Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I want to see someone dissect his tactical masterclass. I’m not smart enough to understand everything he did to nullify them: so many moving parts to that plan last night 

Ask Garth

• Haha 2

The great thing is we’ve now seen this Villa side win games in every possible way under Emery. Scrappy park the bus tactics, high line, concede possession, dominate possession, etc. It really feels like he can keep adapting through the season, which is why I think it will be sustainable.

And the individual coaching that is bringing the best out of players like McGinn and Bailey must be something special. Quite a few players we thought would be slowly mothballed and replaced have stepped up a level. The whole thing is just brilliant.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, allani said:

In the not too distant past I criticised Dean and SG (to different degrees!) because they didn't have a Plan B (or a Plan A in the latter's case) and so although we'd have some good performances / runs it always felt like there was a bad run around the corner.  In defending them both I said that several players weren't good enough and that we needed to replace a decent chunk of the side in order to address our fundamental issue of balance.  When Emery arrived I was sure that he would improve us but I couldn't see how he could turn us into a team pushing for Europe without bringing in several players.  What really amazed me about yesterday is that most of the players on the pitch weren't new signings made by Emery.  I am still staggered that a team that little over a year ago struggled to string 3 or 4 passes together and now pinging it around like the Harlem Globetrotters and out-passing a team like Man City.  Just incredible.  I don't quite know how he's got Digne, Konsa, McGinn, Luiz, Bailey and Watkins playing so well again.  And also how it feels like they all still have room to improve and develop even further.  I mean Ollie is a great example - I think he's one of 3 players in the top 5 leagues to have scored and assisted at least 6 goals this season.  But it doesn't feel like he's in an exceptional run of form and is playing at the top of his game.  It feels like he's still improving his vision for spotting other players in better positions, there are chances that he thinks he could / should have taken, etc.  That's not criticising him - far from it, it is just saying that it doesn't feel like his run is unsustainable or lucky.  It feels like there's the potential where he could have a mini run of 5, 6 or 7 matches where absolutely everything flies into the top corner or deflections go in, etc.  This run feels "normal".

How Emery and his coaching team have turned this side around is miraculous.  Last night was probably the best I have ever seen a Villa team play (been a fan since 1978) - not so much the scoreline, but if you look at every statistic we dominated Man City in every single respect.  It wasn't a lucky win where everything just bounced the right way.  We absolutely dominated them - the best team and the best manager in club football had no answer to us.  Incredible.

What is even better is that I am 98% certain that Emery and his guys have absolutely no interest in using us as a stepping stone to a "big" job.  The media / social media know-nothings may speculate all they like - but I don't see there being any risk that Man Utd, Liverpool or even Man City come calling and Emery ups and leaves.  For those clubs to come calling we will need to be consistently challenging at the top and if we are doing that then I genuinely believe that Emery wants to create a legacy somewhere.  He has the power and the freedom to do that here.  He might win less silverware but I think he's won enough that that isn't his primary focus.  Winning a trophy here will mean much more than winning a trophy at PSG, Man City, Liverpool, etc.  Winning trophies with us would be a legacy that would extend for decades.

None of the other big teams will give him the freedom and control that our owners have. Certainly not United or Liverpool. 

The way I am feeling right now is that Emery is going to become our Sir Alex equivalent.

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983
  • Like 2

Just as Emery sees games and how they will pan out before they have even been played i think he knows the sky is the limit here in Aston. I think he knows what is going to happen in the next few years  .

This is the start of what will be known in the history books as not the United dynasty but the  Unaited dynasty. 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, phily85 said:

Just read his post match Q&A on Birmingham mail he still brings up the Leicester and Arsenal 4-2 losses, think we could win the treble in 3 years time and straight after he would being those games up

The good thing about supporting a team managed by Emery is that you know that even the defeats have a certain value to them, as they're learning experiences.

• Like 2

Was just thinking. I wonder how long the tactics for the game last night had been planned for. 

How we had played to seemingly conserve energy in the previous 2 or 3 games.

This man is not a take a game at a time, no matter what he says in public.  That was planned for many weeks i reckon and then performed perfectly.

The most press resistant team on the planet got murdered by our press. Murdered. We stopped all of their passing channels and they had to result to smashing the ball out of their box at times, like we have had to since Pep came in.  We found a way to target their strength and turn it into a weakness.  You genius Unai. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Was just thinking. I wonder how long the tactics for the game last night had been planned for. 

This man is not a take a game at a time, no matter what he says in public.  That was planned for many weeks i reckon and then performed perfectly.

The most press resistant team on the planet got murdered by our press. Murdered. We stopped all of their passing channels and they had to result to smashing the ball out of their box at times, like we have had to since Pep came in.  We found a way to target their strength and turn it into a weakness.  You genius Unai. 

I kept saying after the Bournemouth, the choices and decisions he made - and also his general demeanor on the touch line and press conference - had the feeling of those cup games where, as much as he says otherwise, that the Bournemouth game wasn't the important one.

Unai, as brilliant as he is, is as human as the rest of us - and knows he's never won against Pep, I'm sure is aware of all good ebening memes, and all the criticism of his time at Arsenal. You still have fools on twitter saying can only manage a certain type of club.

So under the lights against City, he had a point to prove and I hope he's just getting started.

38 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Makes me wonder how he's planning to take on Arsenal. Players will be shattered after last night, but you'd also be reluctant to change that winning team!

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Fully agree on the multi-week game plan. Goto the Bournemouth recap thread and numerous posters were complaining about the early Konsa sub or just playing Diego at all.

It's standard practice in American Football that coaches keep parts of their playbook secret til the playoffs or big regular season games. Amazing to see a football coach apply the same type of tactic. Unai is truly one of a kind. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allani said:

When Emery arrived I was sure that he would improve us but I couldn't see how he could turn us into a team pushing for Europe without bringing in several players.  What really amazed me about yesterday is that most of the players on the pitch weren't new signings made by Emery.  I am still staggered that a team that little over a year ago struggled to string 3 or 4 passes together and now pinging it around like the Harlem Globetrotters and out-passing a team like Man City. 

Wasn't 10 of our starting 11 against Man City the same players that played under Dean Smith/Gerrard?  Only Tielemans signed since Emery arrived?

Â