Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 minute ago, mikeyjavfc said:

We are not in Everton’s situation yet but we are well on our way. The appointment after Gerrard is absolutely vital to our future success. If we get to a situation where we are tied by FFP after too many crap signings and managerial sackings all hope of breaking the top 8 dies.

It's possibly already died....

Palace look like they could be in with a shot at Top Eight and good luck to them, Vieira has done well and they are already a team to watch.

But on the next manager, Pochettino won't come and wouldn't entertain the idea. He can take his pick of a genuine Top Six team.

Potter is the man I feel, but would he come? NSWE should give him and Brighton what they want.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

My reluctance to keep defending poor play, is the reason for my change of heart, not just one game.

I mean, you were Gerrard in before Palace. So it is just one game.

No one has been able to answer the question of what have you seen to make you think Gerrard is the man.

Actually. Think @jim did once to be fair. Said something like we played some good stuff at times last year. 

At times isn't enough for me when the rest of the time it's been absolutely garbage. Ponderous, hesitant, clueless football.

I would also again say a huge portion of our points under him came near the start of his time. We're in a downward spiral under him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's possibly already died....

Palace look like they could be in with a shot at Top Eight and good luck to them, Vieira has done well and they are already a team to watch.

But on the next manager, Pochettino won't come and wouldn't entertain the idea. He can take his pick of a genuine Top Six team.

Potter is the man I feel, but would he come? NSWE should give him and Brighton what they want.

I agree about Potter, he is the coach we are crying out for who can improve the existing squad. If we couldn’t get him immediately I would actually appoint an interim and wait until summer. This appointment needs to be for the next 3 to 5 years so it has to be right.

This is some very sound thinking by Jonas Boldt of Bayer Leverkusen. Whenever it happens, it needs to be right, and we must understand what that person needs and how to recreate the good part of his previous successes:

CA804E17-9ACB-46DD-BA72-4BF2F21964D1.thumb.jpeg.b0cb83dec8b0f5ab16e71c140c245278.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

No way 9 months ago a lot of people wouldn’t have accepted either Marsch or Howe. Goes to show as both have excelled. 

Agreed, so far they have done well. But it's a marathon, not a sprint. Credit where credit is due, but they still have everything to prove. The real test comes when everything goes to shit.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I mean, you were Gerrard in before Palace. So it is just one game.

No one has been able to answer the question of what have you seen to make you think Gerrard is the man.

Actually. Think @jim did once to be fair. Said something like we played some good stuff at times last year. 

At times isn't enough for me when the rest of the time it's been absolutely garbage. Ponderous, hesitant, clueless football.

I would also again say a huge portion of our points under him came near the start of his time. We're in a downward spiral under him.

I haven't said, I am Gerrard out....you don't read very well, do you?

After the debacle at Bournemouth, and the unconvincing win against Everton and then the same flaws in evidence against Palace.....What I said was I can't defend him playing that kind of football.

Considering the few wins in a bundle of games, inc last season, I am doubting his ability to fix it.....that too could be pre mature of course, but I reserve the right, to change my mind....maybe some signings might help?

So watch my lips.....I am not in favour of him being sacked,at present,  but that could change, if this insipid football continues.

can you acknowledge, you understand, my stance?

18 minutes ago, daft said:

Agreed, so far they have done well. But it's a marathon, not a sprint. Credit where credit is due, but they still have everything to prove. The real test comes when everything goes to shit.

We could say that, with our present manager......now is the time, he should be learning.

The problem being some of the stuff, we get wrong does seem to be, pretty basic.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I haven't said, I am Gerrard out....you don't read very well, do you?

After the debacle at Bournemouth, and the unconvincing win against Everton and then the same flaws in evidence against Palace.....What I said was I can't defend him playing that kind of football.

Considering the few wins in a bundle of games, inc last season, I am doubting his ability to fix it.....that too could be pre mature of course, but I reserve the right, to change my mind....maybe some signings might help?

So watch my lips.....I am not in favour of him being sacked,at present,  but that could change, if this insipid football continues.

can you acknowledge, you understand, my stance?

It's quite often tricky to decipher your stuff to be honest. I think I'm with you though.

Surprised he's still got credit in the bank. It's been insipid for quite some time. Fair enough if there's something you've seen (???) to make you think he can turn it round.

For me, sack him now, tomorrow, after West Ham. Don't really care. I don't want this season to become another relegation battle and the longer he's here the more likely that's what it'll be.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, thabucks said:

No way 9 months ago a lot of people wouldn’t have accepted either Marsch or Howe. Goes to show as both have excelled. 

The exact people who have been behind Gerrard would have been moaning beyond belief with either. They want a big name.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

We could say that, with our present manager......now is the time, he should be learning.

The problem being some of the stuff, we get wrong does seem to be, pretty basic.

Yes, but just as people tend to view the bleak with an altogether too pessimistic view, the good times can easily be viewed with too much confidence and self-assuredness. You must always strive to improve. 

1 hour ago, daft said:

This is some very sound thinking by Jonas Boldt of Bayer Leverkusen. Whenever it happens, it needs to be right, and we must understand what that person needs and how to recreate the good part of his previous successes:

CA804E17-9ACB-46DD-BA72-4BF2F21964D1.thumb.jpeg.b0cb83dec8b0f5ab16e71c140c245278.jpeg

Sack Gerrard and bring back Delaney

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, a-k said:

Sack Gerrard and bring back Delaney

Now, let's not get extreme here. 😅 But we MUST make all effort to understand what made the new man successful. It's imperative.

1 hour ago, daft said:

Very interesting and makes a lot of sense, but wouldn't that result in there basically being no changes when the changes manager? Favorite players remain favorite etc. 

Sometimes you need an external manager to actually change things. I'm all for having a style of play and philosophy and hire managers that fit that style and philosophy, but new managers should also bring something different in imo

• Like 1

Just now, Chicken Field said:

Very interesting and makes a lot of sense, but wouldn't that result in there basically being no changes when the changes manager? Favorite players remain favorite etc. 

Sometimes you need an external manager to actually change things. I'm all for having a style of play and philosophy and hire managers that fit that style and philosophy, but new managers should also bring something different in imo

No, not at all. Managers are individuals, and you can implement a philosophy in many different ways. This is more in relation to making sure the circumstances are at least similar to earlier successes, which doesn’t mean exactly identical. 

Bringing up coaches internally is one way, and helps with understanding the inner workings, warts and all, of the club, but it isn’t the only way. 

Germany has really produced a lot of good ones this way. Klopp with Mainz for example. 

• Like 1

People have compared our appointment of Gerrard with the Howe and Marsh taking over at Newcastle and Leeds.

They both seem to be doing really well at present.I think Newcastle particularly were being managed very badly so with a decent manager they have improved.I don’t think with Smith we were being managed poorly.I can’t think of any player who is playing better under Gerrard than they were under Smith with the exception of Cash.

For all Smiths faults Gerrard was certainly no upgrade.

We desperately need an experienced manager 

.Poch no chance.

Potter not sure if he would come maybe wait for a bigger job.