreno is ok as a squad player but I haven't seen enough to suggest he's automatic first choice especially defensively and we need another younger player to come in at LB and make the position their own. Loads of people love Mings but the fact is he's not good enough for first choice, he will have to be on the bench next season and only a squad player. Don't know why you've excluded Martinez but if he wants to go then yes will need replacing. Buendia isn't good enough to be first choice either and should only be a squad player. Watkins I'm 50/50 about but he's certainly playing well right now and playing like he wants to be part of the first 11 next season, still think he might only be a rotation option though as he goes through long spells of not scoring. However, whether we can replace that many players in one window probably not, might take 2 summer windows at least.

Martinez

New New Carlos New

Luiz Kamara

New New

And that also depends on Diego Carlos coming back from his injury the same player he was at Sevilla, I'm also conscious he is 30 next month so not getting any younger. If he doesn't manage to recover and come back the same player then we will need 2 starting CBs and to sign 8 first team players over the next 2-3 summers, not easy. 

Look at Arsenal, all of those players yesterday were Arteta's (he's had 3 summer windows since he joined) except Xhaka who was already there, Saka and Nketiah who came through the Academy, and Saliba who was signed by Emery incidentally. Martinelli who came on was also signed by Emery. So 7 of that first 11 were signed by Arteta and it would have been 9 of 11 if Jesus and Partey had been fit. 

We need to be adding at least first team players each summer for the next three seasons and spending quite a lot of money, at least £100m. We can't keep skimping expecting we will make progress by not spending any money. We haven't progressed in three seasons, will finish lower half again this season, and are going nowhere without investment. The owners need to back this manager if they truly trust him, because otherwise we will descend into nothingness once again and at best be a midtable team that are utterly irrelevant or at worst end up battling relegation every season aain and falling back into the Championship. 

Agree with most of this but think we can probably get away with having Mings at the back. Carlos hasn’t proved anything yet either so who knows how that turns out. 

Too many fans on here seem to defend and rate so many of our players in their own individual threads but are left scratching their heads when we can’t seem to break into the top half of the table. The painful truth is, we’re not good enough. Not even close really. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree with most of this but think we can probably get away with having Mings at the back. Carlos hasn’t proved anything yet either so who knows how that turns out. 

Too many fans on here seem to defend and rate so many of our players in their own individual threads but are left scratching their heads when we can’t seem to break into the top half of the table. The painful truth is, we’re not good enough. Not even close really. 

Yeah I was arguing with this about you before Arsenal but I've finally come round to the realisation you are right so sorry about that. 

We will see if the owners are prepared to back the manager heavily in summer. If they do, I expect we will see decent progress next season and finally finish top half and possibly top 8 then maybe a European push the following summer if he is backed again. If they don't it will be the same yet again and Emery might even walk if he feels he hasn't got the support of the club, let's hope that doesn't happen.

13 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Martinez

New New Carlos New

Luiz Kamara

New New

We need to be adding at least three first team players each summer for the next three seasons and spending quite a lot of money, at least £100m. We can't keep skimping expecting we will make progress by not spending any money. We haven't progressed in three seasons, will finish lower half again this season, and are going nowhere without investment. The owners need to back this manager if they truly trust him, because otherwise we will descend into nothingness once again and at best be a midtable team that are utterly irrelevant or at worst end up battling relegation every season aain and falling back into the Championship. 

Edit: I just realised you said start of next season so I apologise. Still think Mings might not be in the team though and I'd be very surprised if Buendia started on the opening day next season. I think Martinez, Carlos, Luiz, Kamara and Watkins will all start. That's six players who could potentially be replaced in the lineup, but yes it will likely only be 3 or 4 as I don't see us signing 6 new first team players in the summer unless we're prepared to spend £200m.

Excellent post . Except Watkins who (imo) is improving rapidly under Emery. I’d keep Mings too as he is excellent for England which shows with better players around him he’d be solid as a rock.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Excellent post . Except Watkins who (imo) is improving rapidly under Emery. I’d keep Mings too as he is excellent for England which shows with better players around him he’d be solid as a rock.

I think that probably next season they will both be in the team although I'd be very surprised if we didn't sign at least one CB this summer which would mean Mings and Carlos battling for the other spot and if Carlos recovers his form he is better than Mings and also better at playing out from the back so I see Mings being on the bench more often next season. 

Watkins yes he will still be in the team I think and despite his technical limitations is thriving under Emery. I think he might be one that surprises the most in holding down his place, at least for a couple of years, as he seems to be putting in the effort to adapt to Emery's system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

His goal yesterday was absolutely superb. 

The goals are welcome but his all round game is back at the level of his first season and he’s starting to do the little things that I thought were missing like subtle pull backs and awareness of his teammates. His passing is getting better too.

To replace him would cost mega money imo. I think him and Duran can really cause problems. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Martinez

New New Carlos New

Luiz Kamara

New New

I'd argue that even Luiz shouldn't necessarily be an automatic starter. Ideally, he'd be part of a rotation. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think 5/6 players in and quite a few players out.

Davis, Sanson, Nakamba, Traore, Chambers, Hause, Philogene all leaving. Could see one of Bailey/Coutinho probably leaving too. 

New Striker, Winger, CM/RM, RB, RCB maybe even Digne sold and replaced. Maybe Martinez sold and replaced. 

Look at Leicester and how signings have turned them around instantly. 

Edited by CVByrne

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think 5/6 players in and quite a few players out.

Davis, Sanson, Nakamba, Traore, Chambers, Hause, Philogene all leaving. Could see one of Bailey/Coutinho probably leaving too. 

New Striker, Winger, CM/RM, RB, RCB maybe even Digne sold and replaced. Maybe Martinez sold and replaced. 

Look at Leicester and how signings have turned them around instantly. 

Thing is, we see how these windows play out. It's difficult to bring in 6 top quality players in one window while selling 6.

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Thing is, we see how these windows play out. It's difficult to bring in 6 top quality players in one window while selling 6.

Well we signed Martinez, Watkins, Cash, Traore & Barkley in one window. All were first team players. So I think signing 5/6 this summer is doable

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well we signed Martinez, Watkins, Cash, Traore & Barkley in one window. All were first team players. So I think signing 5/6 this summer is doable

It could happen. Especially if Emery has gentleman's agreements in place already on players like Guendouzi, etc.

I do think it will be a busy summer. 

Unlike Gerrard, I think Unai has a specific identity of players he wants per position and is fine rotating certain current players, promoting academy, or not going for big money hunting. 

For me, Gerrard had this big money list and Purslow and co. balked at some of the targets. Last summer we had high wage signings in Coutinho, Diego, as well as Digne in January and then few out besides all our wingers. 

Unai seems ready to ship out certain players and keep others happy rotating so it’s a matter of identifying upgrades along the line. 

Gerrard at Rangers just kept signing and signing to his heart’s content. Unai has more experience in different clubs and structures and can work within these structures more. Don’t underestimate the actual work experience Unai has vs Gerrard.

Edited by DJBOB