January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

37 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

If we let Sanson (gone already according so reports) and Marv go we are leaving ourselves very light in midfield. An injury to Bouba or Luiz and we are looking pretty poor. 

Same goes for up front  letting Ings go and only brining in the kid from the US looks a serious gamble! 

I’m going to assume Unai has something up his sleeve for both these issues. 

With Sanson here or not an injury to Doug or Kamara  (more so Kamara) we’d be looking pretty poor.

10 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think it's just a language thing, I think signing players that already know each other, have played with each other, and are of a similar age and likely to get on well, maybe spend time together off the pitch, can be a strategy as well, as helps them not only to settle into the club, but also can help on the pitch.

I don’t doubt it’s a consideration, but would Wesley and Luiz, the two Emi’s or Kamara and Digne have played together at all (let alone to develop any sort of understanding/relationship) before we bought them? 

11 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I’m assuming we’ll be in for a busy week if Sanson, Guilbert, Bednarek being recalled and Nakamba maybe leaving 

Scenes when we sign Maitland-Niles as he can play those positions.

image.gif.2cd8f1e96f7976dff7079f8ba00c82c3.gif

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I was talking to a fellow Villa supporter this morning and we were debating… 

Finding ourselves 3 points (or even 5 points if you assume Brighton win their game in hand) from 6th place, with the form we’re currently in, going on the basis that Liverpool, Chelsea and possibly Spurs even are not going to be as poor next season, do we risk bringing in a couple of summer targets in this window, even if it means overpaying?

I’m not talking about paying double or anything like that, but the opportunity for European football is there. I had written off this season, but the way that other teams have been playing and our upturn in form has opened the door imo. Would an extra £5m or so to get deals done now be worth it to try and sneak into Europe?

• Like 1

How I see us lining up is.

Martinez

Young Carlos Mings Moreno

Guendouzi Kamara Luiz Ramsey

Bailey Watkins

This formation can easily switch to a 5-3-2 or a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 without any change in of players. Cash I can see being interchangeable with Young. If we want more energy and an outlet, say if Moreno is out and we play Digne, then Cash coming in means we have dynamism of the right instead to make up for the loss on the left.

Bailey and Watkins I expect to have serious competition by the end of the window, but Bailey's competition will be a younger player (under 23). Watkins will be looked to be improved on. If we can't find an instant improvement there we my look at the loan market.

Buendia will compete with Ramsey and Guendouzi, and Coutinho will offer us a creative option off the bench. McGinn and Dendonker will provide competition for places in midfield. Irebogum will provide competition for Luiz next season I expect.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Martinez

Bailey Watkins

This formation can easily switch to a 5-3-2 or a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 without any change in of players. Cash I can see being interchangeable with Young. If we want more energy and an outlet, say if Moreno is out and we play Digne, then Cash coming in means we have dynamism of the right instead to make up for the loss on the left.

Bailey and Watkins I expect to have serious competition by the end of the window, but Bailey's competition will be a younger player (under 23). Watkins will be looked to be improved on. If we can't find an instant improvement there we my look at the loan market.

Buendia will compete with Ramsey and Guendouzi, and Coutinho will offer us a creative option off the bench. McGinn and Dendonker will provide competition for places in midfield. Irebogum will provide competition for Luiz next season I expect.

What flavour bubblegum is this?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I was talking to a fellow Villa supporter this morning and we were debating… 

Finding ourselves 3 points (or even 5 points if you assume Brighton win their game in hand) from 6th place, with the form we’re currently in, going on the basis that Liverpool, Chelsea and possibly Spurs even are not going to be as poor next season, do we risk bringing in a couple of summer targets in this window, even if it means overpaying?

I’m not talking about paying double or anything like that, but the opportunity for European football is there. I had written off this season, but the way that other teams have been playing and our upturn in form has opened the door imo. Would an extra £5m or so to get deals done now be worth it to try and sneak into Europe?

I would say no to that idea. Too much change can be disruptive. I think 3 more players is the max we need right now. Only 2 to be instant first choice. And I believe that would be our plan right now. However one of those first choices would be a striker to play ahead of Watkins, and if the quality is not available then a loan to give us depth would be the last resort.

Teams don't want to lose their best players mid season so a little more money may not more a club.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I think they want silly money for him don't they? I've heard good things though. 

I’m sure Newcastle nearly signed him for £20-£25m a season or two ago. ? I think he’s a good player and would be an excellent option to have.

42 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Martinez

Bailey Watkins

Ramsey isn’t as a fantastic a player as people make him out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1