Football Manager 2023

Villaphan04

just got the game. started a new villa save and straight away went about clearing some dead wood. got over 40m for sanson, nakamba (25m!!!) and guilbert

additional: just had my first 'live' draw for a cup...FA cup 3rd round. what a great idea, abysmally executed. literally had forest v derby and stoke v port vale and barely a mention of the rivalry. no reference to all PL ties when they come out. full of bugs too...even when all teams had been drawn you had the roy keane commentary saying "lets see what the next match is" coupled with the fact that you get identical live reaction tweets underneath. imagine this will be the first and last time i watch it. shame

Edited by tomav84

Got it at Xmas, won the league in my 3rd season with villa, qualified for champions league in 1st two seasons, tried getting the board to expand the stadium everytime they said no, now they are building a new stadium, only got 3  players left in Martinez,  Luiz and Ramsey left from the villa 1st team

Edited by rbcuk

Into my sixth season with Dresden. 

Promoted to 2. Bundesliga first season, two years in the second tier before automatic promotion to top division. First season up I scraped up by winning the relegation playoff and then finished midtable last season. Thought I only needed to add a few here and there to boost the squad but Villa and Everton poached my best players for a combined £47m so then it was all about buying loads of South American regens. Basically got a whole new team of 20 year olds. 

Edited by Milfner

forgot what a pain in the arse it is when you qualify for europe too early. villa have so few HGC players and now everyone hates me because i had to leave out like 4 first teamers

buying 17 year olds so that they become home grown at club really is a day 1 task isn't it

Six season: finished six, four points off Champions League. Just two points from my last four, bottled it. 

Almost got Europa League too, but Bremen beat Leipzig on penalties in the Pokdal so had to settle for the Conference league.

well this is a first. i answered a press conference question about my future, and apparently the board had asked me not to answer questions on the topic (obviously missed that) and they nearly sacked me for it!

On 02/01/2023 at 08:57, villa4europe said:

It works... Its somewhere half way between the ipad version and the xbox version which is how I've played it for the last 5 years, there's a new learning curve and getting used to it to do again

The problem is the touch screen is better than the fiddly controls but the touch screen is better on a bigger ipad

I'll pile hours in to it still so it's worth the £35 to me personally but at the moment I think the xbox and ipad versions are better

Assuming you've spent a bit more time on it now @villa4europe, have your thoughts changed at all?

24 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Assuming you've spent a bit more time on it now @villa4europe, have your thoughts changed at all?

Not really changed tbf

For me personally as per the TV thread I've smashed my way through about 30 hours of TV boxsets in the last week, probably 50% if not more was accompanied by me playing this, I will watch the villa and the nfl tonight while playing FM on the switch, so that box is a massive tick

The touch stuff is OK but overall the screen is too small, it's a better game than mobile which I found pointless, will probably put it on the TV at some point but that's not why I want the switch

I still think I enjoyed the ipad version more

The game itself isn't really grabbing me yet but that's more down to the save, started with villa and lasted 6 months, I don't like villa saves in general as within about 3 years I've replaced the whole squad and I never have anyone come through the youth set up so I set up an easy save to start, doing a psg save, scout like mad to find the gems (scalvini but he's expensive, the Swedish teenage winger, interestingly this moleiro that we're linked with he's 4 star for psg, a Brazilian striker who is roque something and then I've got endrick on the way) would play that until I get my head around the game and unlock some benefits to go back to Villa with... But the switch version doesn't have golden generation as an unlock so I've ballsed that up

I'll probably play until endrick joins and then do another save depending on how interesting the transfer window gets

There's no obvious save jumping out at me to be honest

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Out of interest, are you playing on a switch oled?

