Jhon Durán

PieFacE

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Looks very raw still. Also looks like his weaker foot (right) is pretty decent. Seems like is is cool under pressure also. This first touch can be a bit heavy though.

First touch is teachable thankfully, whereas composure and playing with weaker foot can take years to coach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

That's fair. I just wish he was a good finisher 😭

If he could improve in that department, we would have some player on our hands. He also comes across as a really decent individual who has that yearning to better himself. The fact we didn't bring another striker in, tells you, I think, that Emery believes Watkins can be the striker to get us where we want to be.

Looks very very raw on that video, took his 2 goals well & that cross at the end of video was exceptional. He looks ragged, sloppy & like I said at the top raw & that's up against defenders in the states, wouldn't know where to put that league in the equivalent European leagues. What I'm saying is he will be up against some of the best defenders on the planet in the Premier league so I think he will find it very hard for awhile just hope the fans stay with him & just let him adjust at his own pace it may take a season or 2 to know if he will make it or not. But he does finish well when given the opportunity.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, est1874 said:

First touch is teachable thankfully, whereas composure and playing with weaker foot can take years to coach.

One asset that is vital for strikers is self - belief. Lineker had it abundance, likewise Shearer. Not sure it can be coached, but some manager's can instill confidence into their players, especially strikers who have a tendency to go through spells where they sometimes can't find the back of that net and begin to doubt themselves. I think the length of time that they start to doubt themselves is what separates the good strikers from the really great strikers. 

• Like 1

On 24/01/2023 at 11:55, sheepyvillian said:

Great message from Pablo. What a handsome man he was in his prime, and not a bad player either. Hopefully we can have the same connection with Duran.

good job we never had a ladies team, then.....too much distraction.

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

It’s really not - if you don’t have it, you don’t have it. A first touch and composure are almost exactly the same. 
imo 

• Like 1

Agreed you've either have a first touch like the elite players ....like for example Zinedine Zidane one of my favourite players of all time his first touch was off the scale, he didn't have to think it just happened, ridiculously good. You can work on your first touch for sure & you can get better but you can't teach to get as good as say Zidanes first touch, think your just born with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

I disagree. Touch is the least teachable skill IMO… by a certain age, you either have it or you don’t.

It will be his main problem in the PL. He has all the other attributes.

25 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

It’s really not - if you don’t have it, you don’t have it. A first touch and composure are almost exactly the same. 
imo 

I'm not too sure. First touch is a lot easier with no pressure to distract you, however,  when it's a matter of that first touch having to be perfect for a player to assist or take a goalscoring opportunity then it's a different matter. A perfect example of this was the goal Luiz scored at Tottenham. 

I remember Dean Smirh saying we have good training ground players, meaning they're great with no pressure around, but once they get to a packed Villa Park, it's a whole different scenario. 

42 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

imo 

You've never played then. When I was growing up my first touch was the worst thing about my game. I worked hard on it and now my first touch is probably the best part of my football.

Not sure where you got the idea that first touch isn't teachable or learnable. And it may be fed into by composure but very much not the same thing at all, it's closer to skill - and there are millions of skillful players around the world with poor composure.

Edited by est1874

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

You've never played then. When I was growing up my first touch was the worst thing about my game. I worked hard on it and now my first touch is probably the best part of my football.

Not sure where you got the idea that first touch isn't teachable or learnable. And it's related to composure but very much nog the same thing at all, it's closer to skill - and there millions of skillful players around the world with no composure whatsoever.

Are you a professional footballer who has been coached by professionals from a young age, though?

If you’ve been through the pro youth systems for 5+ years it will be obvious whether your touch is up to scratch, and the improvements will be minor.

Or, as @sheepyvilliansays it can be a composure issue (translating good touch on the training ground to high pressure situations).

But my feeling is the guy just naturally has a slightly heavy touch, and it will be exposed by PL defenders.

That’s not to say he’ll be a flop… it’s not essential to have an amazing touch to be a dangerous attacking player. But it helps a lot.

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

A perfect example of this was the goal Luiz scored at Tottenham. 

Dougie is a good example, though, of a player who clearly just has always had a great touch. That’s why he was at Man City. It’s the main thing they look for in all positions.

He looks League 1 at the moment. Just like the level he was playing at. But he has been bought for the future rather than for now.  Lots of people with far more understanding of football than me see real potential in him. 

Holding the ball up will be key. And that will come with time.  He can shoot for sure.  

A big old unit at 19 and a quarter. The next 2 years will see him really gain strength to go with the build. 

Interestingly i think him and Archer would be an incredible front 2 . 

Edited by MWARLEY2

I wouldn’t expect to see him any time soon. People have mentioned his touch but his biggest weakness atm is he doesn’t protect the ball well enough, lots of instances in that video of defenders nicking the ball of him. He looks like he has a lot of potential though. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Seems like as all action type of player who loves to get involved in the game. Crazy he can pull of this type of performance at 18 years of age. Lets not forget he's younger than Carney, Barry, Tim, Kesler, Aaron Ramsey, 

Insane talent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7RXx089_UE

That video was fun to watch. My highlights were the Scottish (?) Kermit that showed up at 1:35 as well as the reincarnation of 2015 Grealish that scored the 2nd goal

• Haha 1

Â