January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Guendouzi ticks all the boxes for me for a CM role.

Only 23, has PL experience and has also played alongside Kamara for Marseille. He is also an internal for France and has played in the Champions League this season.

If the rumoured £30m-£35m fee is true, it's a no brainer.

purslow might be the problem not wanting to pay that much

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Apart from age, it does worry that we were saying similar things about Sanson at the time.  I’m not saying it’s wrong but once burnt, second time shy.

Guendouzi has over twice the number of senior appearances that Sanson had at the same age.  Guendouzi was a PL regular with Arsenal at the age of 19.

I don't think the two are comparable.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Only 23, has PL experience and has also played alongside Kamara for Marseille. He is also an internal for France and has played in the Champions League this season.

Agreed, it makes sense for multiple reasons.

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we sign Guendouzi our midfield is set for the next 4 years. Feels like the final piece  to the midfield puzzle.

Ramsey, luiz, kamara and Guendouzi with Tim to come back next season also.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Apart from age, it does worry that we were saying similar things about Sanson at the time.  I’m not saying it’s wrong but once burnt, second time shy.

What i would say to this is we have seen Guendouzi here before play good football, his temperament let him down and he was 19 then so at 23 we can see a much more improved and experienced player, not saying hes a guaranteed success but i get your point with players coming from that league (Besides PSG,Monaco), Kamara was plying his trade there and seems to be the first player to arrive from there and hold his own in this league quite well if i must say 🙂

18 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

If we sign Guendouzi our midfield is set for the next 4 years. Feels like the final piece  to the midfield puzzle.

Definitely not set but in the right direction

20 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Dont forget A. Ramsey as well. He had an impressive spell in Norwich, and I am sure he will follow in Jacobs footsteps

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Guendouzi has over twice the number of senior appearances that Sanson had at the same age.  Guendouzi was a PL regular with Arsenal at the age of 19.

I don't think the two are comparable.

At the same age? I wasn’t comparing ages I was comparing at that point total appearances

As for playing for Arsenal, this has split the difference on this thread, I didn’t think he was great at Arsenal and wasn’t surprised when Arsenal let him go.  Some fans agree with that, some don’t.

You missed the rest of that I was referring to ie CL experience, excelling in France etc so as I said aside from age there are comparables…

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Our squad is valuable. How many players are worth more than we paid for them.

Significantly more would be, Martinez, Cash, Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Konsa. 

More than we signed would be, Mings, Watkins, Davis, Hause maybe Chambers. 

We've JJ, Tim, Archer, AJ, Hayden as young talents.

Then the older experienced players who weren't signed for sell on value in Ings, Young, Digne, Carlos and new signing Moreno. 

Buendia and Bailey are regular starters who haven't dropped too much in value and Emery improves players so I'm hopeful we'll see better players by end of the season.

Really it's Sanson, Traore, Coutinho, Wesley maybe Nakamba who are left here that haven't made the contributions we wanted and would lose us money.

It's not a bad situation to be in especially if we sign a couple of new players in and around their early to mid 20s this window. 

Traore wasn’t actually that bad many of us seem to get onto him but he did contribute quite a bit in that initial season

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RicRic said:

What i would say to this is we have seen Guendouzi here before play good football, his temperament let him down and he was 19 then so at 23 we can see a much more improved and experienced player, not saying hes a guaranteed success but i get your point with players coming from that league (Besides PSG,Monaco), Kamara was plying his trade there and seems to be the first player to arrive from there and hold his own in this league quite well if i must say 🙂

I wasn’t impressed with him at Arsenal but he was young and I’ve heard, mainly from here, how much he’s improved…I do worry that if that improvement is him or whether he’s in a poorer league, probably a bit of both.  Hopefully if we buy him, he will be a massive success with us.

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

At the same age? I wasn’t comparing ages I was comparing at that point total appearances

As for playing for Arsenal, this has split the difference on this thread, I didn’t think he was great at Arsenal and wasn’t surprised when Arsenal let him go.  Some fans agree with that, some don’t.

You missed the rest of that I was referring to ie CL experience, excelling in France etc so as I said aside from age there are comparables…

You're comparing a 28-year-old to a 23-year-old? Why?

I am not to bothered about CL experience, Guendouzi only made his CL debut this season. But he has played in the PL before and is a current French international, Sanson had none of those when he signed for us.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You're comparing a 28-year-old to a 23-year-old? Why?

I am not to bothered about CL experience, Guendouzi only made his CL debut this season. But he has played in the PL before and is a current French international, Sanson had none of those when he signed for us.

He was 26 when we brought him, Guendouzi turns 24 in a couple of months…so while different, not huge as you are trying to make out.

They both are/were playing for Marseille when we are/were interested in them, with CL experience, midfielders and playing really well so a lot of comparables.  

Yes Guendouzi is a fringe French International which hopefully if he signs for us becomes a regular.  

I’m surprised you are excluding CL experience…and playing in the PL isn’t a plus in his case imo because if it was based on that time at Arsenal I wouldn’t be buying him as he wasn’t exactly great.

My point of the comparison was no more than because there is a lot of comparables between the two at the point of buying it just worries me especially after I wasn’t impressed with him at Arsenal.  I hope he becomes a massive success for us and his attributes are what we need but my comparison isn’t unreasonable for the nervousness.  

Surely if you wanted to argue with me, rather than the comparison argument you should’ve said how well Kamara is doing for us rather than the comparison with Sanson which is a fair point….that I’ve done on your behalf 😜

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think this may have been posted directly but I can’t be bothered to check 😁

Perejo is 33, he's 34 in 3 months, I would be surprised if he was worth 12m?

• Like 1