Unai Emery

PeterSw

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

my only worry with Emery trying to instil "tactics" in to our squad, is whenever you saw them try to apply the so called "Gerrard Ball" the players looked like 12 year olds playing join the dots, no fluidity or intelligence in what they were doing.

Hopefully it was a tactic issue and not a players issue, but i do wonder if some of our players arent the sharpest football brains in the toolbox.

See I would have worried about this, but the fact that in 3 days after Gerrard left we altered our style completely for Brentford puts some of those fears to bed. Granted those tactics did not work against Newcastle, but it says to me that our players CAN take instruction, they just need the right ones. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Do you concede goals?

Do we concede goals? Yeah.

How many times a week?

Like um... three, three or four times maybe.

All right, pump those numbers down, those are rookie numbers in this racket.

As long as he doesn't have them all flogging the log in the showers at Bodymoor all day, we should be OK. 

• Haha 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

See I would have worried about this, but the fact that in 3 days after Gerrard left we altered our style completely for Brentford puts some of those fears to bed. Granted those tactics did not work against Newcastle, but it says to me that our players CAN take instruction, they just need the right ones. 

I know we say this every year but I think the players conditioning needs questioning. Why were the same Newcastle players that were in a relegation scrap early last season quicker and stronger than all our players ?

Maybe it’s not just the manager and coach’s that have been the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Makes me wonder if Nas is sick of the underachievement considering the amount of money NSWE have put into the club and is now being more hands on with the day to day.

He was more pissed off they sold Trez. Emery first job is to persuade him to return

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

my only worry with Emery trying to instil "tactics" in to our squad, is whenever you saw them try to apply the so called "Gerrard Ball" the players looked like 12 year olds playing join the dots, no fluidity or intelligence in what they were doing.

Hopefully it was a tactic issue and not a players issue, but i do wonder if some of our players arent the sharpest football brains in the toolbox.

I’m not so sure tbh. Watch some of our highlights early on Gerrards appointment last season. We were playing some great football. The players are capable of much better imo.  

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know we say this every year but I think the players conditioning needs questioning. Why were the same Newcastle players that were in a relegation scrap early last season quicker and stronger than all our players ?

Tbf it is their job to make sure the players are in top shape. Always feels like Villa is a too comfortable place for players.

Conte and his coaches had their players working so hard they threw up during pre-season. Ours went to the zoo. Obviously ours worked out too but I refuse to believe our coaches were as demanding as the ones at the top clubs.

Players need to be held accountable and have strict goals and rules, sure they have those already but I imagine things will change for the better under Emery. Anyone not up for it should be fined and then shipped out if they can't get with the program.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Tbf it is their job to make sure the players are in top shape. Always feels like Villa is a too comfortable place for players.

Conte and his coaches had their players working so hard they threw up during pre-season. Ours went to the zoo. Obviously ours worked out too but I refuse to believe our coaches were as demanding as the ones at the top clubs.

Players need to be held accountable and have strict goals and rules, sure they have those already but I imagine things will change for the better under Emery. Anyone not up for it should be fined and then shipped out if they can't get with the program.

I doubt any PL team has fitness issues. This is usually a symptom of players thinking too much, and not just acting. It becomes hesitant, stuttering and devoid of urgency. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

First half was pretty even. The drop off second half and noticable difference in energy felt to me more a motivation issue. It was a Newcastle side in a good position, having gone ahead at a good time with some luck, up for the game, 2/3/4-0 up vs. a side in the opposite situation being repeatedly exposed due to tactical errors (as Danks himself in the post-match seemed to suggest he made).

I think the Brentford game, when we were on the other side of this and still looking fired up and running plenty late on in the game suggests conditioning might be less an issue than where the players' heads are at in the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sne said:

There's a clear balance required here though. You get managers like Bielsa that expect crazy levels from players that seem to work in the short term early season, but then experience big drop offs because the players just burn out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daft said:

I doubt any PL team has fitness issues. This is usually a symptom of players thinking too much, and not just acting. It becomes hesitant, stuttering and devoid of urgency. 

I'm sure they do, not compared to regular people of course. But they are playing against elite athletes who are in top shape. Not all players or teams are equal. Ours quite often cover less ground than our opponents despite having less of the ball. While this is not solely down to fitness I'm sure it's part of it.

It's a %-game and I don't feel we've been doing everything we could to be "the best we can". The likes of Barca, Juve, Liverpool, City and maybe Leeds I would not be surprised if they even went the extra mile with some special cocktails to be able to play they way they have. Not suggesting that we should of course.

3 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

There's a clear balance required here though. You get managers like Bielsa that expect crazy levels from players that seem to work in the short term early season, but then experience big drop offs because the players just burn out.

Obviously, that's why we have nutritionists, analytics, and medical personnel to go with the coaches.

23 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm sure they do, not compared to regular people of course. But they are playing against elite athletes who are in top shape. Not all players or teams are equal. Ours quite often cover less ground than our opponents despite having less of the ball. While this is not solely down to fitness I'm sure it's part of it.

It's a %-game and I don't feel we've been doing everything we could to be "the best we can". The likes of Barca, Juve, Liverpool, City and maybe Leeds I would not be surprised if they even went the extra mile with some special cocktails to be able to play they way they have. Not suggesting that we should of course.

City, Barca, Bayern. What do they have in common?

Plus, incredible how many Liverpool players have asthma.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Honestly doubt the gap is that big. Not enough to be the main issue we had. I imagine lower running stats (assuming you've seen these? I haven't myself) could well be down to the style implemented: higher possession, dropping to back into defensive shape rather than high pressing.

Edited by tomsky_11

Â