Unai Emery

PeterSw

Probably the mistake was to play Konsa here there and everywhere in games and the lad was bound to pick up an injury. To much football for one player to cope with and constant risk to that player but we are here now and the bare bones of a squad to deal with. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

And let me be clear, it has taken some adjustment to understand why Villa play differently than other teams, as you have said, that beat us with the press.

But also, Chelsea and Newcastle are far below us in terms of the table.

So while you can eye test these 'working hard' intangibles - if it were all about working hard, Luton would be top of the league. So would the Leeds of yesteryears that by far had the most distance covered on the pitch. Newcastle's whole identity is working hard and they're 13 points below us in the current table and also far below us since Unai has joined.

Yes - effort is always good. But control, structure, systems of play - is what keeps your game on for 38 matches. And that's something I think most Villa fans have trouble grappling even this far along into Unai's tenure.

I think as we've discussed before, you're never going to like Unai all that much if you want this high press, force ourselves on the opponent style. It is not Unai's style, never has been, and never will be.

And whether or not that Unai will lead us to sustained success is also largely determinent on the quality in our squad. Swap Pep and Arteta into Villa's team, are they going to achieve any more than Unai with the squad at his disposal?

That we are 4th with the squad we have is not an underdog story - it is Unai extracting maximum value of the entire squad he has - and that value is considerably lower with Lenglet and Diego as our main CB pairing.

Excellent post. I never looked at it this way and you could well have a point. It’s a marathon not a sprint springs to mind. Let’s hope this pans out over the whole season.

Quite telling that UE specifically mentioned Casemiro twice in his press conference as a very important player.

I have a feeling he may bring Ramsey back on the left and push McGinn up off Watkins instead of Youri. McGinn’s energy and fight in midfield would very much be needed in there, up against Casemiro

• Like 3

2 hours ago, onmeedson said:

Probably the mistake was to play Konsa here there and everywhere in games and the lad was bound to pick up an injury. To much football for one player to cope with and constant risk to that player but we are here now and the bare bones of a squad to deal with. 

Didn’t he collide with a post from a set piece? What does CB vs RB have to do with that?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eholm said:

Quite telling that UE specifically mentioned Casemiro twice in his press conference as a very important player.

I have a feeling he may bring Ramsey back on the left and push McGinn up off Watkins instead of Youri. McGinn’s energy and fight in midfield would very much be needed in there, up against Casemiro

True - and for me - Youri is great on song - but McGinn up top with Watkins gives us two aiming points when United press us.

If everyone is available and we're fit, Youri's probably in our best team. But when we've got injuries and playing a makeshift line - I hope Unai switches out some finesse for a dogfight on our hands.

Youri misses out on United for me and gets back in when we have to break down a Forest or a Luton (though Luton are no jokes).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Didn’t he collide with a post from a set piece? What does CB vs RB have to do with that?

The point was more to do with how many more minutes konsa played than most other players who were being subbed with 15 minutes to go and rested but konsa was just moved to another position on the park and therefore his chance of injury was made the more probable to occur. The more minutes you play the more chance you have of colliding with that post or simular.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, onmeedson said:

He’s played 2 positions ! This is satire. 

I think why Emery will be able succeed more here than at PSG and Arsenal is because he has the triangle of power. He has Vidagani and Monchi with him. So player management can call more on those freeing Emery up to be a head coach. While Monchi will find the player profiles he needs and deal with the opposing clubs in negotiations etc..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Carragher is a fool.

There is no ceiling under Emery if he continues to get backed.

Its our ability to back him that is the concern given ffp or what the new version is. There is no doubting the man just the tools that he’s given.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eholm said:

I would like to see that. I think Mcginn will take Chelsea loss personally as captain more than others and be fired up

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I would like to see that. I think Mcginn will take Chelsea loss personally as captain more than others and be fired up

He usually runs rings round them too… or maybe that’s just at Stamford Bridge.

Since we have to play Cash at RB and he needs a hand, would probably be best to restore John to RM where he is better anyway…

I still think, as demonstrated last season, when everyone is fit, available and in form… that Unai’s favoured midfield lineup is Ramsey on the left (going to help hugely when he’s fully recovered and sharp), Luiz and Kamara in the centre and McGinn on the right…

Bailey up with Ollie…

But at least we have options in terms of forwards/wingers now… I’d like us to add some central midfield quality/depth in the summer to freshen up things and add competition… I think it would benefit Bouba (particularly) and Luiz to be kept on their toes or at least get rested/rotated occasionally… we need them to be determined, focussed and even aggressive in important games… they can be a bit lax or quiet occasionally…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’d like us to add some central midfield quality/depth in the summer to freshen up things and add competition… I think it would benefit Bouba (particularly) and Luiz to be kept on their toes or at least get rested/rotated occasionally… we need them to be determined, focussed and even aggressive in important games… they can be a bit lax or quiet occasionally…

