Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

Amorim is certainly an exciting prospect… and a few people have highlighted his attributes and record…

But it also carries a heavy element of risk…

My concern is… if we really are going to be paying a hefty sum for him (a record fee for a manager?! Hope we can negotiate that down somehow if that’s the way we are going) and put him on a long and lucrative contract, then what if it doesn’t work out? Again? How much more money will we be wasting? It brings about a certain element of fear or trepidation tbh… another failure and I feel like the owners will lose some motivation… especially if it comes at further and significant financial loss…

The guy is so young and relatively inexperienced too… can he adapt, adjust and deal with the added/different pressures and obligations of managing in this country and league??

Look what just happened with the last guy… not that it means that this would go the same way but… 

On the other side, if it works out then it could be amazing… Amorim is highly rated and has been mentioned as a target for some of the “top clubs”… he could be the next “star manager”… and is seen as “the next big thing”… wouldn’t it be incredible for us to steal a march on others and become on of the most progressive and entertaining sides around? Yes… yes it would be 🤣

I hope people a lot more knowledgable than us and more capable of seeing true potential and ability are making that consideration/decisions…

But… look who we last appointed…

STAY AWAY PURSLOW!

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

Just now, messi11 said:

To all the xenophobias and Garde's 2.0's  on here. We've tried PL experience and "British". Gary McAllister and Steven Gerrard had over 40+ years PL experience and it just didn't work. Lambert, Bruce, Di Matteo, Sherwood, Lambert, Mcleish the same. 

Its time for a change!  A young progressive European manager who is hungry for success and can take us forward. .Which club wouldn't want "the best young manager in Europe".

Welcome to the club Ruben Amorim

Yep the only successful British manager we had in a decade didnt have Premier League experience

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Amorim is certainly an exciting prospect… and a few people have highlighted his attributes and record…

1) My concern is… if we really are going to be paying a hefty sum for him (a record fee for a manager?! Hope we can negotiate that down somehow if that’s the way we are going) and put him on a long and lucrative contract, then what if it doesn’t work out? Again? How much more money will we be wasting? It brings about a certain element of fear or trepidation tbh… another failure and I feel like the owners will lose some motivation… especially if it comes at further and significant financial loss…

The guy is so young and relatively inexperienced too… can he adapt, adjust and deal with the added/different pressures and obligations of managing in this country and league??

Look what just happened with the last guy… not that it means that this would go the same way but… 

On the other side, if it works out then it could be amazing… the guy is highly rated and has been mentioned as a target for some of the “top clubs”… he could be the next “star manager”… and wouldn’t it be incredible for us to steal a march on others and become on of the most progressive and entertaining sides around? Yes… yes it would be 🤣

I hope people a lot more knowledgable than us and more capable of seeing true potential and ability are making that consideration/decisions…

STAY AWAY PURSLOW!

1) Its not your money so you shouldn't be concerned. Your bank balance will stay the same.

2) Age is just a number, Can you get more experienced then beating Spurs, Dortmund and playing the likes of Ajax and Man City in the champions league? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Has anyone dissected why he's not had a great season so far? Is it just the difficulty in losing the key players he did?

They’re generally regressing in the league under him, which is interesting. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think it’s more that the current manager market is a mess because of the World Cup. This season is now about survival. It’s a write off after a poor transfer window and some bad luck with injuries. 

We need to just get through it. Somehow try and rectify some of the mess we’ve created with the imbalance of the squad in the Summer and go from there. 

Someone like Dyche, on a 6 month deal might make sense. Also might not, depending on your opinion.

I haven't t seen every game from every team this season, but imo we are the worst team in the league right now.  There is quite a job to do to improve us to safety

Just now, messi11 said:

To all the xenophobias and Garde's 2.0's  on here. We've tried PL experience and "British". Gary McAllister and Steven Gerrard had over 40+ years PL experience and it just didn't work. Lambert, Bruce, Di Matteo, Sherwood, Lambert, Mcleish the same. 

