Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its too soon to judge anything yet. He clearly wasn't happy, without throwing them under the bus.

If we are to believe Tyrone Mings, some of the players are having difficulty taking in all the info, to adhere to the gameplans.....and the game plan was abandoned, to some degree, as I understand.

These things take time....they always do.

but I will reserve judgment this time around. I accept the smart money is on, Unai getting us to win games, but without new players, I am unsure.

However, when I stop seeing some of this poor defending, I will be more convinced.

dpnt they want to play for emery now excuses

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

People saying that we got lucky playing the high line because Nunez is crap. 

Do we not think that we persisted with such a high line because Nunez is crap?

End of the day, playing like that we created enough to win, and Liverpool scored 2 from set pieces.

I think because play is allowed to run even for obvious off-sides, and thus the striker goes on to have a shot, it makes it look like we are exploited more than we actually are. Generally from open play, we held a good line and caught Liverpool offsides loads.

Nunez' best two chances came from counter attacks, and even then they were preventable chances; the first came from when Konsa did that huge miskick towards his own goal, and the second when Konsa got in all sorts of trouble trying to sort his feet out giving Nunez loads of room to run into.

The key issue for me is that we are not switched on enough in either box at the key moments. 

McGinn ball watching and gets too easily beat by Robertson for the first goal.

Second goal Buendia is not 'marking' Van Djik; he's there to disrupt his run long enough so our dominant players (Mings, Konsa, Kamara, Watkins) can get to the ball first. Most teams run a similar hybrid zonal system like that. However, it doesn't work if all your players stand still and don't bother to react to where the ball goes - look how many players we had around our 6 yard box; yet Salah is first to the initial loose ball and then all ours stand by while Van Djik takes the shot.

3rd goal even though we turned the ball over, we still held the numerical advantage and good positions; however, again bad decision making (both Digne and Mings follow Salah, none of our midfield gets back following the goal scorer) cost us. There were several other moments from set pieces where we were not sharp (a couple of times Digne just let a ball in go right past him instead of blocking and clearing).

And speaking of Liverpool's 3rd goal, look at the composure of the scorer - taking the touch around Olsen, then the calm finish.

Compare that to Bailey slashing at the ball and completely miskicking twice from 10 yards out, McGinn again trying to head a ball at knee height when unmarked at the back post etc You can't afford to miss good chances against any team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Maybe thats down to Eddie Howe. Hes getting the best out of an ok crop of players. Given time Emery can do the same. 

He’s certainly gotten the best out of Joelinton and Almiron and spent spent heavily on more quality in certain positions. Emery will know what we need to move forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

It’s ridiculous how much this gets overlooked. They spent over £40m on Bruno and £65m on Isak. We will be spending for sure. But Newcastle aren’t where they are by simply getting the best out of what they have. 

But that's a big part of it.

Their pre Howe players are overperforming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, av1 said:

100%. There was a lot to like about yesterday’s performance, which was on the back of our first win against UTD in 27yrs and a really good performance away at the in form Brighton. 

What I liked most about yesterday was I could see a plan, a way of playing. I’m not going to use this thread to criticise others managers but it’s been a very long time since I could explain “our identity” yesterday it was clear. 

Emery is right to stick with that even if we currently have 1/2/3 players that don’t suit it because it needs to be embedded in the mindset. I just hope fans can see the long term, I’ve saw some criticism of the high line yesterday, ok maybe it was dangerous with the players we have, but he’s working to something. Liverpool maintain a style of play that got them spanked 7-2 at VP a few years ago. 

I’ve said before and I’ll say again, I think this is the most significant signing with have made in decades, he’s going to transform us. 

Agree with most of this. However to play with a high line we need a sweeper keeper. Not even Emi1 is a sweeper keeper type.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

dpnt they want to play for emery now excuses

I think he was trying to say, the instructions are complicated and the learning slow and patchy....

