January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

3 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Guendouzi/CF type player/wide pacey dribbler

If we can get those three in, then I think that's the window. Desperately need someone other than Bailey that can take on a man. Crux of a lot of our final third problems if we're not in transition.

It would be nice to have an outlet who can progress the ball up with pitch.

It would be nice, not 100% needed in this window. I am far more bothered about getting players out the door that don't have a part to play in 2023/2024 so we can go hard in the summer.

Insert Kenneth Image.

Edited by paul514

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Agreed. He is one of our better players. Madness to think of getting rid of him.

Fine, let's go...

That's just not true. He's the worst player in our first XI, followed by Bailey. This is the case most weeks. 

Both are going to probably be replaced this window, or at the very least, both will have serious competition for a place in the side. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

That's just not true. He's the worst player in our first XI, followed by Bailey. This is the case most weeks. 

Both are going to probably be replaced this window, or at the very least, both will have serious competition for a place in the side. 

I still maintain both are good players.

• Like 1

Just now, paul514 said:

That's fine. I can understand why you'd think that. I think we can both agree though that in order to get better, we need to bring in players that either replace them or push them to be more consistent? 

I still have hope for Bailey - albeit it's fading. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Really? Why?
We haven't lost a first team player yet and McGinn will be back soon who can play a number of positions. We also have Carlos returning. 

We're also out of all cup competitions. 

This fascination with having a big squad is lost on me. I'd honestly rather focus on having a core group of say 13/14 good players and the rest made up with talented youngsters like Duran. We're not at the point where we can afford to have players earning 125k+ a week sitting on our bench - we have two of those still. 

If we had the injury crisis that chelsea had then it would look very different.  Lets say that saints goal stood we had rarely anything on the bench to change the game going forward for us.

What happened if ollie got injured or bailey? We literally had zero options

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

For 18 remaining games that's plenty big squad to cover that.

The lack of quality and consistency between them all is a concern. If Kamara gets injured the drop off will be noticeable. If Europe wasn’t a possibility I would agree but as we actually have a chance…

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I think they will improve with proper coaching. Both have chipped in with important goals so far under Emery. I think if they improve a little with consistency and some of sloppy decision making they'll be valuable members of the squad next season. 

• Like 3

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

The lack of quality and consistency between them all is a concern. If Kamara gets injured the drop off will be noticeable. If Europe wasn’t a possibility I would agree but as we actually have a chance…

There's nothing we can do about that though. Kamara is probably the best player at the club. If we lose him of course we will suffer. We can't get a Kamara level player in as cover for Kamara. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That's fine. I can understand why you'd think that. I think we can both agree though that in order to get better, we need to bring in players that either replace them or push them to be more consistent? 

I still have hope for Bailey - albeit it's fading. 

We can definitely agree on that 

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

There's nothing we can do about that though. Kamara is probably the best player at the club. If we lose him of course we will suffer. We can't get a Kamara level player in as cover for Kamara. 

It is a toss up between Emi and Kamara the others aren't close

• Like 1

I don't think Bailey's place in the side is under much threat. For me, if we replace any of the forwards in the starting line-up it must be Buendia as he contributes the least to the team. Bailey had a torrid first season for various reasons but now seems to be growing in confidence and will get better IMO. But, Buendia is having his third season of PL football and I am underwhelmed by his performances. I think it's his place in the team that's up for grabs. 

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

How I see us lining up is.

Martinez

Young Carlos Mings Moreno

Guendouzi Kamara Luiz Ramsey

Bailey Watkins

This formation can easily switch to a 5-3-2 or a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 without any change in of players. Cash I can see being interchangeable with Young. If we want more energy and an outlet, say if Moreno is out and we play Digne, then Cash coming in means we have dynamism of the right instead to make up for the loss on the left.

Bailey and Watkins I expect to have serious competition by the end of the window, but Bailey's competition will be a younger player (under 23). Watkins will be looked to be improved on. If we can't find an instant improvement there we my look at the loan market.

Buendia will compete with Ramsey and Guendouzi, and Coutinho will offer us a creative option off the bench. McGinn and Dendonker will provide competition for places in midfield. Irebogum will provide competition for Luiz next season I expect.

This

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don't think Bailey's place in the side is under much threat. For me, if we replace any of the forwards in the starting line-up it must be Buendia as he contributes the least to the team. Bailey had a torrid first season for various reasons but now seems to be growing in confidence and will get better IMO. But, Buendia is having his third season of PL football and I am underwhelmed by his performances. I think it's his place in the team that's up for grabs. 

If they don't improve, we should be buying upgrades for Bailey and Buendia and starting both from the bench. 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we had the injury crisis that chelsea had then it would look very different.  Lets say that saints goal stood we had rarely anything on the bench to change the game going forward for us.

What happened if ollie got injured or bailey? We literally had zero options

It’s more than fair. If there’s one area of the team that needs strengthening and “expanding” right now, it is our attack. You’re right, we don’t have anything on the bench to change a game. Coutinho is ineffective and overpaid too, happy for him to leave. I’d rather have young, energetic attackers to bring on and scare the opposition.

Many won’t agree, but I’d even like Berty (ooh those silky skills) available for us now as an option from the bench or to replace Bailey when he’s out of sorts.

I’d much rather take new and better signings though and firmly believe that is what we are going to do with just over a week left of the window… transfer activity often doesn’t heat up until the close of window nears anyway…

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I am now resigned to never signing him, he will be expensive and no more DM's for a long time unless we sell Dendonker 💔

On board with this idea, weird signing. We can do a LOT better.

Marv out first though, so maybe that’s a summer move…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

It’s more than fair. If there’s one area of the team that needs strengthening and “expanding” right now, it is our attack. You’re right, we don’t have anything on the bench to change a game. Coutinho is ineffective and overpaid too, happy for him to leave. I’d rather have young, energetic attackers to bring on and scare the opposition.

Many won’t agree, but I’d even like Berty (ooh those silky skills) available for us now as an option from the bench or to replace Bailey when he’s out of sorts.

I’d much rather take new and better signings though and firmly believe that is what we are going to do with just over a week left of the window… transfer activity often doesn’t heat up until the close of window nears anyway…

Traore shouldn't have been on loan in the first place, stupid Gerrard.

I am unsure as to how he will get on under Emery though, he isn't exactly a hard worker.