Jhon Durán

PieFacE

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Yep I feel he will be replacing Bailey as the punching bag

I think people need to get a grip and accept people from different backgrounds and cultures express themselves differently. He came on and was a whisker away from scoring the winner.  He wasn’t signed as a ready made starter we signed him to develop him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He nearly scored, caused a couple of goalmouth scrambles and was bullying Mykolenko and Braithwaite and they werent enjoying it

Yes, he had the one good effort almost on goal. Everything else, you're just clutching at straws here mate.

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

It is not a question of liking or disliking the player. I honestly don't even care that much about his sulking attitude, I just don't see nearly enough of an impact on the pitch.

You must hate the rest of the attacking players in our squad then. 

12 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I think some just don’t want to like him

I disagree. I think all Villa supporters want to like him After all he's playing and representing the club. 

Not sure why he is being criticised for yesterday.

Sheffield United yes as his hold up play and passing was awful in that one and he could've easily been sent off for the swing of the elbow. We also conceded straight from the free kick.

Yesterday he got about well and made a nice run to the near post and was a bit unlucky that didn't sneak into the corner. What I liked is he didn't react at all to the provocation from the Everton defenders. Dyche had clearly briefed them to wind him up and you saw Tarkowski and Mykolenko pushing him and getting in his ear so I think he did show he's learning there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

He wasn’t signed as a ready made starter we signed him to develop him.

Perhaps so, but we're unexpectedly at a stage, where we (IMHO) don't have a luxury of developing him in the short term. We need a more mature striker on the bench, that'll be able to make a real impact in games.

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

I really despair at all these comments of Duran 'doing well' or 'making an impact'. Maybe we're just watching a different game or another sport entirely. The only worthwhile impact from yesterday, was that cute, little flick, that almost went on goal, and that was in over 30 minutes of pitch-time.

Apart from that moment, he was mostly running around like a headless chicken, constantly raising his arms, moaning and shouting at others. Which tbh, is his usual contribution in most games. I suppose one positive from yesterdays game, was him not getting unnecessarily booked (for the umpteenth time).  

People are also very keen to point out a weekly basis, that he has an abundance of ability. What do we mean by 'ability' these days, and where exactly is this noticeable? 

I get it, he's a 20 year old kid, from a place, a tad more exotic than Exeter, and we all want him to do well, but his actual output thus far is simply shit.

His output was more than Bailey, Watkins and Diaby combined yesterday.

He did well.  He made an impact.

Before he came on we didn’t look like doing anything at all.  After he came on we looked a bit less like not doing anything at all.

Edited by Thug

1 minute ago, Thug said:

His output was more than Bailey, Watkins and Diaby combined yesterday.

Comments like this make it pointless to even discuss. We all see the game differently I suppose.

Edited by vreitti

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Perhaps so, but we're unexpectedly at a stage, where we (IMHO) don't have a luxury of developing him in the short term. We need a more mature striker on the bench, that'll be able to make a real impact in games.

We don't have that striker, if we did and Emery was still picking Duran you would have more of a point.

Edited by Mr_Dogg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

We don't have that striker, if we did and Emery was still picking Duran you would have more of a point.

True, in a way. FFW I'd still have played Zaniolo over Duran yesterday.

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Comments like this make it pointless to even discuss. We all see the game differently I suppose.

Comments like yours make it pointless to discuss.

The entire game we took short corners because we didn’t have any confidence in winning any aerial battle.  The entire game our crosses were easily dealt with.

He came on and suddenly we have a different avenue to exploit.  For 60 minutes we had Diaby and Bailey fail to create anything of real significance.  He came on, had a header on target.  Had a flick that went just wide, and had another header that went just wide.  But most importantly he gave us an aerial threat that Bailey and Diaby just didn’t give us.  

We had our tactics negated by their defence.  And we needed something different, that he did.

Hence he  ‘made an impact’

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vreitti said:

True, in a way. FFW I'd still have played Zaniolo over Duran yesterday.

Zaniolo would have come on and done more of the same of Diaby/Bailey.

We needed to try something different 

It's ok to separate the ability from the mentality. His behaviour on the pitch can be concerning and unfortunately that type of attitude does trend towards players not making it. If anyone knows how to handle this situation it'll be Emery and we'll know more in about 2 weeks time.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 2

Â