Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, Dale said:

What would people think to Gio van Bronckhorst 😏... A better, cheaper choice when Gerrard came in who seems to have done incredibly well since. Won Eredivisie, Scottish Cup (as many trophies in Scotland in a sixth of the time) got Rangers to Uefa Cup Final and into Champions League. Serial winner as a player too, multiple leagues and cups! 

I'm only half joking, but does go to show that the options at the time we got rid of Dean were richer than the club seemed to think. 

He is in a different league compared to Gerrard, that is for sure. Smith was sacked to get Gerrard in, I don’t think any other candidates was considered. At the time there were a sea of better candidates, and at the time I’m sure we would have gotten Potter if we had tried.

But how pissed would the Rangers fan be if we sacked Gerrard and hired von Bronckhorst.

• Haha 1

I have posted on here before about Rangers and many Villa fans say that Rangers would struggle against Rotherham, Gillingham and teams like that because they are a diddy club playing in a diddy league. For Van Bronckhurst to get them to a Europa League Final and now Champions League beating times like Dortmund, Leipzig and PSV, suggests that the Dutchman is an amazing manager, managing a diddy club from a diddy league and doing so well, or the English lower divisions are amongst the best in the world. Certainly seems better manager to SG despite losing league to another diddy club in Celtic. 

2 hours ago, Stoobs said:

I have posted on here before about Rangers and many Villa fans say that Rangers would struggle against Rotherham, Gillingham and teams like that because they are a diddy club playing in a diddy league. For Van Bronckhurst to get them to a Europa League Final and now Champions League beating times like Dortmund, Leipzig and PSV, suggests that the Dutchman is an amazing manager, managing a diddy club from a diddy league and doing so well, or the English lower divisions are amongst the best in the world. Certainly seems better manager to SG despite losing league to another diddy club in Celtic. 

Happy to see Rangers do well! Congrats on the Champs league, Big achievement.

57 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We're in a race with Leicester, Everton and maybe West Ham and Southampton.

We're probably all going for a similar level of manager.

Get him gone.

If we sacked him now, what do you think that prospective replacement managers would think? I suspect that any decent ones would avoid us like the plague. They are not risking their reputations on a club with a long history of under performing and an ownership with no patience.

Fortunately our owners are patient and intelligent. Gerrard is not getting sacked anytime soon. Maybe if things are looking truly disastrous at the WC break, then they may consider their options but ahead of that nothing will happen and I really believe that our time as supporters would be better spent really getting behind the team. The overwhelming negative energy is really destructive.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think they'd say "£5-8m a year? Yes please. I can do an incredible job with that squad."

It's a decision based on performance and evidence. Nothing else. We have been awful for a very long time. Take out the new manager bounce, we have about 3 good performances when not sat behind the ball.

You don't get to keep failing in the hope you'll stumble into success. 

Season over then. Bottom half nailed on. FFP pressure builds with the wages massively increased by Gerrard for regression on the pitch.

Fans will back the team from the off every game. If we haven't had the ball for the first 30 mins and are 2-0 down, they will be unhappy. If we've put together a few attacks and look like a football team, they will be happy.

We don’t have an incredible squad in my view. We have been awful for a long time because our squad isn’t very good. Apart from a weird period when the world went mad during the initial lock down, we have consistently been relegation fodder.

Most of our players have never performed consistently well in the PL. If we sort out our midfield with 2 quality players then I would say we have a starting eleven that is somewhere between the 9th and 14th best starting eleven in the league. We do have a bit more depth now but the starting eleven hasn’t really improved that much.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We don’t have an incredible squad in my view. We have been awful for a long time because our squad isn’t very good. Apart from a weird period when the world went mad during the initial lock down, we have consistently been relegation fodder.

We'll have to disagree there.

25 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Most of our players have never performed consistently well in the PL. If we sort out our midfield with 2 quality players then I would say we have a starting eleven that is somewhere between the 9th and 14th best starting eleven in the league. We do have a bit more depth now but the starting eleven hasn’t really improved that much.

Should Gerrard have bought a midfielder then?

He's spent £25m on a left back when he had a serviceable left back. £17m on an attacking midfielder when he had a serviceable attacking midfielder.

He's made McGinn captain so that would indicate he's happy with him? I don't think that's a very good decision. A new man might have a look at performances on the pitch and decide who should play.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We'll have to disagree there.

Should Gerrard have bought a midfielder then?

He's spent £25m on a left back when he had a serviceable left back. £17m on an attacking midfielder when he had a serviceable attacking midfielder.

He's made McGinn captain so that would indicate he's happy with him? I don't think that's a very good decision. A new man might have a look at performances on the pitch and decide who should play.

Gerrard has repeatedly stated that he wants an 8. He identified this very early. It’s Lange’s job to get that done. So far, in the 2 transfer windows that Gerrard has been in charge, plus some during Dean’s tenure, he has failed.

