Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Rodgers is a slimy toad.

Obviously a better manager than Gerrard.

On evidence, you'd have to say a better one than Dean Smith as well, but he doesn't feel like a surefire thing to me. Getting him 12 months ago would have felt a big coup.

A year out and I'd feel better with him than getting him straight from a rotten 18 months at Leicester. He needs a break.

He also hates working under a transfer policy and blows money on bad signings he sees on MOTD. Benteke and Perez always stick out in my head. Neither made sense at the time. I think it contributed strongly to Liverpool biffing him.

It was the whole envelope thing for me.

• Haha 1

If we can’t get Poch, I would settle for Rodgers. Clearly and obviously WAY better than Gerrard. Actually has a record, experience and several trophies and achievements behind him too.

Not that it holds much credence (although SG only won 1 out of 9 available trophies) but Rodgers absolutely tore it up in the SPL and won everything, breaking records?

He led Leicester to an FA Cup win… how we would love an achievement like that…

But I want Poch! 😁

12 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

I agree, but there's no way a Champions League manager is coming to a club who haven't played in Europe in the last 2 decades. 

Ancelotti (a 4 time CL winning manager) went to Everton and they haven't either. 

Just now, Steero113 said:

Ancelotti (a 4 time CL winning manager) went to Everton and they haven't either. 

He didn't stay long though did he. That would be the main problem with getting Pochettino. As soon as a bigger job came up he would be gone. We need years to get into Europe, and probably a decade to get into the top 4 regularly. For that we need someone that wants to do that with Villa and not just see us as a stepping stone 

Rodgers isn't ideal but **** hell, Gerrard makes him look like the bastard offspring of Shankley and Clough.

As much as I personally don't like him, as A Manager he's better than what we have, an empty suit with a Scouse accented Cliche module near it's collar.

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

He didn't stay long though did he. That would be the main problem with getting Pochettino. As soon as a bigger job came up he would be gone. We need years to get into Europe, and probably a decade to get into the top 4 regularly. For that we need someone that wants to do that with Villa and not just see us as a stepping stone 

We can't not employee someone because we are afraid he will leave, we need to employ the absolute best possible and then it is Purslow's job to make sure he can realise all of his ambitions at Aston Villa

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

We can't not employee someone because we are afraid he will leave, we need to employ the absolute best possible and then it is Purslow's job to make sure he can realise all of his ambitions at Aston Villa

Thats fine, but we aint getting Pochettino. We'd be lucky to get Rodgers (who I've always liked) but more likely end up with someone like Potter. I've got nothing against Potter, he seems to be improving Brighton anyway. Maybe Gerrard will turn it around, maybe he won't. Maybe Pochettino is sitting at home saying to his missus that he hopes Villa ring him. 

4 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Any problem with Pochettino is irrelevant compare to the problems we have with Gerrard. First mission is to get Gerrard out, after that we could consider to worry about something else.

Also any manager we get in, if they are successful, could leave us for a bigger club. If we want a manager that wouldn’t leave us, we should continue with Gerrard. 

9 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Thats fine, but we aint getting Pochettino. We'd be lucky to get Rodgers (who I've always liked) but more likely end up with someone like Potter. I've got nothing against Potter, he seems to be improving Brighton anyway. Maybe Gerrard will turn it around, maybe he won't. Maybe Pochettino is sitting at home saying to his missus that he hopes Villa ring him. 

Personally, I would rate Potter higher than Rodgers. i also don't see why we can't get Poch, but it would cost us. I hope Purslow has his ph number as I would hate to think of him waiting by the phone and Purslow thinking he wished he had Poch's ph number :)

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Seriously I do not get this. Pochettino failed in his last season at Spurs, his stay at PSG can only be described as a failure. We would provide him with a perfect opportunity to rebuild his career. I can’t see why he should turn us down.

29 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Any problem with Pochettino is irrelevant compare to the problems we have with Gerrard. First mission is to get Gerrard out, after that we could consider to worry about something else.

Also any manager we get in, if they are successful, could leave us for a bigger club. If we want a manager that wouldn’t leave us, we should continue with Gerrard. 

Any successful manager could leave, but that risk is higher when the manager is seen as a lot bigger than the club. Just like Ancelotti at Everton.

I was very much in the 'time for Smith to go' camp and think Villa had become stagnant, he didnt have a plan without Grealish and he didnt deserve it to turn toxic after all the brilliant work he had done. He left at the right time for him and us.

However, he is ten times the manager/man than Gerrard is and would be getting far more from this squad than we are currently getting. If it was now only a direct choice between the two options, I wouldn't hesitate to choose Smith. Careful what you wish for I suppose.

Going forward, I doubt there are many worse options out there, Lampard maybe. There are good options and bad options, but even the bad options would be better than Gerrard. He is, considering his starting position/squad, probably the worst manager we've had in living memory. This squad should sleepwalk in to tenth with absolutely no direction.

I'd be more than happy to see the back of him and leave a caretaker in place in the meantime. We need him out the club as soon as possible.