Gaming 2023

JoshVilla

MGS3 Remake is an instapurchase. I'm also enough of a sucker to buy the collection again. **** love those games.

It would be nice for another remake if 1 to happen though...

Spiderman 2 I just need now.

FF16 I'm intrigued by.

Phantom Blade was interesting.

All in all decent, solidly good, but not megaton great.

Overall it was not a great show if you were looking for the future of PlayStation as an exclusives driven entity. There was Spider-Man 2 which is great for those that liked the first game, but overall I was surprised at how many multiplatform games they showed at this event. There were big games, but many of them are games that people can buy elsewhere. Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater is on PS5, Series X|S and PC. Dragon's Dogma 2 is likely on PS5, Series X|S and PC. Alan Wake 2 is on PS5, Series X|S and PC. A lot of the indie games are likely coming to other platforms and many of them are likely also tied to a Game Pass deal because Xbox are good at that. 

It wasn't a bad show, the games shown were good games aside from some of the weird as shit live service games that were shown... Foamstars? Go home Square Enix you're drunk. I just think I was expecting more because this was the first PlayStation Showcase in 2-years, but I guess many of Sony's first party studios just aren't ready to show their stuff yet unfortunately.  

I will say they're was a lot of stuff that feels 'live service-y' at the start, which given Sony's recent open discussion of wanting a handful of service games... Ugh.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I will say they're was a lot of stuff that feels 'live service-y' at the start, which given Sony's recent open discussion of wanting a handful of service games... Ugh.

Fairgame$, Concord, and Marathon are all first party live service games that are launching on PS5 & PC simultaneously, and in the case of Marathon it's also launching on Series X|S at the same time as PS5 & PC. 

Live service is Sony's focus going forward. Their recent earnings call outlined that single player spending would be decreasing (by 5%) to 40% between now and 2025, while live service spending will be increasing to 60% in the same span of time. It'll be curious to see how this plan works out for them, but I imagine many people didn't buy a PS5 to play live service multiplayer games. 

Also as a reminder, Sony wanted to have 10 live service games out by 2025. Now, that number may have dropped recently as Sony did recently cancel two games that were in the works, but we don't know if those cancellations were live service games, so best case scenario it's now 8 live service games by 2025 which isn't much of an improvement.

18 hours ago, villarule123 said:

I've never played MGS properly before (only messing around as a kid), would now be a good time?

I've been playing it for the first time lately (I had an N64 growing up). It's still such a great experience today. The story telling and cinematic experience hold up superbly well, you can imagine how groundbreaking it was at the time.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I've been playing it for the first time lately (I had an N64 growing up). It's still such a great experience today. The story telling and cinematic experience hold up superbly well, you can imagine how groundbreaking it was at the time.

Did you play ps1 or game cube?

It was definitley groundbreaking and a huge game, maybe easy to forget just how big the MGS games were, I'd put it up there with franchises such as RE and FF

1* was incredible and should get the full remake it's a proper 10/10 in the conversation for best game ever, 2 was maybe overly weird and couldn't replicate the great characters of 1 but took a huge leap in gameplay mechanics, 3 for me was nothing special so I'm surprised that's the one getting the remake, 4 went too heavy on the story and lost me, 5 is pretty good with some absolutely genius elements to it but has a terrible slow opening level

If you're a retro gamer have you ever played Zone of the Enders? I loved that kojima game too, that to me probably feels like vagrant story to FF, I wonder how many people know of it let alone played it, that should be remade too

* I know it's not the first one...

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Did you play ps1 or game cube?

It was definitley groundbreaking and a huge game, maybe easy to forget just how big the MGS games were, I'd put it up there with franchises such as RE and FF

1* was incredible and should get the full remake it's a proper 10/10 in the conversation for best game ever, 2 was maybe overly weird and couldn't replicate the great characters of 1 but took a huge leap in gameplay mechanics, 3 for me was nothing special so I'm surprised that's the one getting the remake, 4 went too heavy on the story and lost me, 5 is pretty good with some absolutely genius elements to it but has a terrible slow opening level

If you're a retro gamer have you ever played Zone of the Enders? I loved that kojima game too, that to me probably feels like vagrant story to FF, I wonder how many people know of it let alone played it, that should be remade too

* I know it's not the first one...

PS1. I heard the GC remake is not as good. Plus I like to experience the originals first.

I have both Zone of the Ender's games and I've yet to play them fully. They're on the backlog. The gameplay and graphics were really good from what I remember. I didn't even realize they were Kojima games, wow now I'm really intrigued.

Unbelievablely terrible reviews for Gollum. The 'give head' meme on reddit had me absolutely howling.

Edited by hogso

Nice to see Diablo IV getting great reviews across the board.

Definitely my most anticipated game of 2023 and a first day purchase next week.

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Nice to see Diablo IV getting great reviews across the board.

Definitely my most anticipated game of 2023 and a first day purchase next week.

Yeah I think in going to pick this up too. My missus said she didn't like the viewpoint it's played from but she hasn't seen the earlier games in the series.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

EA have announced a AAA black panther single player game

Produced by a studio of ex Monolith devs, who worked on Shadow of Mordor. Which interestingly started out as a Batman game. And then got **** when they made a sequel that they nickel and dimed to shit which EA love.

Which all comes together into a a nice shit sandwich. On paper you can make a fantastic third person open world action game with Black Panther. They've said it's a reactive world, which with their history they know is going to have people thinking about the Nemesis system and what could be done with similar concepts and ideas. You've got a lovely little opportunity for something very cool.

But then you remember Shadow of War, and you remember it's EA, and you realise it's going to be riddled with stuff to pay for.

Theres a world where MTX never happened, and games were better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Really pleased to see the Star Ocean 2 remake getting some awesome reviews. It always was a great game, and it seems to be one of those remakes that manages to balance QoL features with a graphical upgrade which is in line with the original art design. 

Â