Jhon Durán

PieFacE

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

He trained or is training with us at least… 

There is another John Montano aged 27

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Pretty much this.  Players of Duran's age grew up with Chelsea being one of the very best teams in the world for a long time, it's why the like of Caicedo went there instead of Liverpool.

Duran wants to play football. It's that simple and he's not happy being stuck behind a player like Watkins who is always fit, always in form and never seems to even tire. 

Chelsea plan is to sign the best young players on long contracts and allow them all to grow together into a top side. He fits that mould 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Duran wants to play football. It's that simple and he's not happy being stuck behind a player like Watkins who is always fit, always in form and never seems to even tire. 

Chelsea plan is to sign the best young players on long contracts and allow them all to grow together into a top side. He fits that mould 

That's working out great so far 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That's working out great so far 🤣

In fairness, they were on fire towards the end of the season.

We can laugh all we want, but the team is absolutely packed with high quality young talent, full of pace and power.

They've also had a load of injuries.

They simply have too much talent not to progress, and literally only finished 5 points behind us, which I dont think some realise.

That being said, I hope getting rid of Poch stunts their growth or resets and sends the whole process tits up again.

• Like 2

I'd like to see Duran given the responsibility next season of starting some prem games.

I completely agree with CVB, he just wants to start now after 18 months on the fringes.

Difficult though as we've played him and Ollie upfront together in a couple of games and it just doesn't work so that will likely be scrapped for next season.

Have Colombia called him up for the Copa America? If he's missing out on their squads regularly that will clearly be another issue for him.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Difficult though as we've played him and Ollie upfront together in a couple of games and it just doesn't work so that will likely be scrapped for next season.

A couple of caveats for me.

I don't think Ollie and Duran have every played together in a " Full Strength " XI, and partnerships like this need to be worked on before they are written off.

If anything, it's something we should work on in pre season and/or training to develop and see how it goes.

If we are keeping him.

I reckon an initial " promotion" should be simpler though, something as easy as giving him starts in all Cups and against " lesser " opposition.

Or giving him opportunities for more than 10 - 20 minutes at the end.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We can laugh all we want, but the team is absolutely packed with high quality young talent, full of pace and power.

They simply have too much talent not to progress, and literally only finished 5 points behind us, which I dont think some realise.

That being said, I hope getting rid of Poch stunts their growth or resets and sends the whole process tits up again.

Were they? Think it was more to do with being the end of the season and some teams were tired, or carrying injuries. Not convinced yet they can do it week in week out.

When they came up against a proper team eg Arsenal, the were destroyed.

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

They simply have too much talent not to progress, and literally only finished 5 points behind us, which I don't think some realise.

This is totally true.

They have huge talent with a massive upside if they get the right manager (which they appear to have had already in place btw....don't know why he has left now!).

The only thing stopping them being serious top 4 contenders next year is a Wayne Rooney like appointment.... which i don't think they will make tbh.

2 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

I have very a very tenuous link to someone who works for Chelsea.

The little snippets I've heard are:

1.Jhon Duran is a real target they like him a lot. He fits the profile of the type of player they want to bring to the club as he is young with a very high ceiling.

2. Last year they seriously put forward Ollie Watkins as a signing but no bid was made because he was considered to old.

Hahahaha. Idiots. He's only 28. This is why they play like lunatics chasing after an ice cream van. 

• Like 1

We were doing that start of the season, started v Hibs, Warsaw, Everton in the cup (I think). Mixed bag but that goal v Palace was a huge moment in our season for our mentality. He also scored in Warsaw the next game so at that stage it was something like 4 goals in 6 matches so I do think he was expecting to start Chelsea away.

Ollie scored in that which set him off and Duran was never going to start much afterwards.

There is far less chance him starting CL matches so he isn't hanging around to get a token league cup start.

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Is there any genuine interest in Duran or is this just fan speculation? 

West Ham wanted him on loan in Jan, Chelsea interest has been ongoing and his agent backed it up in a recent interview and said Poch leaving had no effect on that.

Doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going anywhere though…

Honestly don't think he's good enough to start for us at the moment, plenty of potential but I'd be inclined to bring in an experienced forward as backup to Ollie if he were to get injured rather than relying on Duran.

He had a very positive impact this season with some brilliant moments of quality but he really needs to mature his game before Unai trusts him to start games for us, can still play his part from the bench and it's a squad game and subs have a big part to play, he just needs to get his head down and keep learning and take his chances. He was rewarded with a start vs Palace and overall was poor, as was everyone else.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I agree JV. I’m shocked that they cut their ties with Poch. The players loved him and they started humming, this is definitely a positive for us. 

• Like 1

Â