Gerrard has also stated that McGinn being captain does not make him an automatic starter. 

• Like 1

Just now, M_Afro said:

Gerrard has repeatedly stated that he wants an 8. He identified this very early. It’s Lange’s job to get that done. So far, in the 2 transfer windows that Gerrard has been in charge, plus some during Dean’s tenure, he has failed.

And we'll likely never know who has been put forward, who has been bid for etc.

I hope if Gerrard has been pushing for a ~30 year old midfielder on huge money like his other signings the club has refused.

That isn't the way to go. Three starting XI purchases over 29 is enough.

Just now, M_Afro said:

Gerrard has also stated that McGinn being captain does not make him an automatic starter. 

I don't believe him. I think he is an automatic starter regardless of performance. Bit of a gap between what Gerrard says and reality on a few things at the moment.

He should barely be making the bench right now and is killing us in general play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

If we sacked him now, what do you think that prospective replacement managers would think? I suspect that any decent ones would avoid us like the plague. They are not risking their reputations on a club with a long history of under performing and an ownership with no patience.

Fortunately our owners are patient and intelligent. Gerrard is not getting sacked anytime soon. Maybe if things are looking truly disastrous at the WC break, then they may consider their options but ahead of that nothing will happen and I really believe that our time as supporters would be better spent really getting behind the team. The overwhelming negative energy is really destructive.

I think a sensible manager would recognise our current managers failings, look at our squad and say I can work with that with a few tactical tweaks

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

So if Gerrard finishes 14th again, you think that's fine?

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think a sensible manager would recognise our current managers failings, look at our squad and say I can work with that with a few tactical tweaks

Anyone would think we have a championship squad, compared to most other teams around us we have invested more and brought in so called big signings... I'm certain a manager who knew what they were doing could get us top half.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of Deano's flaws was he had no plan B, another was that his substitutions were often poorly timed or poor decision on player.

I see the same flaws in our current manager, I see the same panic in the team when things aren't going our way...

Nothing has changed, I don't care who the next manager is really, as long as something changes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Whilst I agree with the general sentiment of this and the inevitable media backlash, sacked after just a handful of games type of thing, I think the next three games are critical to his time here. None of them are easy, even though West Ham are bottom, but we must play well and beat them this weekend. The following two games are two of the toughest games, on paper at least, that we’ll play this season. Roll over and die and SG will get slaughtered an rightly so. Put up a fight and look like we have a workable plan, then even if we lose he may buy some time, at least with the powers that be. Three weak and clueless defeats and he could well be toast.

Patience has its merits but if the results of patience begin to look as weak and clueless as the manager then nervous fingers will be hovering over the trigger. I’d like to think that Purslow has no interest in going down with the ship and I doubt NSWE are as blinded by the SG light as he appears to be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think they'd say "£5-8m a year? Yes please. I can do an incredible job with that squad."

It's a decision based on performance and evidence. Nothing else. We have been awful for a very long time. Take out the new manager bounce, we have about 3 good performances when not sat behind the ball.

You don't get to keep failing in the hope you'll stumble into success. 

Season over then. Bottom half nailed on. FFP pressure builds with the wages massively increased by Gerrard for regression on the pitch.

Fans will back the team from the off every game. If we haven't had the ball for the first 30 mins and are 2-0 down, they will be unhappy. If we've put together a few attacks and look like a football team, they will be happy.

The problem is the negativity builds in social media into the stadium . We do back the team initially but the atmosphere particularly at home drys up very quickly. No coincidence SG record has a better record away from VP. Platforms like this a fantastic but they can also help to build negative energy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

So if Gerrard finishes 14th again, you think that's fine?

Nope because if we get a bit of luck we could do better. The point is, it wouldn’t necessarily be awful because our squad, in my opinion, is not as good as some make out. It may only take a couple of well thought out signings to change that but we aren’t there yet.

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I also have reservations about Lange....but like Gerrard, unless I know everything he does, and I don't, its unfair to criticise him.....The input and the outcome, don't always co-relate, as much as we like to think it does.

While I am not in favour of John McGinn being captain, I think the options he had was minimal, its another indictment on this squad, not enough players, with leadership qualities......that is a flaw, imv.

However, I think this thread is disrespectful to a current manager trying turn around a poor start to the season....it smacks of bandwagon.

I also think if any prospective manager, was guided to this, and seen how a thread was constructed after 1 game this season, they would have grave doubts about joining.....and who could really blame them.

Thankfully, there is little chance of that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Does it really matter nowadays? Most clubs now have 3 managers in five years or shorter time. Someone like Conte didn't care last season Spurs gave Nuno about 10 league games, Gerrard was straight in when we sacked DS so he'd obviously been sounded out in weeks before which you simply have to do.

Villa job is still attractive as we tend to back our managers with what we've spent since promotion in 2019.