Football Manager 2023

Villaphan04

The squad planner sounds like a good idea. You can move players around, see a projection for up to 5 seasons in to the future I think - all described as a 'safe space', so not like when you move players around your senior and U23 squad which might upset them, players won't react to whatever you do there, as they aren't actual changes to the squad. 

6 minutes ago, hogso said:

The squad planner sounds like a good idea. You can move players around, see a projection for up to 5 seasons in to the future I think - all described as a 'safe space', so not like when you move players around your senior and U23 squad which might upset them, players won't react to whatever you do there, as they aren't actual changes to the squad. 

I really liked this feature. However I'll still be using my notepad :D 

On 12/10/2022 at 07:42, daft said:

Anyone kept up with any announcements? What are this years highlighted updates?

As if by magic, SI have put together a bite size video with the headline feaures

• Thanks 1

The feature I would like, and no idea if it's actually in the game or ever has been would be around using two monitors.

The 3d pitch stays on one monitor, and then you can affect changes, tactics, subs etc on the 2nd monitor with the pitch still open. Failing that having a companion app on a table that lets you do this as long as your on the same wifi connection. Some software allows this, I just think for FM it would be an absolute game changer, and allow me to realise my dream of having the 3d match up on my 58" bastard whilst able to make tweaks using a separate screen.... Just like a real manager.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

The feature I would like, and no idea if it's actually in the game or ever has been would be around using two monitors.

The 3d pitch stays on one monitor, and then you can affect changes, tactics, subs etc on the 2nd monitor with the pitch still open. Failing that having a companion app on a table that lets you do this as long as your on the same wifi connection. Some software allows this, I just think for FM it would be an absolute game changer, and allow me to realise my dream of having the 3d match up on my 58" bastard whilst able to make tweaks using a separate screen.... Just like a real manager.

That is actually a really good idea. I run a multi-monitor set-up and would love this. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

or a linked tablet or other device, PS5 running the full game whilst im looking at ratings and fitness on my phone, that would revolutionise the game

that said id still play text only with goal replays 😋

I actually love the 3D engine. I've been playing since the first game, and I think that was the biggest improvement for me. 😅

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

or a linked tablet or other device, PS5 running the full game whilst im looking at ratings and fitness on my phone, that would revolutionise the game

that said id still play text only with goal replays 😋

Even with the option of a 3d engine (and the fact I have a laptop more than capable of running it even if it looked like FIFA), I always remain faithful to the Championship Manager style 'Commentary Only' option.

I don't even bother with the replays. Play the match then 'go on holiday' until next game/registration or transfer deadline and repeat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Even with the option of a 3d engine (and the fact I have a laptop more than capable of running it even if it looked like FIFA), I always remain faithful to the Championship Manager style 'Commentary Only' option.

I don't even bother with the replays. Play the match then 'go on holiday' until next game/registration or transfer deadline and repeat.

I don't go on holiday! But yeah I'm commentary only, the replay stuff is relatively new for me, when it was a bit janky and daft I didn't bother, it's getting better even if it still doesn't look right

A huge part of FM for me is using my imagination and keeping my brain ticking over while reading the text

Edit - I tend to manually scout a lot in between games, try and do cycles of like top 10 clubs in Argentina then when those reports are in move on to Chile that kind of thing, never bother setting up my scouts on missions where they'll come back and tell that mbappe kid is alright, I do it all myself

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Edit - I tend to manually scout a lot in between games, try and do cycles of like top 10 clubs in Argentina then when those reports are in move on to Chile that kind of thing, never bother setting up my scouts on missions where they'll come back and tell that mbappe kid is alright, I do it all myself

I do this too, but I do also have a team of scouts (one for each section of Europe, two for South America, and one for each of the other continents). I sent them to 'ongoing' so they never stop searching and set the age to under 18 (or 19 if they're searching an area where kids can't sign for international clubs until they're over 18). Then I just sign the best they come back with for each position in my system every year or two.

Unless I just completely change my mind, I think for the first time I'm going to skip a year of FM. The past couple versions haven't done it for me really and by all accounts FM23 seems barely any different to 22.

It's becoming a waste of money for me and it never used to be that way. 

15 hours ago, Farlz said:

Unless I just completely change my mind, I think for the first time I'm going to skip a year of FM. The past couple versions haven't done it for me really and by all accounts FM23 seems barely any different to 22.

It's becoming a waste of money for me and it never used to be that way. 

...whereas the last one I bought was FM20 and it's time for an upgrade :D 

(Edit:  Although I'm currently playing CM 97/98 so....)

Edited by bobzy

20 and 21 were fundamentally broken due to the fact that crosses did not work 90% of the time. Mega frustrating, but I persisted with 22, and most of my issues with it have been rectified to a greater or lesser extent. I'm going to stick with 22, as I finally have one (since 17/18 which I played the monkeys out of) which I can live with. 

I think my main problem is the disconnect in tactics and how you convey what you want your players to do to them. It has gotten better, but it's a bit like running in syrup trying to get your players to do simple things. IRL it's just 'if this happens, try to do this'. Not so in FM. 😅 You need a role and a mentality and possibly an instruction, but they all interact in weird ways that must essentially be learned first. 