I don't think there is any suggestion, they don't want to play for him, that would be bizarre, so soon in to his tenure.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

But that's a big part of it.

Their pre Howe players are overperforming.

Over performing makes it sound like they can't maintain this performance level.  It's just as likely Bruce was holding them back. Obviously Almiron goal output will regress, no one can keep up that level of output but I think the quality of Newcastle's performance is very repeatable. Just shows how bad we screwed up appointing Steven. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Farlz said:

good resume.....and a stark reminder of what we need.

composure plays a huge part.

I will be hugely disappointed, If UE doesn't take all this on board.

Edited by TRO

48 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s ridiculous how much this gets overlooked. They spent over £40m on Bruno and £65m on Isak. We will be spending for sure. But Newcastle aren’t where they are by simply getting the best out of what they have. 

The renaissance started for them In Jan 2022....when they brought in Trippier, Burn and Guimares, and  transformed Joelinton in to midfield, who started showing form......They then added Sven Botman in the summer....and with Calum Wilson, coming back to fitness, and Almiron showing form, it stated coming together.

All of them are robust, resillient players, who have redeeming features of play.

Eddie Howe, never won a league game in 2021.....their climb back started in Jan 2022, and a consistent haul of points have followed and their confidence has grown accordingly.

I will be surprised if the bubble bursts, because they have built on concrete, not Sand.

I am hoping Unai does a similar thing with us......so I half expect some unspectacular additions, along the way.

Sure they have spent money, but so have we.....but its all about spending wisely and blending prudently and creating a team, not necessarily an assembly of good individual players, who don't compliment each other.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vreitti said:

People on here would roll on the floor laughing if we was even being linked to dogshit like Botman, Burn or Wood. Most of us probably also thought Trippier's BBD was way past it. 

Fact is Newcastle are playing really good football with some very average players. 

You conveniently missed out Bruno. Botman and Burn are legitimately very good players. As is Trippier—he's twice as good as any of our fullbacks. Wood isn't an important player for them any more. They're not doing well by accident. They had some underperforming players (under Bruce no less) and some injuries, and they bought well and wisely. They spent a lot of money. I watch Newcastle more than I should as I have some Toon friends and the Toon friends aren't surprised. 

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

You conveniently missed out Bruno. Botman and Burn are legitimately very good players. As is Trippier—he's twice as good as any of our fullbacks. Wood isn't an important player for them any more. They're not doing well by accident. They had some underperforming players (under Bruce no less) and some injuries, and they bought well and wisely. They spent a lot of money. I watch Newcastle more than I should as I have some Toon friends and the Toon friends aren't surprised. 

My brother is a loony Toon bastard! Walking around with his chest puffed out doing the old money money money signs and gesticulations. rocket polisher

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

They have spent about 200 million chap??

And they are second.

They've spent outrageously well.

We've wasted hundreds of millions right up to this summer when we bought Coutinho.

Spend well, and success will follow. There is no stopping Newcastle.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

And they are second.

They've spent outrageously well.

We've wasted hundreds of millions right up to this summer when we bought Coutinho.

Spend well, and success will follow. There is no stopping Newcastle.

And Coutinho cost around £2m more than Targett did for Newcastle. The context of Newcastle spending over £200m is over two transfer windows, we had to an entire squad rebuild coming up. The two are not comparable at all. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

And Coutinho cost around £2m more than Targett did for Newcastle. The context of Newcastle spending over £200m is over two transfer windows, we had to an entire squad rebuild coming up. 

Of course they are comparable.

I know you get upset about Newcastle being better than us, and spending better than us. So do I.

No need to bury your head and pretend they haven't though. It's reality.

Edited by Tomaszk

Whoever we sign, we need to start ensuring we bring in physically strong and quick players. We have too many that consistently come out of challenges second best or those that just can't keep up with opponents. This needs addressing imo which is why a Felix signing would be against what I think we really need.

• Like 1

Â