Yeah

Picked one up last week from argos, £320 with that Mario kart game with the actual track and splatoon, traded both games in, unfortunately cex must have cottoned on to it because before Xmas the trade value for those 2 was £98 and I got £50 and its now down to £36

Picked up Mario odyssey and citizen sleeper too but only been playing FM so far, zelda is surprisingly scarce at cex kiddy

• 2 weeks later...

got sacked 2nd season for doing too big an overhaul of the team which included some senior players leaving the team fairly pissed off so started again, aiming to learn from my mistakes

22/23 - 4th

23/24 - 10th, won carabao cup, CL quarter final

24/25 - 3rd, carabao cup runners up, won europa conference league

• Like 1

Downloaded a patch so I could play using teams lower than conf north/south, and have guided Tamworth to league 2. As soon as I get there the majority of my first IX have been targeted by championship clubs. Had to sell so many as they want to leave and confront me if I turn the offers down.

Not looking forward to the season. I have no (decent) midfield, and the board won't give me the cash to replace them. Feels like the game wants to pull the rug from under me. Worst thing is I turned the Blackburn job down so I could have a crack with Tamworth.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

On ps5 1st feb

Is that the full beans, or a watered down console version? That just so happens to coincide with a certain person's birthday....ahem, so if it's any good I might get it on PS5 rather than PC, where my time is a bit more limited.

Ooh also, I always mod to get real life teams/badges, any idea if we can do that on PS5, or if (like most PS5 games) it's a closed shop?

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Is that the full beans, or a watered down console version? That just so happens to coincide with a certain person's birthday....ahem, so if it's any good I might get it on PS5 rather than PC, where my time is a bit more limited.

Ooh also, I always mod to get real life teams/badges, any idea if we can do that on PS5, or if (like most PS5 games) it's a closed shop?

It's the Console version, same as on Xbox, which is somewhere in between the PC version and the Touch version. It can have up to 10 loaded nations, and up to 50k players. It doesn't have any sort of editor, though.

• Thanks 2

I'm currently Newcastle, came 2nd in the league last year and building a nice young squad that will age into some big potential. Calvin Ramsey, my right back who I bought last year as a reserve, with a view to stepping up as a first teamer this year pulled a Grealish. Two days to go in the transfer window a bid comes in from a team well below me in the league, and when I reject the bid, Ramsey goes ape s**t. Demands to be put on the transfer list. I try to tell him he's in my plans and we're in the Champions League, but he gets hurt that I'm trying to influence his career. 

Football Manager is the most amazing spreadsheet ever created.

Incidentally, I ended up rejecting the bid, put him in the u18's until I sold him intentionally cheaply to a Romanian team. Haha Calvin. Respect my authoritar. Hope you enjoy playing FC Arges Pitesti, b**ch.

• Haha 1

Haha me too but I wasn't brave enough to admit it! Wanted to see what the game did with them, would say nothing crazy on mine, I spread payments and chuck bonuses in to my transfers which means I'm always pulling spend forward but I'd say my biggest summer budget has been maybe £120m, nothing insane

I'm in year 2, finished 4th year one, 3rd year 2 but won the league Cup and the CL! Lost the first semi final away yo Madrid 2-0 but won the home game 7-0, isak got 45 goals in the season including breaking the PL scoring record but to my annoyance FM doesn't recognise sky inventing football and takes dixie deans 60 goals

Signed scalvini, Inacio, another Portuguese CB called silva, Taylor from ajax in CM, did have koopmeiners but lost him after a year, olmo, gvardiol, netz, then spent a lot on wingers abada, bynoe gotten, Vitor roque, angelo, also picked up a few decent free transfers such as Aarons at RB and a keeper called altay, picked up Rafa leao for £0 for season 3

Main signing was Giroud for about £4m, what a signing, when they patch the jan signings in and I eventually go back to villa he'll be target number 1

Surprisingly still can't get a fair few youngsters to want to come to Newcastle

• 1 month later...

Fairly recently started a game as Super Nova in the Latvian league (why not?  What a name, too!).  After 4 seasons, I've managed to qualify for the "new format" Champions League, where I'm about to be absolutely hammered by everyone.

Anyway, first game in this for Super Nova?  A home game against none other than Aston Villa :D  I lost 4-0, the opener was scored by Ben Brereton-Dias.

So there you go, a glimpse into Villa's near future.  A Champions League side with Brereton-Dias leading the line :D 

• Haha 1

Â