January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I'm not against cashing in on Ings, but the Jan window should mean we demand a premium, but only if we have someone who can step up and replace them. I trust Unai knows exactly what he needs. So it could be an interesting week or so ahead.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, allani said:

As I said we are 6 points off 6th place.  The money earned from any kind of European involvement far outweighs the money we would "lose" on Ings.  Unless we have a player lined up who can lead the line for 19 matches if Watkins gets injured tomorrow it would be a massive risk to sell Ings.  Even if we miss out of Europe, every league position is worth a decent chunk of money.  The difference between finishing 9th and 16th is huge - and that is before you even take into consideration the fact that it is much easier to "sell" the club to better players in the summer if we just miss out on Europe rather than avoid getting sucked into the relegation battle.  Selling Ings now would be just as bad a financial decision as it would be a bad footballing decision.  UNLESS the money helps to find an upgrade.

I agree with you. Only sell now if we have a replacement/upgrade pretty much ready to sign. It would be stupid to leave ourselves short, we don’t score enough goals or finish enough chances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I'm not against cashing in on Ings, but the Jan window should mean we demand a premium, but only if we have someone who can step up and replace them. I trust Unai knows exactly what he needs. So it could be an interesting week or so ahead.

Yep, now is the time to maximise the fee we can get for him. His value only decreases after this window and certain clubs could do a deal or overpay out of desperation. Can we take advantage?

But, again, only sell if we have someone lined up. Mad to sell and end up with just  Watkins and Duran…

• Like 1

This many not even happen… but… maybe we sell Ings now. Bring someone good in (who?), then maybe Watkins’ spot is in danger and he may be moved on in the summer… and the attack is further “freshened up”…

All hypothetical of course…

Emery will want players that “fit” and are better than what we have… it’s the only way we improve and progress… needs complete backing.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I reckon any deal should have a survival clause, we pick up an extra, say, 5 million if they stay up.

That of course would leave the simple choice of wanting West Ham relegated or Villa banking an extra 5 mil.

Good shout. If you want him, it’s going to cost you…

Just now, Jas10 said:

This many not even happen… but… maybe we sell Ings now. Bring someone good in (who?), then maybe Watkins’ spot is in danger and he may be moved on in the summer… and the attack is further “freshened up”…

All hypothetical of course…

Emery will want players that “fit” and are better than what we have… it’s the only way we improve and progress… needs complete backing.

I’d be very surprised if Emery wanted to let Watkins go. I think he’s a managers dream even if he isn’t prolific. I actually think the key at the moment is to provide Watkins with more quality and goal scorers around him. The way Firmino had Salah and Mane around him at Liverpool. 

• Like 1

If we sell Ings in next 7 days then I'd say Duvan Zapata could be a decent short term option.

Atalanta happy to loan him out, same nationality as Duran and he last failed to hit double figures in Serie A in 15/16 so a very good scoring record generally.

January is a very tricky market for strikers tbh, loan deal is usually a smart move.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d be very surprised if Emery wanted to let Watkins go. I think he’s a managers dream even if he isn’t prolific. I actually think the key at the moment is to provide Watkins with more quality and goal scorers around him. The way Firmino had Salah and Mane around him at Liverpool. 

Where do you think he’d fit in the team, as a starter? I don’t think he’d be happy as a reserve and probably demand to leave if/when that became the case.

He does bring a lot in terms of work ethic, energy, pressing and so on…

He’s not the most technically gifted nor is he all that creative and… he’s not a prolific goal scorer… but he could improve under Emery too…

Atm, he is neither a top class winger nor a clinical/ruthless CF…

I’ve been a fan of Ollie’s ever since he arrived but… maybe we have to be a bit ruthless and improve on our players as much as possible… can be easy to be too sentimental…

Better players will bring more success… but also, surround our better players with more quality and they could improve too… 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Where do you think he’d fit in the team, as a starter? I don’t think he’d be happy as a reserve and probably demand to leave if/when that became the case.

He does bring a lot in terms of work ethic, energy, pressing and so on…

He’s not the most technically gifted nor is he all that creative and… he’s not a prolific goal scorer… but he could improve under Emery too…

Atm, he is neither a top class winger nor a clinical/ruthless CF…

I’ve been a fan of Ollie’s ever since he arrived but… maybe we have to be a bit ruthless and improve on our players as much as possible… can be easy to be too sentimental…

Better players will bring more success… but also, surround our better players with more quality and they could improve too… 🤔

Yes, all good points. Watkins can frustrate the hell out of me, but I just don’t see him as being a problem. He’s not on massive wages - 50/70k and I think he’s a great option if not a starter. If he demands a move then yeh, you have a problem.

For me, Bailey, Buendia and Cash are the next three to be replaced in the XI. 

• Like 1

Hasn’t been a great move for Danny either or his career… would imagine he’s very much open to leaving especially if he can get more game time elsewhere…

Would have expected to have kicked on after leaving Soton and fulfilling some of his ambitions but… that has not been the case at all.

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Hasn’t been a great move for Danny either or his career… would imagine he’s very much open to leaving especially if he can get more game time elsewhere…

Would have expected to have kicked on after leaving Soton and fulfilling some of his ambitions but… that has not been the case at all.

Disagree with this tbh. It’s been a f***** excellent move for him. He was never good enough for top team and he’d have known that. To get the contract he did off us was all his Xmas’s come at once. It’s his retirement contract that means kids kids won’t ever have to work. 

Ings came here for the money. Without question. He’s done well out of us.