Jhon Durán

PieFacE

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Sorry to say this but we will not be taken seriously by the establishment or the average neutral until we win something.

We can spend as much as we want, we can beat the likes of Spurs or Chelsea or United, but let's be honest that's all a bit meaningless.

Do Unai and the team deserve credit for the improvements over the last year, yes of course, but why should anyone care outside of Villa unless that translates into silverware or top 4/6? 

I wouldn't give a **** if Brentford finished 7th this season and qualified for Conference League (for example), so why should the opposite be true?

We've done nothing yet.

You're partly right.....but to win things, its an incremental road towards getting good results and players building belief in each other.....beating Spurs and Chelsea away, is creating the building blocks to form the mentality and belief to win things.....winning trophies does not just arrive out of the blue, its a culmination of many factors, being achieved along the way, to reach the holy grail.......The work UE talks about, is that cumulative work, that takes us towards Silverware.

I often talk about clean sheets....they are a huge building block, towards becoming a really good team...its getting those kind of things right , that lead to trophies....Its the foundations for success.

No one outside B6 cares, even if we win things....even Brian Clough scoffed, when we had about 30 minutes coverage after winning the European cup.....They ( Media) couldn't wait to move on from it.

We are not in exactly a fashionable part of the country, for one, where not much positivity comes out of Birmingham.....If there was a degree course on Birmimgham, most Graduates would fail.

We have to persevere despite the diffidence towards us.....makes it all the more satisfying when we win.....Siege mentality.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Sorry to say this but we will not be taken seriously by the establishment or the average neutral until we win something.

We can spend as much as we want, we can beat the likes of Spurs or Chelsea or United, but let's be honest that's all a bit meaningless.

Do Unai and the team deserve credit for the improvements over the last year, yes of course, but why should anyone care outside of Villa unless that translates into silverware or top 4/6? 

I wouldn't give a **** if Brentford finished 7th this season and qualified for Conference League (for example), so why should the opposite be true?

We've done nothing yet.

Not necessarily.

I'm pretty sure teams like Brighton are now taken very seriously.

It takes time, we can't expect to escape relegation, finish  17th,11th, 14th and most recently conference league, then be " demanding "  to be taken seriously.

It takes time, consistency and a convincing upwards trajectory.

We are obviously biased, but aside from this, there defo are neutral fans and pundits who have identified us as a team to watch.

As a matter of fact as previously mentioned, there was a load of " Villa can finish Champions League " talk prior to season starting which i was apprehensive about. by neutrals and pundits.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not necessarily.

It takes time, we can't expect to escape relegation, finish  17th,11th, 14th and most recently conference league, then be " demanding "  to be taken seriously.

We are obviously biased, but aside from this, there defo are neutral fans and pundits who have identified us as a team to watch.

As a matter of fact as previously mentioned, there was a load of " Villa can finish Champions League " talk prior to season starting which i was apprehensive about. by neutrals and pundits.

By who, though?

The original post was about the morons on MOTM, Sky etc. Do you really think these dinosaurs, who are basically all spokespeople for the big clubs they love / played for, give a **** about Brighton? Of course they don't.

As much as I hate City it took years before people really took them seriously or treated them as anything but an aberration. Now they're firmly part of the establishment too, but it takes time and it takes success.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

I just can’t agree with this.  He’s not going to be dropped but he’s definitely not been one of our best players this season.

Thankfully you're not the coach.

Emery is able to analyze the overall performance not just looking at one aspect of the game.

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Thankfully you're not the coach.

Emery is able to analyze the overall performance not just looking at one aspect of the game.

How does this prove Emery doesn’t agree with me? I said he won’t be dropped but definitely not one of our best players of the season, Emery could think the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Absolutely smashed the goal on Saturday.  I don't think he lacks confidence.

Confidence is certainly not his achilles.....JD is full of it.

I don't think Players who play with aggression, suffer in the same way, for confidence loss....because they tend to MAKE things happen.

In my time as a pal, with Andy Gray, I never ever heard him talk about lacking confidence....He had not so good games, and he was critical of himself at times, but confidence was never an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

By who, though?

The original post was about the morons on MOTM, Sky etc. Do you really think these dinosaurs, who are basically all spokespeople for the big clubs they love / played for, give a **** about Brighton? Of course they don't.

As much as I hate City it took years before people really took them seriously or treated them as anything but an aberration. Now they're firmly part of the establishment too, but it takes time and it takes success.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but I think your reference to Dinosaurs, is a false implied narrative.....all the top managers have learnt from the past masters....

Pep is 52, Klopp is 56.....hardly whipper snappers are they?

I agree with your reference to bias.....but in terms of modern thinking in football, most of it has been tried before....its like fashion, it trends.

The Roy Hodgsons of this world, know more about football, than some of the younger managers, and they would be first to tell you that.

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think that as well but it makes sense when its a striker saying it. He knew the technique needed to score that goal was ridiculous as he would have tried it 100 times and 99 would have gone into the stands. 

He has it in his locker, I've seen it on his YT reel and also he hit the bar vs Man City last season in a carbon copy of this one.

Drogba, Benteke, and I would add Balotelli....... 

Shocking to think he is still developing, he is going to be so good for us, could even establish himself as a starter before the season finishes. As a team we are going to be so much better in the second half of the season (its about staying at the right end of the table until then), and I think he is one of the stories that will emerge along with Diaby, Torres, Zaniolo, Ramsey, Moreno and Tielemans as they establish themselves.

