Jhon Durán

PieFacE

4 hours ago, TRO said:

but we are not relying on them...we are nurturing them....Jhon Duran is 19  and learning to be a complete striker, the progress has to be incremental.

Agreed, my reference to relying on them was mainly in a contingency sense; in the team as constituted, if Ollie was to go down Duran/Archer would presumably play a big part in filling that gap. As you say progress should be incremental, if a situation like that was to arise I just hope it wouldn’t create a steeper incremental jump than Duran is prepared for at this point 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, grantholtgolazo said:

Agreed, my reference to relying on them was mainly in a contingency sense; in the team as constituted, if Ollie was to go down Duran/Archer would presumably play a big part in filling that gap. As you say progress should be incremental, if a situation like that was to arise I just hope it wouldn’t create a steeper incremental jump than Duran is prepared for at this point 

I get what you are saying.....but I think, such is the faith Unai has in these boys ( Albeit not the finished article) he is willing to take his chance, in nurturing them through.

If Ollie stays fit, for some time and they get game time......The development will start to show.....Look how JJ and Dougie have come on in leaps and bounds....sure they have had game time ( when we wasn't so good as a team)

I think the UE plan for JD and CA is the correct one.

14 hours ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I'm not too concerned in that scenario now we have Diaby.  He is such a goal threat, i'd not be surprised if he's our top scorer this season, or very close to it behind Watkins.

35 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'm really curious about Duran. Be interesting to see how he develops under Emery this season. 

We barely got a look at him really, 10 minute or so cameos doesn’t tell you much does it?

I’d like to think that his shot against the bar vs Man City was a small glimpse/insight into what he has to offer… he has a great attitude on the pitch too…

Could be the player the club thought Wes was going to become for us and/or the “next Benteke”…

Need to see more of him really… get him involved during preseason asap. Don’t know the nature of his injury…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We barely got a look at him really, 10 minute or so cameos doesn’t tell you much does it?

I’d like to think that his shot against the bar vs Man City was a small glimpse/insight into what he has to offer… he has a great attitude on the pitch too…

Could be the player the club thought Wes was going to become for us and/or the “next Benteke”…

Need to see more of him really… get him involved during preseason asap. Don’t know the nature of his injury…

Yeah for sure, he's a massively unknown quantity but you'd imagine for us to spend a decent whack on him and for Emery to not want to loan him, we must really see something there - hence my curiosity. 

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yeah for sure, he's a massively unknown quantity but you'd imagine for us to spend a decent whack on him and for Emery to not want to loan him, we must really see something there - hence my curiosity. 

Yeah, agreed. We need to see what he has to offer and give him enough game time, whether that’s here or on loan somewhere…

can’t imagine the way he was used last season to be that beneficial for his development at this age…needs to find consistency…

In a way, he was better off playing consistently for Chicago and getting goals…

Edited by Jas10

20 hours ago, TRO said:

but we are not relying on them...we are nurturing them....Jhon Duran is 19  and learning to be a complete striker, the progress has to be incremental.

development creeps up on us....look at JJ now, these young players will only do so much early learning, the rest will be done, where they want to go, the first team.

The ambition, is what any one person wants to put on it.....personally, I think its a bit early to be looking in advance at champions league places...We need to establish, top 6, and make steady progress from there.

Having said all that....winning games can take you anywhere, lets just win the next game, every time ( which is what we are doing) and see where it takes us.

The JJ example is a great one… Deano was giving him significant game time when he didn’t really stand out either… he has developed so well so fast.

It’s what a player like Duran needs. Off the bench cameos (10-15 mins, seeing games out)… I’m not crazy about…

None of us have seen enough of this young player to form an accurate opinion of his potential for us.

Unai Emery and his coaches have seen him up close, so the fact that Emery says Duran is not going out on loan means that he sees something in him and want's to work with him.

I'll watch his development with interest. JD certainly sounds like he's up for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

The JJ example is a great one… Deano was giving him significant game time when he didn’t really stand out either… he has developed so well so fast.

It’s what a player like Duran needs. Off the bench cameos (10-15 mins, seeing games out)… I’m not crazy about…

That was my main point.....JJ was given an opportunity, as was Jack in his early days.

These boys, have to be given a chance, and juding by the reaction in the press conferences UE will give it to them.

I am not going to say, how that game time is offered, thats for the maestro to decide....but I am pretty sure, they weigh heavily  in his thoughts for incremental development.

Ollie staying fit will play a significant role in all that.

• Like 1

I did think he'd benefit from a season out in a Spanish speaking country or something before reading this comment. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Could be as simple as he's still a 19 year old kid from Colombia who moved to Chicago at 18 then moved to Birmingham

Rather than send him out on loan to say Portugal or Spain or even the championship and say Preston with their conveyor belt of loan strikers or boro following archers successful loan there how about we just let the kid settle down and look after him, time is on his side, a loan can come in even 2 years time, let him get his feet under the table at villa before we try and upheave him again

He's had a lot to deal with for a young guy, best to maybe just let him settle and find himself a bit England first. If he's desperate to play more football and we're out of Europe and the Carabao then maybe in January we can reassess. 

I just can't work out how he fits in with Watkins and Archer and anyone else we bring in before the window shuts, so that's what I'm curious to find out as the season goes on. It's jarring to go from Watkins is the only striker and he'll play almost every minute, to fighting on four fronts and who's getting game time where. 

• Like 2

Â