Unai Emery

PeterSw

49 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s a good point. 

Emery can’t juggle much, but he can change the system to make us harder to beat. 

Emery system relies on players not making brain fart passes that lead to goals which has accounted for some of our recent losses and draws

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Emery system relies on players not making brain fart passes that lead to goals which has accounted for some of our recent losses and draws

I would suspect all systems are undone by this. Kamara has been especially guilty of this recently. He's a great player but needs to work on distribution, even if he just gives it to Dougie as his pivot-mate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do you think poor passes leading to goals has been the issue with our performances the last two months?

I'm concerned it's legs and we're running out of steam.

We have been whack.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Do you think poor passes leading to goals has been the issue with our performances the last two months?

I'm concerned it's legs and we're running out of steam.

We have been whack.

2 of the passes I'm thinking of were Carlos vs Bournemouth and Manure and that's just shit play. Already posted today I think he's a Gerrard flop but with FFP we're stuck with what we've got. Kamara vs Chelsea was poor but many were off it. 

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

😂

I mean...

Firstly. Carragher is a bellend.

But if we were to finish 4th and win the conference league...that is easily our best season in nearly 30 years. And it's definitely better than that IMO.

If it ends up being the peak, it's a **** high peak.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I mean...

Firstly. Carragher is a bellend.

But if we were to finish 4th and win the conference league...that is easily our best season in nearly 30 years. And it's definitely better than that IMO.

If it ends up being the peak, it's a **** high peak.

Oh absolutely… but if we managed to achieve it… why couldn’t we sustain it? Why can’t we be consistent or achieve more? Especially with Unai in charge?

It’s the kind if achievement that would give us precisely the “leg up” or boost that we need…

They don’t like it when the apple cart is disturbed…

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Oh absolutely… but if we managed to achieve it… why couldn’t we sustain it? Why can’t we be consistent or achieve more? Especially with Unai in charge?

It’s the kind if achievement that would give us precisely the “leg up” or boost that we need…

They don’t like it when the apple cart is disturbed…

Yeah, stupid thing to say.

If City do the treble again, it would be wiser to savour it as if it is the peak of a glorious Pep Guardiola reign, not necessarily a taste of what’s to come.

39 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

😂

Obviously it's a quote that's a tad out of context because it's interaction bait, but reading the whole article, it's annoying because he's touching on points that are objectively correct (The Sky 6's wealth allows them to win trophies consistently), but completely falls flat on his face and blames the 'underperformance' of ambitious teams like Villa and Newcastle (as disgusting as the reasons for Newcastle being in that 'ambitious' category are), rather than stopping to ponder the bigger picture of how modern football is set up to prevent these teams from consistently competing (and why...).

Edited by wishywashy

1 minute ago, wishywashy said:

Obviously it's a quote that's a tad out of context because it's interaction bait, but reading the whole article, it's annoying because he's touching on points that are objectively correct (The Sky 6's wealth allows them to win trophies consistently), but completely falls flat on his face and blames the 'underperformance' of ambitious teams like Villa and Newcastle, rather than stopping to ponder the bigger picture of how modern football is set up to prevent these teams from consistently competing (and why...).

Yeah tbf would need to read the full article to get full context but it’s also effective click bait…

Thing is, would Unai see that as our peak and be satisfied with that? I sincerely think not… again, it would give us a major boost and expand our capacity and capability…

I’m convinced he and the owners are much more ambitious than that… I also think he would be more heavily backed by NSWE (who must be absolutely delighted with him) were it not for FFP and PSR…

1 minute ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Carragher talking balls. Whatever next, a Sunday following a Saturday?

If anything, I’m just amused by it… may indicate that we are perceived as a threat of sorts… which is pleasing…

With Klopp leaving… Liverpool have to get their next appointment right or risk falling behind and losing out to teams around them… key players may leave also…

We genuinely have one of the very best managers around and in this league… why can’t we aim high?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah tbf would need to read the full article to get full context but it’s also effective click bait…

Thing is, would Unai see that as our peak and be satisfied with that? I sincerely think not… again, it would give us a major boost and expand our capacity and capability…

I’m convinced he and the owners are much more ambitious than that… I also think he would be more heavily backed by NSWE (who must be absolutely delighted with him) were it not for FFP and PSR…

That's where, if Carragher wanted to make an actually good point, he'd question how English football is set up financially specifically to prevent these 'ambitious clubs' he's talking about from even trying to compete on a level playing field with the 'established' elite (even when they play smarter and get managers such as Emery and assemble great teams). Meanwhile, the Sly 6 can throw away hundreds of millions (even billions) before even having to begin to worry about things like FFP. But he completely fails to see the bigger picture and just blames the historic underperformance of these clubs instead.

So it just ends up being an empty, silly article that ends up pissing off both Chelsea and Villa fans alike. A cynical person would say that might have been the Telegraph's goal.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

I have to be honest, I found it very difficult to disagree with any of the article. Of course it is not impossible for us to quantify for the CL for the next 3/4/5 seasons, but the numbers suggest that it is very difficult for one of the sides outside of the 5 that have been consistently successful to sustain such good form over a number of seasons.

I respect the fact that the article didn’t just buy into Spurs being this huge club, and instead packed them in where they truly belong besides the likes of us, Everton and Newcastle.

We have underachieved trophy-wise over the last couple of decades.

Can Unai be the man to buck the ‘trend’? I really hope so, but I don’t think it’s fair for us to expect it if history is telling us anything.

• Like 1

First of all… we have to do it… we have to achieve it and it’s not a foregone conclusion that we will…

But again, IF we do… why should it be seen as a “one off” or the peak of Unai’s time here? I would suggest that we will keep pushing… maybe he’s being underestimated…

The last few pages is why I avoided the site straight after the defeat. A few defeats and fans go nuts. 

Having said that I am worried that some of the players look knackered and really off it. Also if it’s the same defence they could get torn apart by United. 

Could be brutal on this site come Sunday night. 

It’s a tricky time with injuries, fatigue and confidence dropping at home. Some how need to get through this. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Isn’t Carragher just saying FFP screws us and stops us becoming a member of the big six? i.e. the same thing we are complaining about in the FFP thread?

Probably. Fans are precious. I still wouldn’t listen to him though.  

48 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

If anything, I’m just amused by it… may indicate that we are perceived as a threat of sorts… which is pleasing…

With Klopp leaving… Liverpool have to get their next appointment right or risk falling behind and losing out to teams around them… key players may leave also…

We genuinely have one of the very best managers around and in this league… why can’t we aim high?

Definitely has the ‘mind games’ feel about it.

Â