January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

My theory is that the club tried to stop paying out such high salaries as we’ve done to new signings the last two windows. If we offered ”normal” wages and less sign-on fees etcetera, perhaps it was more difficult.

I don’t think we are in the position to win that with players we want given we don’t have European football to offer and other clubs do and will offer more.  We have to be strategic, if you get the chance to get a Kamara type player we have to bite the bullet and pay if we want to advance, otherwise until we can offer regular European football we’ll always be a mid table team and then we’ll start losing the stars we do have like Kamara.  Harder to play hard ball when your offerings are less that are non-financial.

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If we get a top striker in the summer then nothing else matters. 

If we could have got our main target this window do you really think we've decided not to?

Well the rest of this season matters for one, and if we couldn't get our main target this window, then should we not have kept Ings  until the summer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To be fair we don’t know who our targets are do we so you can’t say that.  Our only real link has been Guendouzi and by all accounts he was happy to come.  Every other link really has been brief and not by any reputable journo or close to reputable.  We have no clue who our targets are or what competition or leagues they are in.

Out of interest  Would you have been happy if we signed Guendouzi? 

Just now, smokingzen said:

Well the rest of this season matters for one, and if we couldn't get our main target this window, then should we not have kept Ings  until the summer.

Good point…letting Ings go just looks plain dumb now.  

Lovely fee in the bank and less wages so sod the actual football playing side of it, not as if the football matters.

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If we get a top striker…villa fans are always the never never…every time it’s next season or next transfer window.  The summer is going to be incredibly hard to get a top striker.  Fans keep saying in the summer but I don’t think it’s going to be as easy as people think as there are so many clubs looking like they need a striker in the summer.  I agree that scenario is the same here in January, but I think fans are thinking the summer is going to be much easy are living in fantasy land.

As for main target now?  I don’t know, Guendouzi deal seemed to be there and Marseille didn’t say no, they didn’t say he’s not for sale, they didn’t say we had bid enough….they said we hadn’t even contacted them…it was our only serious link for weeks.  Villa are very secret of course but it’s been extremely quiet for weeks now since Duran, just a lot of none reputable journo apparent links but nothing else.  So do I think we decided not? I would assume not but I would question whether we have been aggressive in the market.

So what would you prefer?

Buy 2nd choice now or try again for first choice in the summer?

35 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

It was quite obvious the club wanted Guendouzi (club wouldn’t let him go from reports) and Williams (didn’t want to move, at least in this window).

We can go back for both and hopefully have the deals done in the summer, with a new CB and Stiker.

Our best football is still ahead of us.

Our best football is always ahead of us, that's the problem.

Fact is, if your not spending, your not achieving f*** all.

3 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

I agree to some extent. But then I also think it made financial sense to move on a very expensive back up. 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Lovely fee in the bank and less wages so sod the actual football playing side of it, not as if the football matters.

You're acting like there's no way we can compete without Danny Ings. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Fans need to calm down. Too often we have squandered millions on our 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice targets.

Let's get the real targets in the summer and move this great club forward.

This is where I am at. I think we will finish around tenth. We have had a bloated underperforming squad for a long time. We have cleared the decks, and of all those to leave only Ings contributed significantly.

I am fairly confident that with a clearer squad, our owners financial clout and our improved FFP situation, that we can target some real top quality players in the summer.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Our best football is always ahead of us, that's the problem.

Fact is, if your not spending, your not achieving f*** all.

We've probably spent more this January than most January windows combined over the last few years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

A very sensible and well thought out post. There hasn't been one player within our budget that have gone elsewhere that I would have really wanted. I'm afraid there are guys on here that want everything now no matter what the cost. Well fortunately our people do not subscribe to that view which is why we will end up a very successful club

well put chelsea new owners showingoff potter having playesrs land through his door not sure  he wants them all  rather our owners any day

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

There lies the problem. We spend a lot of money in either transfer fee, wages or both to get a player that’s ok and nearly what we’re after. That effectively makes it more difficult or impossible to sign our first choice in the summer. We need to hold our nerve. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

This is just crazy. What do you mean a travesty? 

Long term why would it impact us that much? 

No one thought about Europe when Gerrard was sacked, now it could be a travesty to not qualify if we get a couple of injuries. 

It's madness. People are acting like football ends again. 

Travesty is a bit strong but it's quite reasonable to suggest it would be a disappointment and an annoyance.  Getting top 6 would increase our income, raise our profile, give us European football,  and would help us sign better players this summer rather than further down the line.  That's the longer term impact, since you can't seem to see it.  It is achievable with Liverpool and Chelsea misfiring, Spurs inconsistent, and Fulham, Brentford and even Brighton below us in recent form tables - baffling why some people are saying we have no chance.  There is clearly an opportunity there to be grasped, but we seem reluctant to go for it.  that's the frustration for me.  Gerrard's rubbish tenure is irrelevant, Emery has changed the landscape and raised/restored the expectations.  

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Out of interest  Would you have been happy if we signed Guendouzi? 

I said my piece about Guendouzi early in the window but I have always said if Emery wants him then I bow to him and thus yes bring him in.  My concern is the attacking side of the team, we’ve weakened it.  Emery wanted a forward winger (he said Duran wasn’t it) and we’ve all been saying that for ages, yet not only haven’t we done that but we’ve also sold our goalscoring striker so we only have one senior experienced striker, in a market where strikers are hard to come by.  I don’t care about names, it’s about the position, style and want they offer the team.  So I’m more concerned we haven’t brought in Guendouzi and another forward/winger.  I can almost forgive one but both and selling Ings feels not good.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

Or we just do what the multi European Trophy winning elite Manager thought was the best thing to do?

I know he's our top scorer, but how often did he actually play?

How do you know that he doesn't think Duran could possibly add something which Ings could not, as a backup? Which could lead to the team scoring more goals overall?

For one, he'll definitely have more physicality and athleticism than Danny, who's also injured as we type.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It’s not the right question because you are assuming we can get first choice in the summer which is no guarantee.  You’re also assuming we have or haven’t pushed the extra mile for first choice now.  You’re also assuming we have a first choice and not a choice of two or three we are in the bracket of first choice.  

If I said to you we can’t get first choice in the summer either would you settle for second choice now?

You would probably be like me, trying to weigh up all the factors like, is he better than what we have? Can we get on a short term deal or even a loan? What fee and wages? So I think you question is wrong because that isn’t the choice we have and we don’t have all the details.

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Is this the same Danny ings who was very keen to join West Ham so Emery agreed to let him leave ? Isn’t it better to have players who want to be here and fight for the shirt rather than jump first opportunity? He came, he scored a few goals, he left 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've probably spent more this January than most January windows combined over the last few years. 

Why sell Ings if we didn't have anyone lined up? Don't fancy depending on Watkins for the rest of the season. Guess we are happy with a midtable finish.......again.

• Like 1