Football Manager 2023

Villaphan04

Going to pull this thread from the depths in a semi-blog, semi-question sort of way.

I'm now in the year 2039 of my Super Nova save - I'm utterly dominant domestically.  It's way, way too easy.  I've won the title 16 seasons in a row and currently on a 248 game unbeaten streak in the league (21st August 2032 to 2nd July 2039 :D - also had a 112 run winning streak from that August date).  Have also won the Latvian Cup 9 times in a row and 13 times in the last 12 seasons - I struggled in the first 4 seasons, no idea why.  Finances at a healthy £568m with a transfer budget of £225m and wage budget of £618k/wk.  I have State Of The Art training facilities but also Good youth facilities - for some reason, I can't seem to upgrade these with any regularity despite my board wanting me to "Develop players using the club's youth system" and currently being very disappointed with my progress towards this :D.

My team has been kitted out - generally - with some really promising young players; some of which I manage to keep hold of, some of which I end up taking a transfer fee for and they join Man Utd/PSG/Tottenham (for some reason, the players really love Spurs).  I managed to fluke winning the Champions League a couple of seasons back, but am basically a team that sits somewhere between the last 16 and QF stages "naturally".  Have been to the semi finals twice aside from the winning run, though.  I'm basically a pretty good side and ridiculously good in Latvian terms.  For the last 50 or so National Team games, I've also been the Latvian manager.  I figured being a better manager at that level would help boost the nation coefficient, but it's **** hard...

...which leads me to the query side:  Has anyone ever done a "develop the nation" type save?  The Latvian Optibet Virsliga was ranked 50 odd at the start of the game and is now ranked 14th in the World (peaked at 12th last season, dropped 2 places below the Greek and Swiss super leagues respectively).  My club has a 4-star rating (Continental) and is currently the 14th best side in Europe on coefficients - just above Inter and below Porto.  Is it actually possible to take a minnow nation higher than 6th in the league rankings (Portuguese league)?  I'm guessing it needs more than one club to be doing well in Europe.  I find myself rooting for the other Latvian clubs and even buying players age 18 purely to get them in my elite training B Team, then sell them to other Latvian clubs aged 22 or so... the hope being they're also good enough for the national team which a couple have been so far - one being my own defender called "Cristiano Ronaldo".  And that's how his name displays on the pitch; not "Ronaldo" but the full shabang.  However, the other teams are just so far off the pace.  It's quite amusing watching them slowly develop - we get £20m~ for TV rights each season and they're spending £1m on transfers, but have shit players on higher wages than some of my boys!

In short, minnow saves are pretty fun but how far can they actually go?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Going to pull this thread from the depths in a semi-blog, semi-question sort of way.

I'm now in the year 2039 of my Super Nova save - I'm utterly dominant domestically.  It's way, way too easy.  I've won the title 16 seasons in a row and currently on a 248 game unbeaten streak in the league (21st August 2032 to 2nd July 2039 :D - also had a 112 run winning streak from that August date).  Have also won the Latvian Cup 9 times in a row and 13 times in the last 12 seasons - I struggled in the first 4 seasons, no idea why.  Finances at a healthy £568m with a transfer budget of £225m and wage budget of £618k/wk.  I have State Of The Art training facilities but also Good youth facilities - for some reason, I can't seem to upgrade these with any regularity despite my board wanting me to "Develop players using the club's youth system" and currently being very disappointed with my progress towards this :D.

My team has been kitted out - generally - with some really promising young players; some of which I manage to keep hold of, some of which I end up taking a transfer fee for and they join Man Utd/PSG/Tottenham (for some reason, the players really love Spurs).  I managed to fluke winning the Champions League a couple of seasons back, but am basically a team that sits somewhere between the last 16 and QF stages "naturally".  Have been to the semi finals twice aside from the winning run, though.  I'm basically a pretty good side and ridiculously good in Latvian terms.  For the last 50 or so National Team games, I've also been the Latvian manager.  I figured being a better manager at that level would help boost the nation coefficient, but it's **** hard...