Edited by thunderball

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

How does this prove Emery doesn’t agree with me? I said he won’t be dropped but definitely not one of our best players of the season, Emery could think the same.

He didn't buy another striker in the summer so clearly he doesn't look at the striker situation as "alarming" as Villatalk does.

You always seem to want an excuse to bash Watkins despite him clearly being one of our most important players.

• Like 1

That goal was incredible.

Having played a bit in my day, I can tell you that hitting a bouncing ball, that far off the ground, while it is still rising, and keeping it on target is incredibly difficult. You almost have to hit it twice as hard as well, to delay the spin imparting on the ball before it gets to the goal, which is what so often sees that kind of chance clear the crossbar.

There are plenty of world-class players out there who presented with the same chance would put it in the stands.

When you throw in the match situation as well, it's just an incredible finish.

I don't like the Benteke comparisons, I think their attributes are different, I feel like Duran is much more mobile and aggressive, and Benteke was just a monster in the air, every time the ball went in the box it felt like a chance with him in the team, I've yet to see much of Duran's aerial prowess, but he'd do well to get close to Benteke in that respect. Different doesn't mean better or worse, and different is absolutely fine.

I like Duran, he can finish that's for sure, he's got all the attributes and seems very willing, just needs the right guidance and we could have a real player on our hands.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

He didn't buy another striker in the summer so clearly he doesn't look at the striker situation as "alarming" as Villatalk does.

You always seem to want an excuse to bash Watkins despite him clearly being one of our most important players.

Maybe he couldn’t get the player he wanted, Emery has spoken several times about getting another striker in.  He doesn’t say forward he says striker.  Many reports over the summer linked with a striker and even local reporting has been saying going to retry in January for another top striker. So just because he didn’t get one in the summer doesn’t mean he hasn’t been trying.

I have been critical of Ollie when he’s been on one of his long poorer streaks like now, just as I was complimenting him when was on one of his good streaks.  I’ve been more critical of the club for not having an alternative to be fair.  So I have talked both sides whereas you are defending him however he plays, which is your right.  I just feel I’m more balanced about his play.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not necessarily.

People forgot all what happened in the summer and remember Newcastle 5-1, then Liverpool 3-0.

So our wins look fluke for them, possibly even our 7th last season. 
For me I prefer it this way, gain points keep in touch and let them think what they want. 

This team still has things that it haven’t shown yet. Two major injuries from the preseason, now two will hopefully be back. New players settling, working to get the right balance. Add to that dealing with pressure of more games. 

Even if we hopefully beat Chelsea, people will speak about how Chelsea are bad which is again better for us.

Last season Newcastle were in a very good form, they lost their form and confidence on the most important moment (League Cup final), but they managed to get back and even beat Man Utd easily. We were going to lose our confidence as well after Utd, but gladly achieved what we want. I remember we were on a perfect form under Sherwood, just to lose every part of confidence before the cup final against Arsenal.

Right now we have players to come back, and players who are settling (Youri, Carlos Zaniolo), and players who are already improving (Duran, Diaby, Torres). There are players who are improving from last season as (Cash, Bailey and Dinge). 

Getting back to Duran, I think he’ll benefit a lot from Europe and hopefully a cup run (and a win), which might help him getting few league starts as well.

45 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

That goal was incredible.

Having played a bit in my day, I can tell you that hitting a bouncing ball, that far off the ground, while it is still rising, and keeping it on target is incredibly difficult. You almost have to hit it twice as hard as well, to delay the spin imparting on the ball before it gets to the goal, which is what so often sees that kind of chance clear the crossbar.

There are plenty of world-class players out there who presented with the same chance would put it in the stands.

When you throw in the match situation as well, it's just an incredible finish.

I don't like the Benteke comparisons, I think their attributes are different, I feel like Duran is much more mobile and aggressive, and Benteke was just a monster in the air, every time the ball went in the box it felt like a chance with him in the team, I've yet to see much of Duran's aerial prowess, but he'd do well to get close to Benteke in that respect. Different doesn't mean better or worse, and different is absolutely fine.

I like Duran, he can finish that's for sure, he's got all the attributes and seems very willing, just needs the right guidance and we could have a real player on our hands.

I don't think he's the same monster in the air that Benteke was. But the way Benteke imparted powrr with his head was like no other. That being said I wouldn't be shocked if Duran would be able to get to some balls in a way benteke could never simply because he's got like another foot on his vertical. 

No chance JD starts in Poland. Unai will go as strong as possible until we are effectively through. Also, his temperament is too rash to risk in a hostile European environment. Ollie starts, as he should for a game like this. 

14 minutes ago, eholm said:

No chance JD starts in Poland. Unai will go as strong as possible until we are effectively through. Also, his temperament is too rash to risk in a hostile European environment. Ollie starts, as he should for a game like this. 

You reckon? We got 6 games to finish top 2. I’d rather we went stronger against Chelsea. 

6 hours ago, est1874 said:

Sorry to go off topic but...the media may never take us seriously. Who cares?

Clearly other teams are taking us seriously. We finished behind Palace in 2019-20 and 2021-22, and only a few places ahead of them in 2020-21. Two season later and now they think that they have to play park-the-bus because they can't cope with our attack any other way. We're going to see more of that as we become a top-6 side.

5 hours ago, est1874 said:

By who, though?

Us and Brighton might not be taken seriously by the muppets on TV and in the papers but you can bet people actually working in the game like other managers know they will be in for a very hard game.

• Like 2

Â