Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

They have a great recruitment team but lost their well respected director of football to Newcastle recently.

Brighton have acted intelligently in the market and signed talent at low prices, but they have a tight budget and aren't exactly spending freely. Striker is the most expensive category of players -- good strikers are nearly always expensive unless you find them young.

I agree.

Ah....could that be an issue, for us?

12 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

We should do too! Its just that since Gerrard come in he's demanded older, more experienced players so called "winners"  to the team. 
We need to go back to signing the best young talent. 

I quite like signing proven winners though, the top top teams all do that, makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I thought that was Johan Lange?

but not sure what that character, is all about.

Perhaps we will get a scandinavian manager next?

Are there even any good ones around? Ole-Gunnar? Can't think of a single Swedish one, but I'm not very keen on Swedish football to be honest.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Take a look at Viera's record too......Eddie Howe, couldn't buy a win when he first came, while SG picked up 4.

We need to ensure we don't lose our heads, while those around us are losing theirs.

He looks broken too.....has their buying dried up?

Funny how all the best managers, have the best players....is it a coincidence?

I hear what you're saying TRO. Maybe chopping managers all the time isn't the right way? I think that with Gerrard people will become less patient for multiple reasons: 1) Not a very likeable person - miserable git! 2) Liverpool connection 3) Way he used to play against us when a Liverpool player 4) Unknown qty other than winning a two horse race in Scotland 5) His treatment of certain players 6) He came in after Smith so someone without a connection to the club after someone who was Villa through and through etc. However, I believe that most, if not all, of those could be forgiven if we the fans could see some sort of identity in the way we are trying to play. Right now, we look completely out of ideas as a team. I watch us and have no idea what we are trying to do and it just seems like he himself has no ideas. I'd love him to tell us what exactly it is he is trying to get the players to do because I have no clue. 

I had the feeling last season that we were playing like a team that was trying to get the manager sacked. I think I even stated so on here in the Gerrard thread at one point. If that is the case, there's no better time to do that than at the start of the season when there's plenty of time to turn things around under a new manager. I just get the feeling he's pissed too many of them off with the way he is and the way he has gone about things. Now, maybe he is right. Maybe he sees weak players and wants to toughen them up for a fight for success and some aren't up to it. But, unless the club throw plenty of money at him I doubt he will be able to get rid of them and get players in that he does want.

I get the feeling the money has dried up to an extent in order to pay for the rebuild. With that in mind, surely we would be looking for a replacement with an eye on that and would want someone to get the best out of what we already have? I think that man right now would probably be Graham Potter. He is supposedly a Villa fan so they might wish to explore that route again whilst we get through the transitional period of rebuilding the stadium. 

To be honest, I think all any real fan wants is to get some entertainment for their money. Right now, we certainly aren't getting value for money from our team in terms of what they putting on show. 

6 minutes ago, daft said:

Are there even any good ones around? Ole-Gunnar? Can't think of a single Swedish one, but I'm not very keen on Swedish football to be honest.

Swedish - Olof Mellberg 

Danish - Martin Laursen

😉

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

This squad needs a serious rebuild....its not balanced right....and that is a daunting task.

We have some decent players, but it is not a TEAM......While I accept its a coaching issue, its much ,more too. The coach whoever he is, needs a balance to work with, too many of our players are  essentially the same or similar.....and too many are not functioning to their full potential all at the same time.....thats is hard to turn around.

The Transfer window has not helped either, after an encouraging start.....I think the club may have lost confidence, in the amont of damp squibs, we have signed......something is not right.

I don't know, who would turn this around, in the time we want.....and Potters record is no better on paper than SG's , it wasn't that much better at Swansea either.

I agree - I would argue our team is much less balanced than it was a year ago, when things were fairly harmonious and we'd had several transfer windows of buying players for a specific plan/system. Under those circumstances I think Potter could've come in and built a really good squad ready for this season. I'm not convinced he's right for the job now, and think he'd be mad to come here tbh.

My preference would still be Rodgers, I think he'd be able to get us playing effective football much quicker and would make a good go of the January window to fix issues in the squad

38 minutes ago, birdistheword said:

Leicester fans would seemingly drive Rogers here as they want him out.

Don’t know how accurate this is but it’s from their forum…

F1B4E2C6-9CD2-4BCA-8C36-3351F404E169.jpeg

Don’t know about the other managers but I don’t believe that’s quite correct for Gerrard’s overall record. 

I make it 

P31 W11 D5 L15 - 1.23PPG

I don’t know if the context of the Leicester supporters conversation is that they think that that return for us is good, but if they wanted to look at the return from Boxing Day onwards they’d find the PPG for the following 25 games since is 1.04. IF we were to lose tonight, the PPG would be a “nice” round 1.00.

Just further to this, of the 38 points attained since his arrival, nearly a third (31.6%) were during those opening 6 games. Over a third (36.4%) of our wins were during that opening month.

22 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Swedish - Olof Mellberg 

Danish - Martin Laursen

😉

I actually suggested Mellberg (as a joke) a few pages back. And managed to forget. Then again, he seems pretty shit as a manager tbh. 😅

Laursen has no badges from what I gather? 

1 minute ago, daft said:

I actually suggested Mellberg (as a joke) a few pages back. And managed to forget. Then again, he seems pretty shit as a manager tbh. 😅

Laursen has no badges from what I gather? 

Yeah, strangely neither of them have amounted to much. They were such good leaders on the pitch, with such defensive nous, I'd have thought they'd make good coaches, if not managers. Apparently not.

Shame really. Though understand it's not for everyone either.

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Yeah, strangely neither of them have amounted to much. They were such good leaders on the pitch, with such defensive nous, I'd have thought they'd make good coaches, if not managers. Apparently not.

Shame really. Though understand it's not for everyone either.

Laursen I think is simply not keen. He did actually manage a bunch or so years ago, but I think he's said he's content to coach his sons team and leave it at that. 

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

New manager bounce. One of the reasons that if you look at the whole of his time here you have to consider the bounce when he came in. He also didn't have time to make too many changes tactically or to formation. Since he's started to tinker around with the system we've become much worse. Worse even than prior to his arrival. 

We should appoint a new one every other week. Would win the league immediately. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure about Potter to be honest, just because a manager follows Villa should not be a pre-requisite for the Villa managers job! 🙂

I do think we need a manager with Premier League experience though, it's a tough gig

2 hours ago, TRO said:

If Graham Potter is to become the next Villa Manager, I fear we are going down a similar road to what we did with Dean......boyhood villa fan yes, but the real worry is, The backroom setup at Brighton, is like Brentford.....and He can't take that with him, like Dean couldn't.

Lets just have a look at his record at Brighton

P       W      D     L     Win Ratio      PPG

134    41    46   47       30.6%        1.26

Now thats on the back of a good recruitment set up.....which ours is debatable.

That to me, looks like "hard to beat"....which is something, right now, but not much more than that.

It's Brighton

• Like 2