I'm enjoying the beta - it's the same game as FM20, but obviously different.

Started as a complete unknown manager (lowest levels, Sunday League player etc) and unemployed.  Applied for a few jobs (Concord Rangers, Bath City, Havant & Waterlooville etc) but couldn't get anything.  Eventually, Buxton approached me due to my "reputation in the game" (lol) - in the bottom 3 and looking to get into the playoffs.  I accepted all of their ambitions and got the job.  For the tactic, I created one that the game suggested due to the players at my disposal.  Lost the first game 2-1, but then won 1-0, drew 1-1 with the league leaders, won another 1-0 and drew 1-1 against a team in the playoffs.  All in all, a decent enough start.  Next game I lost 3-1 at home... AND GOT SACKED :D.  Quickest sacking I've ever encountered in an FM game.

As fate would have it, I managed to get the Concord Rangers job a month or so later with the side 23rd in the league.  Set the ambition as to avoid relegation, chose my own formation and ignored what the game suggested.  Finished the season in 14th place (got as high as 10th at one point) and now everyone loves me.  Currently sat 6th after 7 games in the second season, having played solely "top teams" in the league thus far.

Also, Newcastle broke the top 4 in the first season (4th) and are in the Champions League.  Villa finished 6th and made the Europa.  Played Boubacar Kamara at centre back for the season alongside a mix of Konsa and Carlos.  Mings barely played and has been transfer listed.  They signed Renato Tapia to play DM and have Luiz and McGinn playing ahead of him.  No other notable signings!  Kamara was sold to Real Madrid for £47m.

i'll do my normal FM thing, start as arsenal and scout like crazy finding and buying as many wonderkids as i can, get about 5 years in quit and do a villa save buying the best of those wonderkids, in the january transfer window villa will buy someone in real life that spoils my FM game, will do a save with someone like ajax or psg or dortmund and go after fergie in the hall of fame, get bored, go back to a final big villa save 

done that for 10+ years now even though arsenal no longer have the best scouting set up in the game

i might even do a city save for the first time ever, haaland in the last 2 games has been laughably good for me 

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i'll do my normal FM thing, start as arsenal and scout like crazy finding and buying as many wonderkids as i can, get about 5 years in quit and do a villa save buying the best of those wonderkids, in the january transfer window villa will buy someone in real life that spoils my FM game, will do a save with someone like ajax or psg or dortmund and go after fergie in the hall of fame, get bored, go back to a final big villa save 

done that for 10+ years now even though arsenal no longer have the best scouting set up in the game

i might even do a city save for the first time ever, haaland in the last 2 games has been laughably good for me 

I always do a Villa save, but playing as a top team (that I haven't developed) has zero appeal to me.  Surely it's just far too easy?

Just now, bobzy said:

I always do a Villa save, but playing as a top team (that I haven't developed) has zero appeal to me.  Surely it's just far too easy?

In total I will play 4 maybe 5 big saves, I always do one with the target of topping Fergie in the HoF, it's incredibly hard actually just because of how much he's won, it then almost inevitably leads to unlocking all the achievements and extras too, I also like games such as ajax where OK the league is easy but the CL is tough and there's a great youth set up to work with

Villa for me are one of the hardest teams on the game, they usually lead to frustration and show me the worst parts of the game with injuries and dodgy results etc plus the fact that within 3 seasons I've replaced the entire real life team which I don't like and for years and years villa produce no workable youngsters for me, almost to the extent where I think the game is broken

Playing it as a non league team where I don't know any of the players or even half the teams doesn't appeal to me, I did use to do the old achievements that were like take a Brazilian 4th tier team to the top tier, I've also done things like the Croatian league where you overthrown donamo Zagreb but ultimately I found it less enjoyable cos my knowledge just isn't there 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I struggle to get interested in starting with top teams, and rarely even do a Villa start tbh. My regular first solo game has been, like you've done, start with little/no experience/badges and unemployed with about as many leagues loaded as laptop can handle, then see where I end up. Then the plan is normally to move up the leagues as quickly as possible and end up at Villa at some point down the line. Few games back I did Distillery in NI third tier to Premier League (with Newcastle) in 6th season. Could have moved to Prem in 5th season but rejected job as Villa (in Championship) came up, then Villa rejected me lol.

Having said that, struggled to get into any solo game on fm22 and mostly played online. Planning for a day one, 3 team online start in League Two with Swindon, Bradford and Wimbledon to see who can get back to PL first.

On 23/07/2022 at 13:54, daft said:

How do network games work? Asynchronously until you face a human opponent or always in synch with all having to be online? Never tried one despite playing since the original CM days. 

Just got back to it after a few years hiatus and trying my hand at some LLM with Chester at the moment. 

Remembered you asked this back in fm22 thread @daft and never replied. So, basically it's the latter. You don't have to be online, but if the game is live and being progressed and you are not online then your assistant will take over, so better to schedule times when all players can be online at same time. Exceptions to this might be if all agree to progress game through a period without games, eg in summer, international breaks, etc. Or in transfer window we've had occassions where host will load game just for one or two players to do transfer prep without progressing the game.

• Thanks 1

Â