Its time for a change!  A young progressive European manager who is hungry for success and can take us forward. .Which club wouldn't want "the best young manager in Europe".

Welcome to the club Ruben Amorim

I agree with much of what you’ve said and I don’t look at him as another Garde… first of all, it’s a completely different situation now and the club is in a much healthier state with better players and vastly better resources and finances compare to back then but Amorim is clearly a bright and talented prospect at the very least…

But… you have to admit that there is a significant element of risk here…

I’m open to being convinced… what else you got? 🤣

I certainly won’t be complaining IF he gets appointed and will be excited… initially at least 🤣

It’s a big job and task for him though… is he up to it? Working with and getting the best out of THESE players? And the pressures and added workload/stress of working in this league up against some of the toughest and strongest opponents and managers?

Can he adapt quickly enough?

Convince me 😁

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

They’re generally regressing in the league under him, which is interesting. 

My biggest concern, is he just the current sexy name that has a brief spell looking like the next best thing and then fades into obscurity while somebody else takes over for a while and then somebody else.

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

My concern is… if we really are going to be paying a hefty sum for him (a record fee for a manager?! Hope we can negotiate that down somehow if that’s the way we are going) and put him on a long and lucrative contract, then what if it doesn’t work out? Again? How much more money will we be wasting? It brings about a certain element of fear or trepidation tbh… another failure and I feel like the owners will lose some motivation… especially if it comes at further and significant financial loss…

On the other side, if it works out then it could be amazing… the guy is highly rated and has been mentioned as a target for some of the “top clubs”… he could be the next “star manager”… and wouldn’t it be incredible for us to steal a march on others and become on of the most progressive and entertaining sides around? Yes… yes it would be 🤣

STAY AWAY PURSLOW!

Yes, if we really are intent on going all in on this guy I just hope they’ve been doing loads of research on his tactics/systems and whether it will suit the players we have cos he’s going to have to hit the ground running. I want the hiring process to be considered and professional.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

1) Its not your money so you shouldn't be concerned. Your bank balance will stay the same.

2) Age is just a number, Can you get more experienced then beating Spurs, Dortmund and playing the likes of Ajax and Man City in the champions league? 

I don’t necessarily disagree with you… but there are valid questions to ask and valid concerns to have…

And I never go along with the “it’s not your money line”… how we manage our finances is a major factor in how our club is run, whether or not we will succeed and the mood and aims/aspirations of the owners… they will never be happy with wasting or losing money… eventually, that’s going to lead to demotivation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yes, if we really are intent on going all in on this guy I just hope they’ve been doing loads of research on his tactics/systems and whether it will suit the players we have cos he’s going to have to hit the ground running. I want the hiring process to be considered and professional.

Exactly… we shouldn’t be rushing into this or getting over excited without some proper analysis and research.

I don’t think we can afford to mess this up… again!

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

My biggest concern, is he just the current sexy name that has a brief spell looking like the next best thing and then fades into obscurity while somebody else takes over for a while and then somebody else.

I think he seems like a good candidate on paper, but you are 100% right. We need to pace ourselves a bit. Hype is a seductive thing. Some outlet or youtuber creates a piece on someone, romanticizing or bigging up a person or thing ad that pice then sparks more pieces. 

It's all about the man, and there we can only hope the club does it best to nail down if he is a good fit. Our lad Ruben is now decidedly riding a massive hype wave. That's not to say he shouldn't be the man, but that we, again, need to pace ourselves. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, messi11 said:

1) if we roll the dice, spend big again and get relegated, surely we are in a whole heap of xxxx.  Players we can't give away on huge salaries, ffp blown out of the water, points deductions etc etc

Amorim is a big risk but I reckon he will have a lot more patience from fans than Gerrard did. Will be at least a month before the cabbages are out.

Plus he gets a mini pre season to work with most of the squad pretty much. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Sporting are usually a toxic club to work for. They underachieve a lot for the fans expectations(*cough*) so him winning the title was huge

They lost a lot of talent as well he developed and not sure the replacements are as good