Jhon Durán

PieFacE

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'm excited about how he is developing. I think come start of next season after a full preseason and 20 months living in UK he'll be a force for us. I can see him getting more starts. 

Mitoma at Brighton took several seasons to come good including initial loan to Union SG in Belgium

1 hour ago, TheMightyVillans said:

sounds like the tielemans lost in translation interview. People looking for a story out of nothing.

Totally forgot about this.

Time to log off.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Mitoma at Brighton took several seasons to come good including initial loan to Union SG in Belgium

I was reading and listening to different podcasts. There is a case made for the most promising players to not go out on loan and to stay and develop within the elite coaching of the first team. City do this with their best players and often loans are shop window situations for players to be sold. 

I think Chukwuemeka was in that camp before we sold him. Duran is, this new RB of we sign him will be. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

at the everton game a few fans were frustrated with his attempt which went wide in the box when he could have drilled it across the box and it probably would have been a goal....

Eh? How on earth could he have drilled that across the box? He was stretching to get a deft flick to an aerial cross from Matty Cash. It was 100% the right thing to try, probably the only thing he could have done.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Eh? How on earth could he have drilled that across the box? He was stretching to get a deft flick to an aerial cross from Matty Cash. It was 100% the right thing to try, probably the only thing he could have done.

Na there was definitely a chance earlier in the game, let me find it, it wasn’t that one 

• Like 1

The kid just turned 20. Got some huge strengths and weaknesses. He is a club project that Unai is happy to back. By the age of 23 he will either be banging the goals in for us or banging them in for another champions league club after we have made a profit on him.  He will not drift into obscurity. Theres too much about him not to. 

Might not look that great at the moment but once all the weaknesses have been addressed he will be a dream number 9. Pace , strength , thunderbstard shot and a huge leap on him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

So the chance I’m talking about went way wide and it wasn’t in any of the highlights packages 😂 but it was just after Duran and youri had come on, if you go to the match thread from 15:29-15:30pm a few people are talking about the missed chance….the one at the end of the game you mentioned with the cash cross, that was a great attempt and so unlucky, could have left with the 3 points on another day had he been slightly more fortunate with the chance 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villatillidie95 said:

So the chance I’m talking about went way wide and it wasn’t in any of the highlights packages 😂 but it was just after Duran and youri had come on, if you go to the match thread from 15:29-15:30pm a few people are talking about the missed chance….the one at the end of the game you mentioned with the cash cross, that was a great attempt and so unlucky, could have left with the 3 points on another day had he been slightly more fortunate with the chance 

Fair enough mate, my anxiety is that high during away games that I blank certain periods out 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think it was within a minute or two of him coming on, prime Marlon Harewood…

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Annoying… too many filling his head with crap…

Stick with Unai and you’ll be fine kid, ignore the noise…

Yep. The problem with international recognition too early in your career is that everyone thinks you are the finished article.  Theres loads to work on. And if he isnt a traditional no 9 then what is he ?  He is no good on the wing as he is only quick without the ball. 

On 17/01/2024 at 02:57, CVByrne said:

There is a case made for the most promising players to not go out on loan and to stay and develop within the elite coaching of the first team

Every time someone on here declares “Player X needs to go out on loan” I think hmm sometimes yes but sometimes maybe they are better off being coached by one of the world’s top managers every day than whoever is in charge of Swindon right now 

• Like 1

I think generally the upside to a loan is less the coaching-though that can have value-more so playing consistently at a level that's appropriate for their development. Duran came from the MLS, the championship would still be a significant increase in level of play.

Coaches have to assess relative benefits from less playing time at the parent club/better coaching vs. more playing time/less constructive training.

Im not sure what's best for Jhon, in the past I've thought he might benefit from starting and getting substantial minutes for a championship side but so far that doesn't appear to be the clubs plan. I certainly trust their judgment.

• Like 1

Wont last 5 minutes on loan - Needs a manager like Emery to nurture him. You put him in a lower league in the EFL and the boys will rip him a new arsehole. Can picture him walking in now with his bully big bollocks attitude and rubbing everybody up the wrong way. 

As fans I actually think we’ve wrapped him up in cotton wool a bit. Imagine we saw Watkins throwing his arms around after he’s been challenged and not tracking back. Dithering around instead of covering passing lanes. The stands would be all over him.

I’ve defended Duran time and time again, I like him as a player and want him to stay but while we can forgive footballing development, his mentality issues are the bigger concern and he needs to mature quickly if he’s to have the career he’s capable of. 

Because he plays like exactly what he currently is - a rash impetuous kid that picks up yellow cards like an infant picks up candy. 

There are many positive things you can say about Duran’s potential but I don’t think you would find a single Villa fan in the world that would say he currently plays with an old (wise) head on young shoulders. 

Edited by DakotaVilla
  • Like 3

Â