Unai Emery

PeterSw

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Where did I say that? 

When you said "Arsenal fans appear to have been right".

Unless you think they were wrong to hound him out, in which case they weren't right?

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Unai took over we were in a relegation battle. I think we should remember that before we get too upset with being fifth in February. If he left, we would likely be doing much worse. Let’s get behind him (and the team) when they need us most. Up the Unai (Kenneth!!!). UTV

• Like 3

Just now, M_Afro said:

When Unai took over we were in a relegation battle. I think we should remember that before we get too upset with being fifth in February. If he left, we would likely be doing much worse. Let’s get behind him (and the team) when they need us most. Up the Unai (Kenneth!!!). UTV

That's all very true but again we had the chance and we have possibly messed it up. Ultimately if Emery can't do it here nobody can really. 

Great manager and not doubting him, but I think he got it wrong this week especially not getting subs on earlier Weds when the game had gone. We should also be starting with the intensity we had in the middle of the game. If we'd started quicker we wouldn't have lost that game today. 

He can only put the players in the best positions they fit in and thought he got the lineup and tactics bang on for the first time in a while. Substitution was not great but Bailey was clearly done. 

Had any of our players managed to put the ball away from Onana and we would’ve came away with points. 

10 minutes ago, Mantis said:

When you said "Arsenal fans appear to have been right".

Unless you think they were wrong to hound him out, in which case they weren't right?

They were right about his teams dropping off in form after X amount of time… 

Now, I’m happy for him to have lots more time to turn it around based on the fact we weren't already an ‘elite’ side. But if this continues for the rest of the season then I’m going to have more questions about his ability to manage in this league and whether he can actually infiltrate the Sky 6. Some will say that’s a bit early, but I think we have looked horrible for 2 months…6 months of this will be pretty concerning. 

Edited by Tayls

Just now, Tayls said:

They were right about his teams dropping off in form after X amount of time… 

Now, I’m happy for him to have lots more time to turn it around based on the fact we weren't already an ‘elite’ side. But if this continues for the rest of the season then I’m going to have more questions about his ability to manage in this league and whether he can actually infiltrate the Sky 6. 

Didn't they claim that his teams were always crap in his second season? That hasn't happened so far.

Don’t attach any blame to Emery for the result. We could all see the drop off before the second goal and he was raging about it. We played well and deserved to win. Elite football is fine margins and we were very unlucky today. We’ll be a different team with Pau, Konsa and Digne starting in the back 4. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, quazzie goat said:

Don’t attach any blame to Emery for the result. We could all see the drop off before the second goal and he was raging about it.

He was raging yeah, yet he waited again until we concede before making further changes. Not turning on Emery in any way, but he does seem to have a knack the last few games of leaving changes until after the game has gone.

Edited by Tom13

I have no idea how he thinks we had control of the game. Every time we lost the ball they were basically through on goal. All the fans around me in the ground were saying the same from the 30th minute and he didn’t try and sure up the midfield 

Sorry to say Emery has done a top job , but let's cut the bs his last 3 games it's been diabolical.  Same mistakes continue to happen and puzzling subs and should shake up the personal injuries or not.

• Confused 3

Have to say one of the only things Emery has let me down so far is that I genuinely thought he'd broken the Man United curse. Obviously not.

Now I've accepted that they will always to this to us. I absolutely despise them.

• Like 1

Going to have his work cut out trying to get this squad over the line in fifth. Too many minutes played for all of our most important players. We need a better squad. 

Edited by villa89

7 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

But if someone has an opinion that the season is over, there's nothing wrong with that. 

Just like there's nothing wrong with people being happy we 'have been' up there with the big boys. 

There's too many players that are nowhere near good enough, or could be arsed over last two months

I don’t think it’s a case of can’t be arsed. It’s a mentality thing.

The pressure of Aston Villa qualifying for champions league requires a different kind of mentality than what these guys are used to. 

Don Unai obviously is a CL manager. But a lot of the squad aren’t used to that kind of pressure and the run in is going to amplify that. 

We need Pau back and having Digne in there will help massively. Games like today we could have done with Mings too. 

I know Mings hasn’t played CL but his mentality is so strong and he’s a genuine leader. 

Once Don Unai has had 2/3 more windows the squad will be the way he wants it and he will be challenging for CL regularly. 

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I don’t think it’s a case of can’t be arsed. It’s a mentality thing.

The pressure of Aston Villa qualifying for champions league requires a different kind of mentality than what these guys are used to. 

Don Unai obviously is a CL manager. But a lot of the squad aren’t used to that kind of pressure and the run in is going to amplify that. 

We need Pau back and having Digne in there will help massively. Games like today we could have done with Mings too. 

I know Mings hasn’t played CL but his mentality is so strong and he’s a genuine leader. 

Once Don Unai has had 2/3 more windows the squad will be the way he wants it and he will be challenging for CL regularly. 

I think Unai is a Europa League manager. That's where he has done his best work (won it four times) and mostly played in throughout his career. 

I'm happy being a regular Europa team, we aren't going to do better than that so Unai is the best man for us. We might qualify for the CL via a Europa League win, but I doubt we are going to get there via the league, Emery has very rarely done that in his career except at PSG and early on at Valencia, his usual finishing position is in a Europa League spot. 

The disappointing thing is we were in a prime position to get Champions League and we've thrown it all away yet again. 

Â