Unai Emery

PeterSw

16 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

True but I'm talking about style of play and results quickly followed after that one month.

Which proves a top manager can change things very fast.

Howes done a great job at Newcastle but they had been in the premier league for sometime, we haven't . 

Howe and Emery are completely different category of managers, Emery has success marked with Trophies , Howe has a promotion and has taken Newcastle from a relegation battle into the top half and is top 3 in October. He's won nothing, just like Newcastle.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

Howes done a great job at Newcastle but they had been in the premier league for sometime, we haven't . 

Howe and Emery are completely different category of managers, Emery has success marked with Trophies , Howe has a promotion and has taken Newcastle from a relegation battle into the top half and is top 3 in October. He's won nothing, just like Newcastle.

Emery should do better than Howe then?

1 hour ago, Django_Zooms said:

The World Cup period offers a unique &  excellent opportunity for Unai to drum in his methodology. How many of our players will be at the tournament? Just Martinez, Digne & Cash? Unlikely to be selected: Mings, Watkins, Buendia, Coutinho, Luiz...

Do the others have to stay and train the whole time or is any of it a holiday period like in normal World  cups?

41 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Howe fixed Newcastle in a month.'I think we should expect something similar.

That's what top managers can do.

What Howe has done is an anomaly.

To declare fixing a club in a month " Is what top Managers do " is such a broad statement and assumption it's unreal.

There are way too many factors which go into something like this to make such a declaration.

So if Emery takes 3 or 4 months to " fix us " will it then mean Eddie Howe is a better Manager than Emery?

Also, Eddie Howe never actually " fixed " Newcastle in a month, yeah they might have gotten slightly better, but they actually really started taking off after spending the most money of any club in the world during January.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Emery should do better than Howe then?

He's already streets ahead of him and Howe will never get close to what he's achieved.

The question of villa doing better than Newcastle is a different one altogether, Newcastle have infinite amounts of money so the chances are they will sooner or later do well

Whether they can get the players/ top managers to go to the arse end of nowhere is the weakness. The airport and transport links are dreadful. 

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What Howe has done is an anomaly.

To declare fixing a club in a month " Is what top Managers do " is such a broad statement and assumption it's unreal.

There are way too many factors which go into something like this to make such a declaration.

So if Emery takes 3 or 4 months to " fix us " will it then mean Eddie Howe is a better Manager than Emery?

Also, Eddie Howe never actually " fixed " Newcastle in a month, yeah they might have gotten slightly better, but they actually really started taking off after spending the most money of any club in the world during January.

We have also spent loads of money ultimately not getting anywhere.

And as well what isn't spoken about enough is how he has improved their pre existing players. Something I expect Emery to do as well.

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

This is the type of expectation I fear that our fan base has. 

It's the owners and Purslow who sets the expectation.

If they had said we are a mid table club my expectations would change.

But they have openly said top half and Europe is the target so that is the standard I will hold them to.

Newcastle's form since Howe? was appointed, 68 points from 40 games, has been so ridiculous that even they themselves won't live up to it for long, their team isn't good enough. What they've done is a complete anomaly and I don't think even the money the've spent explains it because if you look at their signings they don't look that impressive, I think a big part of what's happened with them is pure momentum.

10 hours ago, Pinebro said:

By failure I mean I don't think anything is gonna change.

We'll hover around mid table at best.

Would love to share you guys optimism but I just have a bad feeling.

I have zero faith in the board and I don't see them having a plan.

I think they had a plan until Gerrard arrived, and they tore up the plan to suit him. The board is fine, we are fine, a mistake was made and now has been rectified.

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Newcastle's form since Howe? was appointed, 68 points from 40 games, has been so ridiculous that even they themselves won't live up to it for long, their team isn't good enough. What they've done is a complete anomaly and I don't think even the money the've spent explains it because if you look at their signings they don't look that impressive, I think a big part of what's happened with them is pure momentum.

Think they might be running on a Leicester PL winning type feel good factor and momentum as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Howe fixed Newcastle in a month.'I think we should expect something similar.

That's what top managers can do.

exactly….

he’s got, what three maybe four games??

if he’s not turned it round in that time….…sack him 🤣

sorry but this is just laughable and such an immature post….

Cheque please…..

Edited by imavillan

It’ll be so interesting to see how this pans out. 

For once, I feel as though we as fans don’t have the excuse that the problem is the manager and not the players. 

If Emery can’t make it work then we probably have to admit we’ve pissed a load of money up the wall and our squad is average at best. 

Blaming a manager is usually football fans’ denial that their team isn’t as good as they think or want it to be. It actually feels nice and refreshing that we absolutely shouldn’t have that excuse any more. Players like Buendia/Bailey and others who divide the fan base are going to either sink or swim and there will be nowhere for them to hide. 

We’re going to find out a lot about our club and the players over the next 12-18 months.
Bring it on. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

exactly….

he’s got, what three maybe four games??

if he’s not turned it round in that time….…sack him 🤣

sorry but this is just laughable and such an immature post….

You are misunderstanding my post.

I'm not necessarily talking about results but style of play.

I think the idea of a manager needing a couple of years to get his ideas across is total non sense. 

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’ll be so interesting to see how this pans out. 

For once, I feel as though we as fans don’t have the excuse that the problem is the manager and not the players. 

If Emery can’t make it work then we probably have to admit we’ve pissed a load of money up the wall and our squad is average at best. 

Blaming a manager is usually football fans’ denial that their team isn’t as good as they think or want it to be. It actually feels nice and refreshing that we absolutely shouldn’t have that excuse any more. Players like Buendia/Bailey and others who divide the fan base are going to either sink or swim and there will be nowhere for them to hide. 

We’re going to find out a lot about our club and the players over the next 12-18 months.
Bring it on. 

Yep, I don’t think we could attract a higher calibre of manager right now. Failure from here would suggest the players aren’t as good as we first thought. I suspect they are not as good as we think, but time will tell.

If that is the case you would need to look at Purslow and Lange who are responsible for bringing in the majority of these players.

• Like 1

Â