Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Machine translation of the most relevant parts (the first part discusses how he wants the Real Madrid job and never gets it):

I don't know the paper's reputation, and it's hard to parse the words in translation. It says "could" return, so that doesn't sound like they're certain, though who knows what the exact sense is in Spanish.

Poch is the Real Madrid type they will hire and sack in 5 months

Think last 15 years only Mourinho, Zidane and Ancelotti lasted more than 2 full seasons

It takes a certain type to work there not sure Poch has it

15 minutes ago, smg said:

Been following this all day. My fear now is that once again we will appoint someone who does not have unanimous fan support. Anything other than a perfect start and the knives will once again be out and we will be back to square one. (Again) I think it’s important to accept that we are no longer seen as a big club in terms of our on field performances and therefore expectations need to be more realistic in the short term. The new manager has to have the time to develop a group of players not just a pre season and a couple of transfer windows. We know ( if we are old enough) Ferguson needed time, Arteta was a mess to begin with and Potter took time to get Brighton organised and performing in the premier league. Are we as a fan base capable of showing that patience ? Which of the prospective managers are capable of achieving what we need I have no idea but we cannot continue to expect greatness just because of our increasingly distant past success.

I think the fan base will be much more patient with any of the names being mentioned than they were with Gerrard. A huge proportion of fans (and VT posters) could see and warned that SG would end up just like Sherwood before he was confirmed. It was clear there was no interview process and that Purslow had just gone and got his old mate.

The fans have been far more patient with every other manager I can remember including McLeish, so I would hope that patience will return again for this guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I think the fan base will be much more patient with any of the names being mentioned than they were with Gerrard. A huge proportion of fans (and VT posters) could see and warned that SG would end up just like Sherwood before he was confirmed. It was clear there was no interview process and that Purslow had just gone and got his old mate.

The fans have been far more patient with every other manager I can remember including McLeish, so I would hope that patience will return again for this guy.

Let’s hope so

Just now, El-Reacho said:

Patience with the players, that might be the real issue.

14 minutes ago, TomC said:

Machine translation of the most relevant parts (the first part discusses how he wants the Real Madrid job and never gets it):

I don't know the paper's reputation, and it's hard to parse the words in translation. It says "could" return, so that doesn't sound like they're certain, though who knows what the exact sense is in Spanish.

It's just lifted from here and then repurposed to its local audience - directly using numbers like 10 mill a year, 100 mill budget etc. Lots of noise but equally there is no direct quote yet from Poch or similar saying no - we wait patiently!

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Wolves have announced that their caretaker manager Steve Davis is to stay in charge until the new year, the claim that there were 'no outstanding candidates', big risk from them.

Harsh one on Stevie that.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, smg said:

Been following this all day. My fear now is that once again we will appoint someone who does not have unanimous fan support. Anything other than a perfect start and the knives will once again be out and we will be back to square one. (Again) I think it’s important to accept that we are no longer seen as a big club in terms of our on field performances and therefore expectations need to be more realistic in the short term. The new manager has to have the time to develop a group of players not just a pre season and a couple of transfer windows. We know ( if we are old enough) Ferguson needed time, Arteta was a mess to begin with and Potter took time to get Brighton organised and performing in the premier league. Are we as a fan base capable of showing that patience ? Which of the prospective managers are capable of achieving what we need I have no idea but we cannot continue to expect greatness just because of our increasingly distant past success.

People keep mentioning patience like we got rid of SG after three months. He had a full year, two transfer windows, a bunch of cash and we look worse than we did when he started. 

If the new guy comes in, spends £100m and we're in the drop zone this time next year, playing boring football that's devoid of any identiable system and with player morale at rock bottom, then yes I think our patience will run out. But I don't think that's unreasonable.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Wolves have announced that their caretaker manager Steve Davis is to stay in charge until the new year, the claim that there were 'no outstanding candidates', big risk from them.

The world cup break probably has a part to play in that.

3 minutes ago, smg said:

Even if we hirer Pep or Klopp there would still be fans that don’t think it’s right, so just give up the idea of unanimous support. The only think that would unite us would be if we hired Steve Bruce, but not in a supporting way.

I would happy if we improve, no need to win silverware, just that we can entertain and that we have a fighting chance in every game.

It is up to the club how long a manager gets, not the fans. If there is something to build on, most managers gets more time, even if the fans disagree. In Gerrard’s case, there was nothing there, he should have been sacked weeks maybe even months earlier.

When you say say greatness, what do you mean? Not sure how many fans that expect us to win the league, or even get into the top four. However, I would like to see us get around 50-60 points that would make me happy.