Bath City's Alex Fletcher - collision with hoardings

Tom13

I hate the things. They always seem so dangerous to me. Surprised there aren't more injuries to be honest given how often we see players colliding with them.

Hope the player recovers ok.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

Yeah I’ve said for a while there’s going to be a serious accident sooner or later.

Especially somewhere like old Trafford where the pitch is elevated. If somebody gets nudged or pushed at the wrong time they could really clatter the boards. And the digital ones are heavy ****

15 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I hate the things. They always seem so dangerous to me. Surprised there aren't more injuries to be honest given how often we see players colliding with them.

Hope the player recovers ok.

I would imagine he more likely collided with the concrete post that holds the boards. Wish him well with his recovery sounds like a terrible incident 

"Concrete advertising hoarding" :( How the actual **** are they even allowed to make them out of concrete? I feel like this could be the kind of accident that makes them illegal.

Link to full article

Bath City postpone their next two matches with striker Alex Fletcher still in a critical condition following emergency brain surgery after colliding head-first with a concrete advertising board, leaving players and staff 'deeply affected'

64355807-11407033-image-a-18_16679843224

• Bath City's next two matches have been postponed with their striker in hospital
  • Alex Fletcher suffered a serious head injury in the last match vs Dulwich Hamlet
  • Fletcher collided head-first with a pitch-side advertising board after five minutes
  • In a statement from his parents, they said he required emergency neurosurgery
  • Fletcher is now in a 'stable but critical condition' in intensive care at hospital

Non-league football team Bath City have postponed their next two matches with one of their players in a critical condition in intensive care after crashing head-first into a pitch-side concrete advertising board.

There was immediate concern for Alex  Fletcher, 23, following the sickening collision in the fifth minute of their last match against Dulwich Hamlet. 

After an initial stoppage of 30 minutes, to allow the striker some treatment, the match was abandoned as he left Twerton Park in an ambulance. 

More in link

Tragic.  Really hope he recovers. 

Who ever thought it was a good idea to have slabs of concrete line the outside of a football pitch.

And that said, the current digital ones aren't much better. A head first collision into one of those would likely cause the same situation.  They're bolted to the floor and going nowhere. 

I think I remember a clip I saw of something like this happening in a lower league game in Croatia or somewhere. 

They had a concrete wall basically all the way around the pitch. A player collided with it and I think he died.

It's ridiculous that it's even a thing. I get these lower league clubs probably can't afford the advertising hoardings higher League clubs have but surely concrete is just asking for something like this to happen. 

Hope he pulls through. 

51 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Tragic.  Really hope he recovers. 

Who ever thought it was a good idea to have slabs of concrete line the outside of a football pitch.

And that said, the current digital ones aren't much better. A head first collision into one of those would likely cause the same situation.  They're bolted to the floor and going nowhere. 

Traore ran into a metal bar vs Newcastle that could have been naaty during the lockdown season

Some actually called him soft for not playing on, which brings to the next point I got uncomfortable the booing Emi got for his concussion last week and if this happened in the top flight I wouldnt be surprised if similar would have happened😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Hopefully continues to improve. 

Hopefully so to the point of full recovery.

And hopefully whatever recovery he makes, this is used as a catalyst to improve the safety of the lower league pitches.

Found a picture of the cement sponsorship walls and I'm utterly shocked. Never even played a Sunday league game with a danger that close to the pitch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Â