Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it I called it about 6 months ago, this is my number one choice. 

Tactician and actually he wasn't shit at Arsenal, they just didn't like his Turkishness

Will be fun having a foreign coach and who knows what style and potential signings are to come.

It was the most exciting of times 

Edit: I now know he's Basque Spanish

Edited by Villarcana

I've been following Villa since Big Ron days and Emery is probably the most elite manager we've signed. Houllier was on a career down slope, MON was really just a guy who had Scottish League success and a few solid years at Leicester. Emery is already very accomplished and he's still fairly young.

Huge signing!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Villarcana said:

I love it I called it about 6 months ago, this is my number one choice. 

Tactician and actually he wasn't shit at Arsenal, they just didn't like his Turkishness

Will be fun having a foreign coach and who knows what style and potential signings are to come.

It was the most exciting of times 

He's Basque Spanish

Although tbf when I first heard his name being bandied around many years ago I always assumed he was Turkish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

He did beat us in one of his last games for Arsenal though, the infamous 3-2 where we were 2-1 up against 10 men with 10 minutes to go.

Ah yes OK, then the repeat fixture at VP was near the end of the season wasn't it.

Just now, Tom13 said:

Ah yes OK, then the repeat fixture at VP was near the end of the season wasn't it.

Yep. We had a bit of a hoodoo over Arteta and beat his Arsenal side three times on the bounce during Covid.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Give him time.

The good thing is I think he’ll get time. The optimism isn’t delusional… people aren’t expecting Europe this season. But a decent run of results, some more of what we saw versus Brentford, will go a long way to making people enjoy being Villa fans again.

• Like 3

Poch was my unrealistic dream appointment, but **** me this isn't too far off. I think we might actually beat some top 6 teams again. We haven't done so since we beat United at OT over a year ago. Guess who are Unai's first opponents? ;) 

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Apparently the joke started due to poor performances. So it wasn't started as such. 

2nd there are idiots who don't understand jokes and take it seriously. And when they take it seriously they escalate. Why do you think all the YouTubers and streamers who used to make racist jokes have stopped. Because a bunch of people who were too thick to get the joke used it as inspiration to attack minority groups.

There is no room for any form of racism joking or otherwise online. In person sure you can make a joke but online you don't know who your audience is and they might take it the wrong way and then go out and hurt people because they've been inspired by racist comments like these. 

How do you know that is not also a risk with in-person comments?

29 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Get out of here with your ridiculous logical, rationalised and positive conclusions. Clearly not a real Villan.

Well, I just saw we are actually 15th so maybe I outed myself as a Bournemouth fan!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

I bet he is delighted to finally have a chance at a club which has won a champions league. Enjoy your time here Emery, hopefully you are planning for the long term. 

Could he get us our next one…..? 👀 

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I know we were sinking under Gerrard, but the media disrespect that we could only aspire towards Beale or Dyche is laughable.

Had me fooled, tbh. But I'm thick about football. 

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This feels like a solid, sensible, quietly impressive appointment. My lack of interest and knowledge of football outside of England is informing (or not informing) that feeling. The excitement elsewhere makes for promising reading. 

Really love this take on it all. Very persuasive. 

36 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I love our owners. 

Now that's something you don't read very often. It's what I imagine a very spoilt English Setter would say.

30 minutes ago, AJ said:

Very happy about this.

This might upset some, but I rate him higher than Pep.

Oh, please go ahead and rate away and upset everyone. It's lovely. 

21 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The good thing is I think he’ll get time. The optimism isn’t delusional… people aren’t expecting Europe this season. But a decent run of results, some more of what we saw versus Brentford, will go a long way to making people enjoy being Villa fans again.

Considering finally how patient (almost to a fault) Villa fans were with Gerrard, we owe him that. 

• Thanks 1

On paper this is a much much better appointment than I was expecting, so very well done to all who negotiated it. A proper coach who does actual coaching and has a long track record of improving middling players is a good stab at what we need right now. 

• Like 3

Â