January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Just now, Demitri_C said:

In sorry mate but toney is a much better striker than watkins

he is, but he also wont be playing for 6-12 months.

and i wouldnt want toney anyways, he's a k*ob.

would happily have someone else to replace watkins tho.

3 hours ago, KMitch said:
  • Watford paid 30 million for Sarr...  He was their record signing.  Were going to take a 5-10 million pound loss on him if our transfer went through on him last summer.
  • Brighton paid 15 million for Bissouma, which was close to their record signing of 20 million pounds.  Sold for only 25 million pounds to Spurs, even though half his forum acted like he's a 50 million pound player.
  • Brentford paid 5 million for Toney but reportedly had 10 million in add ons, which has surely been all but triggered by this point.  Toney his one hell of a signing, but he was one of their top 3 most expensive signings ever at the time.  

You're acting like all these clubs paid peanuts for these players, but for their budgets they represent a very significant outlay.  TBH, we have made a few signings in this mold so far and I'll give you 3 off the top of my head.

• Emi Martinez - 20 million for a 28 year old career backup keeper at Arsenal, now worth 80 million+ and is one of the best keepers in the world
  • Douglas Luiz - 15 million for a 21 year old who looked very poor in his two seasons on loan at Girona, but has grown into a 40 million pound very solid Prem CM
  • Boubacar Kamara - Free Transfer for a 22 year old with 4 seasons of top flight and Champions League experience and looks to be one of our best midfielders.  Worth 40+ million now

Om not "acting" like anything. Who got better value then brentford who paid 10m for toney or us 30m for watkins?  Hint its not us

Bissouma was sold on for a significant amount of money so that 15m was a snip fof them. Had you heard of bissouma before they signed him?

Sarr i will admit i didnt know watford paid 30m for him but i bet they get more than the 30m they paid for him when they sell him.

Norwich signed buendia fir 1.5m we signed him for 40m.

And if you read my post i said the the three players you mentioned so not sure why your telling me about these three signings !

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

he is, but he also wont be playing for 6-12 months.

and i wouldnt want toney anyways, he's a k*ob.

would happily have someone else to replace watkins tho.

Oh i agree he is absolute knob. But dsspite that he is better than watkins in my opinion

I just hope we sign players, minus the journalistic BS and over hyping.

UE should know what we need, and who can deliver it.....some of these headline players are "pigs in pokes"....its so easy to walk in to ambushes with other so called experts appraisals of players.

There are an army of sellers, just looking for naive buyers, lets not be one eh!!!

There are rakes of players out there with Talent.....lets find some who apply it consistently.....They are the ones ,hard to find.

Watkins is OK, he is a well rounded player, I think at present he is worth what we paid, no more, no less. I think he would blossom in another set up but I think we need a different type of player, a finisher.

To a certain extent I think McGinn is similar - there is a better version of the player in there, he just needs certain players around him and to be played in a certain style in his preferred position. Again, I think we need a different player and there is no place for McGinn in our team any longer - I think Kamara, Luiz and now Dendonker all get in ahead of him, and I would rather see a more accomplished "advanced" or box to box midfielder in our side who isnt McGinn.

We are not too far away from a decent 11, I think Pau Torres and Thuram (neither of which we will get) and possibly another wide forward and thats it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Om not "acting" like anything. Who got better value then brentford who paid 10m for toney or us 30m for watkins?  Hint its not us

Bissouma was sold on for a significant amount of money so that 15m was a snip fof them. Had you heard of bissouma before they signed him?

Sarr i will admit i didnt know watford paid 30m for him but i bet they get more than the 30m they paid for him when they sell him.

And if you read my post i said the the three players you mentioned so not sure why your telling me about these three signings !

We had a 25 million bid for Sarr accepted in the summer

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think you make a valid point.....but the higher we go up the greasy pole, the harder it is to find less expensive signings.

However, if you spend big, you have to be a sure as can be, its a good bet, and not a lame duck.

These sums are huge, and we sometimes talk, like its monopoly money, sure its all relative, but the buyers need to know, what they are doing....and we need to know, that they know, what they are doing.

I have not been convinced, by some of our past, transactions, but I guess its tricky in appraising that.

I think when you look back over time, some managers got it right more often than others, and the trend of what they looked for, was more plausible....some it was just a stab in the dark, or popular media choices.

Building a football team is not bringing in everyone elses best players, that usually ends up as a patchwork quilt, great on paper, poor on grass.....Teams are a result of matching contrasting attributes, and complimentary attributes and forming a well oiled machine, its hard to do, but it is done with Nous and a clear understanding of the game.....Its hard to find managers, who can actually do it......hope we've got one.

• Like 1

I have a new player we should before Brighton or Chelsea nab him.
Jhon Duran - Columbian Wonderkid who plays for the mighty Chicago Fire. Just 19 years old. 
Go on Lange pull the deal off

Edited by messi11
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Jhon Duran - Columbian Wonderkid who plays for the mighty Chicago Fire. Just 19 years old. 

You should be a scout.

6'2 , wins aerial duels..............just up my street.

• Like 1

We need a striker, who can lead the line, score goals, and play with aggression.

in 1979-80 we finished 7th and it was clear, we was missing a striker with aggression.....Gray had gone and John Deehan and David Geddis shared the No9 responsibilities, that season, but something was missing.....but they could not replace Gray's aggression.

in 1980-81 we signed Peter Withe and the rest is history, his affect on the team was immense, he brought everyone in to play....and played with a similar agression to Gray.....we was complete again.

We need the same now.

4 hours ago, messi11 said:

He seems young and hungry like the wolf.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, messi11 said:

Jhon Duran - Colombian Wonderkid who plays for the mighty Chicago Fire. Just 19 years old. 

FTFY

• Like 2