January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

No

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Bedwetters? Why be offensive?

I’m no bedwetter, I’m just eager to take this opportunity we have given our league position of 3 points off Europe.  Do I think our current squad is good enough to get European place? No but a couple of additions could make a difference.

Deals sometimes do go to the wire, you are right.  Many more deals on deadline day are desperation deals which we don’t want.  

No offence intended Nick. I just think that there is no point criticising the club or worrying about situations that can quite easily change between now and the window closing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We attracted exactly the players you've stated whilst not having European football.  Both are on long term deals.  If anyone wants to court them, they'll be paying a vast amount - and that's a good thing for us!

Hmmmm… their stock has increased since we got them.  Yes anybody would be paying vasts amounts for them but we aren’t great in reinvesting are we.  Additional to that, how many years have we be craving for a DM and we get one and then we lose them…I’d rather keep him than sell him.

• Like 1

For the record, I'm calm AF. We'll do some business before the window closes. And we definitely need to try and qualify for Europe this season if possible. Keeping the likes of Kamara depends on it.

That said, we're ahead of schedule in Emery's rebuilding - in terms of results if not personnel - so if we don't make it this season, complete the rebuild in the summer and, as Paddy Losty would say,  go at it awful and very hard. 

19 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Tell me, what are your expectations for the rest of the season. 

Given current form,squad quality and league position I expect us to be challenging for top 8. If we don't sign anyone then we are relying on our first 11 starting injury free. If we do sign some more players then it gives us a better chance in the event of injuries. 

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

No

No offence intended Nick. I just think that there is no point criticising the club or worrying about situations that can quite easily change between now and the window closing. 

I haven’t criticised the club.  I’m not even worried, I’m eager that we take this opportunity. If we don’t buy anybody then so be it but I want us to take this opportunity and I hope we do over the coming days.  The only reason we are discussing this today is because there is no new real speculation to argue about 😂

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

1) I never said overpay, to be honest I don’t even know what overpay means in the modern football market.  For example if we are only willing to pay £35m for Guendouzi but Marseille want £40m, is then caving now overpaying?  I agree if it was £60m but what is overpaying.

2) I also agree that players coming might not be great straight away but that’s fine by me if they are, they will be by the start of next season whereas waiting for them until the summer, then buying them, then they need time to settle.

3) we have a better chance of europe next season? Maybe true but Chelsea and Liverpool aren’t going to be as poor as this season, I’m guessing Spurs won’t, Arsenal are just getting stronger and City are just a machine. Newcastle will likely invest heavily.  Yes we will be starting better because of Emery but the European teams ie the big six and Newcastle are going to be much stronger.  I don’t think it’s a given we have a better shot next season because we maybe better but our rivals certainly will be better.

4) I never said “this isn’t good enough, we need more now”, I think we’ve done fabulous to get back in the mix but we have weaknesses and this isn’t Emery’s team.  A few quality additions could sneak us in European places give how poor Liverpool and Chelsea are.  It’s an opportunity, however small.

So I don’t think it’s impatience, it’s seeing the opportunity and eager to try.

They're all ahead of us in the league despite these poor seasons.  Newcastle are already in the mix for CL football.

It's not like we're ahead of these sides and need to kick on to stay ahead of them, we're already playing catch up.  At the start of next season, we're all level on points.

Just now, nick76 said:

I haven’t criticised the club.  I’m not even worried, I’m eager that we take this opportunity. If we don’t buy anybody then so be it but I want us to take this opportunity and I hope we do over the coming days.  The only reason we are discussing this today is because there is no new real speculation to argue about 😂

I was speaking generally... Its not all about you Nick 😉

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They're all ahead of us in the league despite these poor seasons.  Newcastle are already in the mix for CL football.

It's not like we're ahead of these sides and need to kick on to stay ahead of them, we're already playing catch up.  At the start of next season, we're all level on points.

I think you missed my point. Oh well, let’s just hope we have a great end of season whatever happens in the next week.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There seems to be a similar attitude sneaking in that appeared during Deano's 2nd season. Where some are acting like football will end in a few years and we have to finish in European places right now. 

I'd like some signings but we're not Everton right now. There's no desperation. 

I think one of the fears might be that players like Kamara might get tempted and poached if we don't start finishing in Europe asap.

However, I don't think actual footballers always think like us. The likes of Emi 1 and Kamara very well may believe in the overall " project " and like the general direction we are heading in, so have patience.

Either way I trust the club, we are on the right track. I'm happier than I've been for a while, the only slight gripe is the hindsight of wasted first quarter of the season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Given current form,squad quality and league position I expect us to be challenging for top 8. If we don't sign anyone then we are relying on our first 11 starting injury free. If we do sign some more players then it gives us a better chance in the event of injuries. 

Emery is brilliant but he can only work with the tools at his disposal, and this squad hasn't scored nearly enough league goals for top 8. We're one injury away from an unproven 19 year old being our main and only strike force. 

I'm actually OK with that, but if you have an expectation of results, we need to strengthen. That's not bedwetting, or whatever uncalled for verb you choose to use, it's pragmatism. 

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

But we also don't want to spunk our budget on suboptimal players to try to get into Europa League. I'd rather be smart and build a Champions League team.

Hard to build a Champions League team without first getting into the Europa League.  Even harder if you don't finish in the top half of the table.

31 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Other than Chelsea, we've signed the same amount or more players than these teams so far this window. Just adding for perspective. 

adding to that bournemouth have just been taken over by rich owners. they were always going to try and spend their way out of trouble

22 minutes ago, Folski said:

Ok but historically who have we actually bought in January that's done well.

Digne - £25m clearly now 2nd choice left back just 12 months later, likely on a big contract and few potential suitors.

Chambers - Free also told he can go by the looks of things. (Coutiho loan)

Sanson - £14m just gone on loan has had no real impact.

Samatta - £8.5m managed a total of 14 games for us

Baston - Free waste of time

Drinkwater loan

Kalinic - total disaster

Guilbert - I liked him but managers didn't

N/A

Bjarnason, Bree, Hourihan, Taylor, Hogan - mostly flops Conor did well. (You forgot Lansbury and Jacob Bedeau)

Cole & Senderon

Gil & Sinclair  

Thank you. Having read the last few pages, I was going to do a similar list. I've added a few in bold too.

This is a list of wasted transfer fee's and wages, many of whom got people quite excited at the time. And this is why we're in the position we are now, and not challenging. There's gotta be £100m of fees there, plus more than that in salaries and paying up contracts.

We now have a proper manager in place, who is at the peak of his powers. I trust him.

Over recent years we've had Gerrard (useless), Smith (loved him but out of his depth), Bruce, Di Matteo, Garde, Sherwood (well), Lambert (we were broke, and broke him), McLeish (FFS); Houllier (past his prime but had a plan and too little time) and O'Neill (did well but was becoming a dinosaur before our eyes). That's since 2006. 
Maybe, just maybe, it's time to run the club properly for the first time in about 2 decades. 

• Like 1