That's a fan wish post that doesn't track with reality. Most top teams play their CM pairing week in week out. City play Rodri every game available. Rice at Arsenal and before at West Ham. McAllister at Pool and so on and so on. How do you attract player that's decent come to club and play the odd game because player X might have an off game and the manager is supposed to know this before the fact. Managers like to play their best XI as much as possible

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's a fan wish post that doesn't track with reality. Most top teams play their CM pairing week in week out. City play Rodri every game available. Rice at Arsenal and before at West Ham. McAllister at Pool and so on and so on. How do you attract player that's decent come to club and play the odd game because player X might have an off game and the manager is supposed to know this before the fact. Managers like to play their best XI as much as possible

Ok dude calm down 😆 Change the record!

I think you’re overreacting… I’m not saying get someone to displace them but another option. I’m not sure on Tim and we’ve sent Dendoncker on his way (hopefully permanently), Tielemans is not playing CM and hasn’t played well for us there yet… he’s more of a forward/attacker now…

A good squad makes us stronger and more capable… but we don’t have to go crazy or spend big either…

Anyway, this is the Unai thread… but more good options will make his job easier.

Edited by Jas10

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Ok dude calm down 😆 Change the record!

I was editing my post at the end but you'd replied so add here Emery looking at Iroegbunam as cover and if not good enough will probably get some obscure youth player like the January transfers we've made. People complain we don't use our youth players then want to sign quality depth to play odd game if player X has a dip. Makes no sense in reality of running a club under FFP constraints

Edited by Kiwivillan

17 hours ago, DJBOB said:

And let me be clear, it has taken some adjustment even for me to understand why Villa play differently than other teams, as you have said, that beat us with the press.

But also, Chelsea and Newcastle are far below us in terms of the table.

So while you can eye test these 'working hard' intangibles - if it were all about working hard, Luton would be top of the league. So would the Leeds of yesteryears that by far had the most distance covered on the pitch. Newcastle's whole identity is working hard and they're 13 points below us in the current table and also far below us since Unai has joined.

Yes - effort is always good. But control, structure, systems of play - is what keeps your game on for 38 matches. And that's something I think most Villa fans have trouble grappling even this far along into Unai's tenure.

I think as we've discussed before, you're never going to like Unai all that much if you want this high press, force ourselves on the opponent style. It is not Unai's style, never has been, and never will be.

And whether or not that Unai will lead us to sustained success is also largely determinent on the quality in our squad. Swap Pep and Arteta into Villa's team, are they going to achieve any more than Unai with the squad at his disposal?

That we are 4th with the squad we have is not an underdog story - it is Unai extracting maximum value of the entire squad he has - and that value is considerably lower with Lenglet and Diego as our main CB pairing.

I say, respectfully, that is a complete misinterpretation, of the points I have been making.....I have never suggested it to be so, I have merely cited it as an ingredient that is missing presently, that is not to suggest all the other important ingredients like talent, are missing too, albeit quality does get affected, when urgency and intensity is missing.

Effort is not just good, its crucial....but all the other things you mention are too, but effort has a knock on effect to so many things like control, etc

I have never, questioned the subject of quality or Talent, call it what you will, but without effort, workrate, etc it washes away like sand on a beach, thats not saying its more important, but as important.

The old saying "Working hard beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" that does have a significant overtone, which is more than valid.....you see it in clear evidence with the lower league teams in the cups.. banana skin games are also borne out of it...it all boils down to the same thing.

I don't think Villa fans have trouble grappling with it ( albeit that is quite a cross reference to mention all the views in the fanbase)...I think many of them know.....all the ones, I have spoken too are unanimous in their verdict, of the latest form.

In the long emboldened bit....I am genuinely, not sure what you are saying......If you are saying that Unai Emery has a style that pays no heed to stopping opponents from attacking us, I think you are wrong and he would not have had the success he has at various clubs, if he did.

The " Press" is a means to am end.....its is an action, during a game, that teams use, to stop, disrupt and turnover the ball, by ideally winning it back................Now if another solution can be sought, that delivers the same out come, fine........but if you are saying, no attention to stopping the opposition is needed, which is tantamount to saying we don't have to compete.....I think your theory is flawed.....and I do not think UE thinks like that at all.

His face the other night, illustrated, he did not think they were following his orders at all......Will he say that?, behind closed doors he will.

Â