...which leads me to the query side:  Has anyone ever done a "develop the nation" type save?  The Latvian Optibet Virsliga was ranked 50 odd at the start of the game and is now ranked 14th in the World (peaked at 12th last season, dropped 2 places below the Greek and Swiss super leagues respectively).  My club has a 4-star rating (Continental) and is currently the 14th best side in Europe on coefficients - just above Inter and below Porto.  Is it actually possible to take a minnow nation higher than 6th in the league rankings (Portuguese league)?  I'm guessing it needs more than one club to be doing well in Europe.  I find myself rooting for the other Latvian clubs and even buying players age 18 purely to get them in my elite training B Team, then sell them to other Latvian clubs aged 22 or so... the hope being they're also good enough for the national team which a couple have been so far - one being my own defender called "Cristiano Ronaldo".  And that's how his name displays on the pitch; not "Ronaldo" but the full shabang.  However, the other teams are just so far off the pace.  It's quite amusing watching them slowly develop - we get £20m~ for TV rights each season and they're spending £1m on transfers, but have shit players on higher wages than some of my boys!

re the artificial raising of the League profiles.

I remember watching a video about this.

Basically, as you say, it cant just be done off your own back entirely, you can only get it so far, what you need to do is artificially raise the ability/financial muscle of your own competition in your league.

ie:

• every year, put aside X amount of money to buy players from your league rivals.
  • the more money the better.
  • dont buy their best players, but buy their fringe or not super important players, for good prices, not cheating prices, but as inflated as you can get in a non cheaty way.
  • keep pumping this money in to your rivals window after window, to give them the opportunity to then invest this money in better players, salaries etc etc.
  • Hope at least some of the manager AIs at some of the clubs arent total baddies, improve their squad, get further in European competitions etc, and this allows them to build, and improve your overall Leagues position in the world.

long term........profit?

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 2

On 20/06/2023 at 22:24, bobzy said:

I'm actually attempting a 'Build a Nation' type save at the moment with San Marino (FM22) on YouTube. I'm playing as Victor San Marino in the Italian divisions, so the Sammarinese league itself probably won't improve too much though unfortunately. I'm also managing the national team.

I'm 7 seasons in and I've got Victor San Marino to Serie A where we've finished 7-13 in our first 3 seasons. Some exciting stuff going on like a new stadium being built too which we could really do with to help break into the top 4/5.

In terms of the national team it's been a slow grind so far as you'd expect, until Victor can start developing the good players we need. We've only risen from around 209 to 194 in the world rankings so far. Been quite a lot of bad beatings and there's basically nothing I can do in most matches but it will make it all the sweeter if/when we eventually start getting results against these countries.

I'm probably going to need to play another 10-20 seasons to see the sort of progress I want though.

• Thanks 1

Just started a new save. I realised for the first time in years I was gutted because it meant Emery leaving. Normally I can't wait to clear out our managers and get started this time, it was tinged with sadness. Anyway thought I'd share. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VBM said:

Just started a new save. I realised for the first time in years I was gutted because it meant Emery leaving. Normally I can't wait to clear out our managers and get started this time, it was tinged with sadness. Anyway thought I'd share. 

#VBM OUT ! Bloke hasnt got a clue. 

Bring back Unai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3

I've got my Assistant Manager doing all the interviews and fluff in the game that I can't be arsed with.  Just had this pop up:

Assistant Manager Luciano de Freitas had been asked to attend the press conference
"It's been noted that you've signed a number of young players.  Is this a conscious effort on the part of the club to build for the future?"
De Freitas replied:
"If I had the money to sign the finished article we wouldn't be having the conversation"

Overall Balance currently at £754,715,318 with a transfer budget of £274,988,822 and a wage budget of £6m/wk (spending £382k/wk).  Aye, we're skint :D 

• Haha 1

My FM interest has come back lately so since I never bought 23, I've been bouncing between my saves on 19 and 22. I have a bit of a bottlejob problem in the Champions League.

FM19:
dzyMQ2l.png

FM22:
a64jxfW.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Â