Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 minute ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Must come into the thinking during the selection. Which manager can get more from these more talented players?

It should be. It wasn't last time. 

7 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

It depends if the Juventus job is an option he isn't picking villa over Juventus is he,. That would just not happen, we are not comparable to Juventus in any way except wages we may pay.

I agree.. Juventus is a big deal.  I think Villa is the perfect club for him though but it sounds like he's waiting for the 'big job'

Just now, gurru991 said:

I agree.. Juventus is a big deal.  I think Villa is the perfect club for him though but it sounds like he's waiting for the 'big job'

It looks that way.  He turned down Nice not long ago.  

Bought back down to reality.  We have ambition, but are not seen to be in the top bracket..... yet.

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Does he tick the play good football box?

Who cares - if Diego Simeone suddenly became a Villa fan and wanted to be our manager I’d take his shithousing football to win trophies and titles. Emery is a good manager.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomC said:

I think that NSWE will go with a tried and true PL manager.

Amorim sounds intriguing. I might have favored him a year ago when the board sacked Deano. But nobody knows if he will work in the PL, and it's a risk that I don't see the board taking. We took our risk with SG and it didn't work out. We don't have another one to burn right now. I also don't know if he'd come. He's a young manager of a CL team that could get out of the group stages, so he has a chance to establish a reputation there. Why give that up?

Dyche is clearly a good man manager. We're all used to seeing him at limited-resource Burnley and using the sorts of tactics that you need to use to keep a club like that up. I don't fear "Dycheball" because he would probably use different tactics with us. Whether he would be successful with more better resources is a risk.

Would Poch or Tuchel come? I think that their age is overlooked. If this were a "last chance" job, I could see their hesitancy, but at 50, it's not a bad risk for them. They're old enough to have established positive reputations (unlike Amorim), and young enough that, even if Villa doesn't work out for them, they would still have another chance. As others have said, nothing in the PL top 6 is opening up soon anyway, although I can see some attractive continental jobs opening up (e.g. Juventus).

Some names I haven't seen mentioned (though I haven't read the whole thread) who have actually won in the PL: Roberto Mancini might want out of the Italy hot seat after failing to qualify for the World Cup. Manuel Pellegrini would probably consider Villa a step up from Real Betis, although he wasn't as successful at West Ham (a club with similar resources) as he was at City.

I agree Amorim sounds like a risk and paying £26m sounds a crazy amount to pay, especially on a gamble. However you’d like to think that we would do in depth due diligence on him, certainly more than we did last time. 

I know nothing about the man, either his character or type of football he plays, but he’s hardly got a hard act to follow. When you consider we wouldn’t bat an eyelid at spending £26m on a player, who could berubbish or break a leg or something, then paying that out for someone who could be massively influential on our future doesn’t sound so crazy. 

It’s just a pity Purslow wasted  year and a pile of money on his pal’s training scheme. I’m not saying we should get him, but he could be worth looking into. He’s about what we paid for Ollie Watkins and not much more than we almost paid for Sarr. Good old Stevie G may have saved us the money for his successor. 

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Does he look happy? Does he look settled?

Well he is according to his own words apparently as was quoted above somewhere. When Wolves were linked I believe. Of course words are cheap and this may be very wrong and just professional soundbites. 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

It looks that way.  He turned down Nice not long ago.  

Bought back down to reality.  We have ambition, but are not seen to be in the top bracket..... yet.

Talking of Simeone I think we’re where Athletico Madrid were when Simeone joined them. So we need to find someone similar imo. And for me that guy is Marcelo Gallardo. I believe he’d join us if we sell him the vision.

Whatever that vision is I don’t know. Unfortunately Pochettino isn’t going to come here so that’s where I think we need to look.

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not convinced.  Paying £26m just to buy out seems far too risky for who he is.  Yes may turn out to be a world beater but we can’t and shouldn’t take such a gamble. £26m is equivalent to Poch’s 2.5 years salary!  I hear Poch will/is saying no to us but there has to be a top manager that will say yes for that kind of money that is less risky.

Thats where i am at. 26m is too much for a unproven in england. If ut was like 5-10m then fine. But that 26m

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daft said:

We are not in a relegation battle.

As it stands we are totally in a relegation battle and looking the most out of sorts team in it.

Hopefully the right appointment changes it fast but with Brentford, Newcastle away, Man U & Brighton away upcoming it is not looking like changing anytime soon!

The new guy seriously needs to hit the ground running to avoid one that's for sure.

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

As it stands we are totally in a relegation battle and looking the most out of sorts team in it.

Hopefully the right appointment changes it fast but with Brentford, Newcastle away, Man U & Brighton away upcoming it is not looking like changing anytime soon!

The new guy seriously needs to hit the ground running to avoid one that's for sure.

Again, it's way to early to tell. Lots of points left to grab.