Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

35 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Take care of our business and we'll get in to Europe.

We can't and shouldn't rely on dirtly Leeds or Man City.

Love this. And it's exactly what Unai will be saying. 

• Like 2

By the way - anyone thinking it's better not to be in Europe, that is not just a bad take but basically wrong.  Moving forward clubs will earn money from UEFA based on their coefficient points, therefore it is vital for Villa to start accumulating these points by playing European games. For example, if Villa and West Ham both qualify for the UCL - as it stands right now, West Ham would earn much more than us because they have accumulated more coefficient points.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

Love this. And it's exactly what Unai will be saying. 

I said it too, others seemed to be keen to say we had no chance...

Glad Emery is manager and not some of our fans. Such a loser vibe from so many...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

Brighton wouldn't want any of their prized assets getting injured in a meaningless game for them. I can see the likes of Mac Allister and Caicedo sitting the game out.

I think Brighton will be a tougher fixture than some are giving credit for, they have been excellent all season and are high in confidence and will want to finish the season off in style. It also seems like more than wishful thinking to suggest they’re going to rest all of their best players as some sort of gift to other clubs who want to take their best players off them

9 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Then you missed my original point.

It's like me saying it was obvious at Christmas that Leeds would be in a relegation battle, even though they could mathematically still win the league at that point. 

I base my predictions on more than just how many points you can mathematically attain. We left ourselves to much to do after the Man United loss and Brighton were never going to lose all those games against the big clubs. I made a point of that at the time as well and got called negative and pessimistic.

I called it "realistic". For a reason.

You said we were NEVER going to finish above Brighton afterthe United game, a win against Wolves would have made it possible still. Heck even a draw there it would still be possible. You think a draw against Wolves was unrealistic? 

• Like 4

Just now, david-avfc said:

I think Brighton will be a tougher fixture than some are giving credit for, they have been excellent all season and are high in confidence and will want to finish the season off in style. It also seems like more than wishful thinking to suggest they’re going to rest all of their best players as some sort of gift to other clubs who want to take their best players off them

I am thinking deals are close to being agreed for the likes of Mac Allister.  Would they want to risk losing 60M by playing him against us?

Such an amazing run from Unai's boys since Xmas. 

Shame about EL but the Doghead's loss put paid to that dream. 

Now its all about securing the win next week so I can book my tickets to Hapoel Be'er Sheeva away.

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I am thinking deals are close to being agreed for the likes of Mac Allister.  Would they want to risk losing 60M by playing him against us?

Yes. Because he's their player, they don't want to sell him and they have multiple other plans in place.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You said we were NEVER going to finish above Brighton afterthe United game, a win against Wolves would have made it possible still. Heck even a draw there it would still be possible. You think a draw against Wolves was unrealistic? 

You STILL don't get the point I was making even having explained it several times?

Let me try again.

It was evident that we needed too many points too catch them and that it was unlikely we would catch them.as we would probably lose at least one more game and draw a couple.

That's EXACTLY what happened.

Had we won at Wolves we may have lost yesterday instead or drawn with Spurs etc etc...

Its not hard to understand if you try.

You don't  need to find new arguments with me just because I've proven you wrong on others. 

Leave it be.

We aren't finishing above Brighton and was not pessimism for me to point that out ages ago, when it was so bloody obvious they had games in hand and more points.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Why people acting like Brighton are Real Madrid or something and that we're desperate for them to rest players, desperate for them not to have anything to play for, desperate for Leeds to do us a favor.

We're not in a relegation battle now, when often the only hope is that other teams do you a favor, we're challenging for Europe because we're a very good team, and as such are capable of getting the job done ourselves, now it's less about worrying about other teams,, if we beat Brighton at home then will finish seventh, nothing else matters.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

No it didn't. It was the last game of the season "between us and Brighton" that you were advocating for and I said they'd be well clear of us by then.

Which they are.

Could still finish level on points with them if they lose v Man. City and us. Basically Brighton getting that 97th minute win v Man. United cost us although perhaps they'd have then gone and beaten Everton.

What it does show is we need far more goal threat throughout our team. Brighton finally learnt how to score 3-4 goals pretty regularly when they're on top in games and so they've got to a + 20 GD pretty comfortably even though they've had some heavy losses recently.

Perhaps that's not how it's going to work under UE given how tight he's got us defensively but we're going to need a Newcastle or Brentford scoreline 4-5 times next season if we want our GD to be in line with a few teams who'll be top 6.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Heck even a draw there it would still be possible. You think a draw against Wolves was unrealistic? 

I don’t see what our new President of Business Operations has to do with any of this. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Guys it was a tedious argument when there was a reasonable chance (and I think there was a reasonable chance). 

I don’t think the debate is going to benefit from be prolonged. 

But whatever, I can skim past. Fill your boots. Dish out the “I told you so’s” and various internet points accordingly.

Always nice to win the final game of the season, especially a home one. As it’s an important game, winning this one would be even sweeter. The crowd should be rocking, they’re good, but we’re good too and we have more reason to be at the races.

‘kin bring it on.

Good point...

Let us be happy we are in with a shout for Europe.

Just now, useless said:

Why people acting like Brighton are Real Madrid or something and that we're desperate for them to rest players, desperate for them not to have anything to play for, desperate for Leeds to do us a favor.

My word good luck with that one, it seems before todays game people had forgotten how bad they are, they're where they are in the league for a reason, six defeats and two draws from last eight games, bad form stretches way back, they were never going to then suddenly go and beat West Ham and Spurs, we're much more likely to beat Brighton and than Leeds are to beat Tottenham even allowing for Tottenham's bad form.

The only thing that might give Leeds a chance next weekend is that I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs aren't bothered about Conference League.

24 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

No it didn't. It was the last game of the season "between us and Brighton" that you were advocating for and I said they'd be well clear of us by then.

Which they are.

"Well clear..."

Manure and Barcodes are well clear...

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Could still finish level on points with them if they lose v Man. City and us. Basically Brighton getting that 97th minute win v Man. United cost us although perhaps they'd have then gone and beaten Everton.

What it does show is we need far more goal threat throughout our team. Brighton finally learnt how to score 3-4 goals pretty regularly when they're on top in games and so they've got to a + 20 GD pretty comfortably even though they've had some heavy losses recently.

Perhaps that's not how it's going to work under UE given how tight he's got us defensively but we're going to need a Newcastle or Brentford scoreline 4-5 times next season if we want our GD to be in line with a few teams who'll be top 6.

Yeah very possible we could end up level on points with Brighton.

Not "well clear" at all.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Exactly and it's important to factor in these things. Brighton are a very good side and I new dammed well that they wouldn't lose all 4 games against the top 4.

And I also considered their vastly superior goal difference when predicting we would finish below them.

Whilst they are definitely beatable next Sunday, it would be good if they finally get the respect they deserve for a brilliant season.

I'm sure our players will show them that respect and not expect an easy game.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

"Well clear..."

Manure and Barcodes are well clear...

Yeah very possible we could end up level on points with Brighton.

Not "well clear" at all.

Well clear as in too far to catch on the last day. Which is what we are talking  about. 

• Confused 1