Unai Emery

PeterSw

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I see where you are coming from and have considered this as well.

I think the major difference here, is that Emery is a proven, respected elite Manager who can command respect.

Not a Charlatan having a petty moan/dig.

I'm betting he's the type who is nice until you start taking the piss and he'll make no qualms about letting you know who is actually in charge.

If the players have anything about them, they should accept it the right way.

He's never been that pissed off/vocal and dissappointed, so i'm hoping the players will feel more guilty than anything else.

I think you are right, as it's less likely they will resent Emery. Pep had to dig his players out a few weeks ago about complacency and it hasn't affected them badly. 

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I see where you are coming from and have considered this as well.

I think the major difference here, is that Emery is a proven, respected elite Manager who can command respect.

Not a Charlatan having a petty moan/dig.

I'm betting he's the type who is nice until you start taking the piss and he'll make no qualms about letting you know who is actually in charge.

If the players have anything about them, they should accept it the right way.

He's never been that pissed off/vocal and dissappointed, so i'm hoping the players will feel more guilty than anything else.

That’s how I see it. Unai is elite. And commands respect and authority because he can and wants that understood. He's exactly what we need and generally speaking, there's a number of players who need a reality check. 

• Like 3

The fact that Emery is the owner(s) pick, not Purslow's is going to be very telling. Assuming the "build me a team that wins" quote is true, then Emery will get the time and money required to bin off some of these mentally weak and limited players and replace them with the opposite.

I dont see many of the current XI leaving as such but to use centre back as an example, players like Chambers will leave and be replaced with a centre back more suited than Konsa, who subsequently becomes the new Chambers.

McGinn, Konsa, Cash, Buendia, Bailey are all decent options for a club pushing at the top 6/7, but shouldn't be starting.

It's frustrating to be in the building phase yet again, and I don't think the club expected it either, but that's down to Gerrard being such a disaster. It's obviously what Emery has improved so far and where he still has work to do - patience for the summer rebuild is going to be the key (again...).

It isn't his fault Gerrard/Smith bought some of these players - he's done well with what he has. Moreno is an obvious improvement on Digne and Augustinsson, and Durán is an improvement on Ings in that he can run and knock defenders about. Given a transfer window or two, I think he'll get us there 

Edited by StewieGriffin

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

We don’t have a single player I’d keep over Unai

Unai over this team any day for me.

This might sound controversial Only ones i think are guranteed starters for me next season is

Martinez kamara and luiz

Everyone else for me hasn't done enough consistently to be automatic 1st choice. Mings and watkins are hit and cold but they would be next you would keep.

The likes of mcginn bailey coutinho digne cash buendia JJ have all had average to poor seasons in my eyes

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

It's not just our defence is sh*t, half of that XGA has come in the last three games. Before that our XGA per game was good on the whole, except in the game against Liverpool.

Whatever Emery has done in the last three games, he needs to change it pronto. 11 goals conceded in three games didn't even happen under Gerrard at any point and if it had there would have some people calling for his head. There's more patience with Emery because of the success he's had at other clubs but ultimately he should be judged on what he does here. 

The sooner we get to 40 points the better, just want the season to end now.

absolutely right.....He hasn't got the same players, for one thing and its a tougher league.

He needs a couple of productive windows to judge him properly.

• Like 2

Its worth noting that however pissed Emery seemed, he also said based on previous experiences he expected a reversion at some point to bad habits, and its a gradual process but we will get there.

Mings said in his guardian interview thats what they had been told as well - theres going to be bumps on the way.

When Emery first arrived he sat down with each player and went through in detail how they can improve. He puts in a crazy amount of analysis work and is active on the training pitch. 

If the players look at that and say they can't/won't match that committment, then they can go. If they are receptive, they will improve.

One of the few things Gerrard was right on was the high standards and work ethic needed to be successful in this league. His problem in rectifying this was that he was slating players for not performing and putting in a shift, then having Beale do all training sessions and meetings while he went off to do media or whatever.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

absolutely right.....He hasn't got the same players, for one thing and its a tougher league.

He needs a couple of productive windows to judge him properly.

Needs to be backed 100% this summer and then in subsequent summers, it's as simple as that. I just hope the end to the season isn't painful and we stay up comfortably. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, andym said:

Its worth noting that however pissed Emery seemed, he also said based on previous experiences he expected a reversion at some point to bad habits, and its a gradual process but we will get there.

Mings said in his guardian interview thats what they had been told as well - theres going to be bumps on the way.

When Emery first arrived he sat down with each player and went through in detail how they can improve. He puts in a crazy amount of analysis work and is active on the training pitch. 

If the players look at that and say they can't/won't match that committment, then they can go. If they are receptive, they will improve.

One of the few things Gerrard was right on was the high standards and work ethic needed to be successful in this league. His problem in rectifying this was that he was slating players for not performing and putting in a shift, then having Beale do all training sessions and meetings while he went off to do media or whatever.

I think Roy Keane had issues with that too, but Gabby won that battle and managed to sit on his 3 goals in 3 seasons package......maybe some things said by these guys are right, in amongst the weeds.

Unai should know this is not a 5 minute fix....some of our issues, have been floating around for yonks.

He clearly didn't look happy, yesterday, despite some fans sugar coating......I am with him.

48 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I wish we hadn’t wasted a year on Gerrard, plus all of his transfer stuff… what a waste of time when we now have a world class manager, wish we’d just got him a year before. 

If we didnt we wouldnt have emery so it is what it is

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

The 2nd goal yesterday came from playing out from the back and was one of the best team goals we scored at VP in a while

I thought it was interesting that Unai pointed out in one of the interviews that it was a transition goal and we need more than that. We may have built from the back on that one, but it was still a counterattack. That's not going to help us break down packed defences, which has been our ongoing problem, and Unai knows it.

Lovely goal though.

5 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Whatever Emery has done in the last three games, he needs to change it pronto. 11 goals conceded in three games didn't even happen under Gerrard at any point and if it had there would have some people calling for his head.

What's he supposed to change, refuse to play Leicester when in form, Man City, and Arsenal?

Seriously, he knows that we still have problems. As I've said before, the big question under Deano and SG was, was the problem the manager or the players? We now know it was both. He's getting more out of these players than the last two regimes. We're still several players away from competing for Europe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I wish we hadn’t wasted a year on Gerrard, plus all of his transfer stuff… what a waste of time when we now have a world class manager, wish we’d just got him a year before. 

I think it is all about timing, like many things in life.

And the planets aligning, of course.

Â