Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

His biggest task is to get this weak mentality some of our players have sorted. 

Too often with this group we've seen stupid capitulations. Wolves at Home, Man City Away, Newcastle just gone, to name a few over the last couple of seasons. 

Get that reigned in and that is easily an extra 8-10 points per season. 

100% spot on. Strong characters/leaders/winners - call them what you want. We need an infusion of strong minded players - this on top of the obvious mix of skill, pace and strength.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure if it's necessarily the players. 2 seasons ago with largely the same squad, we dropped the second least most points (5) from winning positions in the whole league. That season, if we got the lead, we generally kept it, only dropping points twice (1 loss, 1 draw) in those games. Occam's razor tells me there's something else at play here. My guess would be an extremely vulnerable system that leaves us open to sucker punches.

math-lady (1).gif

• Haha 2

Emery won't have a lack of job offers if he is sacked for non footballing reasons.

Great thing imo. It means he won't be a yes man like Smith and Gerrard.

If Purslow and Lange interfers with his footballing decisions he will challenge them and call them out. We know Purslow doesn't like to be challenged hence he fell out and got rid of Benitez and Pitarch.

But we need to back Emery over anyone. Need to allow him to rip everything up if necessary.

I'm ready for the Unai revolution and prepared to go along with anything he says.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure if it's necessarily the players. 2 seasons ago with largely the same squad, we dropped the second least most points (5) from winning positions in the whole league. That season, if we got the lead, we generally kept it, only dropping points twice (1 loss, 1 draw) in those games. Occam's razor tells me there's something else at play here. My guess would be an extremely vulnerable system that leaves us open to sucker punches.

My Mrs told me I'm the second least most person she's slept with. I'm on top of the world.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Emery won't have a lack of job offers if he is sacked for non footballing reasons.

If Purslow and Lange interfers with his footballing decisions he will challenge them and call them out. We know Purslow doesn't like to be challenged hence he fell out and got rid of Benitez and Pitarch.

But we need to back Emery over anyone. Need to allow him to rip everything up if necessary.

I'm ready for the Unai revolution and prepared to go along with anything he says.

The hope for me is thay emery has a career of working with a sporting director he knows how this works and how to be successful under one, he shouldn't have a willy waving attitude to lange like Gerrard did, if emery can't work with him I'm not sure anyone will

• Like 1

I am really looking forward to seeing if/how he can re-float the great ship AVFC. It is a bit like we were slowly cruising back to where we were hoping to end up but then we hit a huge sand bank and the ship went aground under Dean Smith. Try as he might Stevie Gerrard, as good an ex Pro as he was, had not gotten the skills to refloat us. He tried and got slight movement here & there but pushing the engines to full power was simply burning them out and resulted in setting them on fire with no actual hope of getting us off that huge sandbank.  Danks managed to briefly put the fire out much to our relief but the ship is still firmly stuck.

Incomes Emery, I am hoping he has the knowledge to do the required dredging right the way around & under this great vessel. If he does we can start the journey once more towards our destination. There is a word of warning however, there is a hurricane called "relegation" on the horizon which could destroy the ship if he cannot free us in time. 

Thankfully the rescue mission is about to start in earnest with a man who knows how to captain ships just like ours.

Over to you Unai!

23 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Christ on a bike, nearly 100 pages and he hasn't even started yet.

Actually he has, depending on where you live of course. 

Anyways, exciting times are upon us.

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't see how the mental strength or lack of with these players is even up for debate. All the data and stats can maybe give people pause, but I'll take what I've seen with my own eyes. When this team face adversity they crumble, fact!

It will be Emerys biggest challenge. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I am really looking forward to seeing if/how he can re-float the great ship AVFC. It is a bit like we were slowly cruising back to where we were hoping to end up but then we hit a huge sand bank and the ship went aground under Dean Smith. Try as he might Stevie Gerrard, as good an ex Pro as he was, had not gotten the skills to refloat us. He tried and got slight movement here & there but pushing the engines to full power was simply burning them out and resulted in setting them on fire with no actual hope of getting us off that huge sandbank.  Danks managed to briefly put the fire out much to our relief but the ship is still firmly stuck.

Incomes Emery, I am hoping he has the knowledge to do the required dredging right the way around & under this great vessel. If he does we can start the journey once more towards our destination. There is a word of warning however, there is a hurricane called "relegation" on the horizon which could destroy the ship if he cannot free us in time. 

Thankfully the rescue mission is about to start in earnest with a man who knows how to captain ships just like ours.

Over to you Unai!

Let me guess, have you watched Pirates of the Caribbean recently?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Completely agree

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't see how the mental strength or lack of with these players is even up for debate. All the data and stats can maybe give people pause, but I'll take what I've seen with my own eyes. When this team face adversity they crumble, fact!

Isn't it the manager's job to build up the mental fortitude of his players? The previous manager only seemed to put them under the cosh mentally with his weird decisions.

• Like 2

Â