January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I know, you have to take reports with a pinch of Salt....but any player with genuine interest from us, who claims to be waiting for bigger clubs, needs to be dumped.

Character, is crucial, and only players with a firm interest in joining our project, should be considered.

we don't want mercenaries.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Not sure on Deulofeu as while he is certainly talented, injury and age are issues for me. BTW he prefers to play on the left, rather than right. I could see go without a recognised striker with Deulofeu left and Bailey right, with JJ running from deep in the middle, as a shadow striker. That could be extremely  effective.

The issue for me, with any new signing is......no more lightweights.

We need effective players.... who can stay on the ball, cause disruption, and carry the fight.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know, you have to take reports with a pinch of Salt....but any player with genuine interest from us, who claims to be waiting for bigger clubs, needs to be dumped.

Character, is crucial, and only players with a firm interest in joining our project, should be considered.

we don't want mercenaries.

Agreed about mercenaries, but also don’t mind waiting for Man City / Real Madrid to decide to pass on a player before we sign them.  If we are the highest placed team that is keeping an eye on a player, is that player really going to take us forward ???

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

The concern with Deleufou is his injury record. No doubting his ability.

We have many players with undoubted ability, its only part of the equation.

players coming in with ability alone, and not much else, are just the same as we already have.....we need heart, fight and the "eye of the tiger" to accompany that ability.

We could clearly see it in some of the Leeds players.....we need a bit of that, to go with our other attributes.

10 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Agreed about mercenaries, but also don’t mind waiting for Man City / Real Madrid to decide to pass on a player before we sign them.  If we are the highest placed team that is keeping an eye on a player, is that player really going to take us forward ???

If you look at the player profile at Brentford, Brighton, Fulham and Newcastle, I would say quite possible.

If you are looking at technical ability and not much else, I suggest you are looking at only half the picture.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

To be honest od have rathered a youbg prospect like jackson than delo as i feel this ! Short term solution

It’s about different profiles of player, one could argue Nicolas Jackson is similar to Jhon Duran. But Deulofeu is totally different.

I get the vibe, That UE knows exactly what we want.

When he mentions different profiles, I think he has identified too many of our players have samey attributes/ingredients/minerals.....That does not make them bad, but it makes the team harder to function and cover all eventualities.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s about different profiles of player, one could argue Nicolas Jackson is similar to Jhon Duran. But Deulofeu is totally different.

Probably because Jacksons worked with emery makes it abit more exciting and that villareal are a much more successful club in  a tougher league than Chicago fire

Found an Everton page making an evaluation of Deolefeu after he left them. Sounds like he could fit right into our squad tbf 🥲

"Sure, he does step overs, gets off SOME crosses (though many are repelled), and it looks really cool when he accelerates after standing straight up, BUT THAT’S IT!

The team wins more when he isn’t on the field, and when you consider his attitude and body language, it’s a wonder he’s progessed this far.

His tendency to stop the ball when he receives it also disrupts the timing of the attack and brings the team to a crawl, and when he loses it he doesn’t track back!

His exasperation at poor passes, tendency to linger on the ground, and overall lack of interest in defending inhibit his growth as a player. Everton is not a team that is built to carry luxury players."

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2017/2/6/14498316/just-how-good-was-gerard-deulofeu-everton-statistical-analysis-koeman-loan-ac-milan

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Probably because Jacksons worked with emery makes it abit more exciting and that villareal are a much more successful club in  a tougher league than Chicago fire

If Emery thought he was good enough he would bring him here. The fee is reported is similar to Jhon Duran that tells you all you need to know.

15 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Found an Everton page making an evaluation of Deolefeu after he left them. Sounds like he could fit right into our squad tbf 🥲

"Sure, he does step overs, gets off SOME crosses (though many are repelled), and it looks really cool when he accelerates after standing straight up, BUT THAT’S IT!

The team wins more when he isn’t on the field, and when you consider his attitude and body language, it’s a wonder he’s progessed this far.

His tendency to stop the ball when he receives it also disrupts the timing of the attack and brings the team to a crawl, and when he loses it he doesn’t track back!

His exasperation at poor passes, tendency to linger on the ground, and overall lack of interest in defending inhibit his growth as a player. Everton is not a team that is built to carry luxury players."

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2017/2/6/14498316/just-how-good-was-gerard-deulofeu-everton-statistical-analysis-koeman-loan-ac-milan

Sounds like some of the ones, we have just worked hard to get rid of....but I have never studied the player.

If we are looking at wingers, ones like Gnonto, who are durable and up for it....is what we want, not show ponies.

Wingers are notoriously inconsistent,by definition,  so we need ones who are not deemed passengers for large portions of the game.....They need presence, and an ability to be a nuisance......a young fit, Snodgrass.

no more lightweights, plllllllleeeeaaaasssseeeeeeeeeeeee.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Villa can do better.

I don't see Dolefeu coming here. The side is in desperate need of pace and power, particularly in transition and then against low blocks. We are way too many pieces away from cutting down a low block like City or Arsenal so we're going to need to do it the old fashioned way (set pieces and headers) until we mature in our play in the final third.