Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Surely today's result doesn't change anything? From most of the predictions that were posted for our remaining fixtures (many of which had us finishing 6th or 7th), the ManUre game was chalked down as a probable loss.

The Wolves game is a big one, as is Spurs & Brighton.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two matches ago, I said 64 points would get us Europa League: we needed to beat Wolves and Fulham, beat 2 of 3 among Liverpool, Brighton, and Spurs, and then could afford to lose to Man U.

I stand by my prediction. Anything less than that and its 7th or 8th.

4 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Surely today's result doesn't change anything? From most of the predictions that were posted for our remaining fixtures (many of which had us finishing 6th or 7th), the ManUre game was chalked down as a probable loss.

Yeah I just think we essentially missed the opportunity to make it harder for Brighton and Spurs. We can’t keep doing that if we want to finish 6th (or 7th).

And yes, every chance that goes by the next game becomes more important to win. And on the face of it, it’s probably fair to say Wolves is a “must win” it being on paper the easiest fixture.

But just as a hypothetical, if I was offered a defeat against Wolves in return for three wins in our final three games - I’d take that and I believe most would. 

I think it’s about 9 points needed, ideally 6 of those coming against Spurs and Brighton. If the remainder surprisingly came from Anfield, I don’t think it would matter.

If Brighton pick up a win and a draw from Newcastle and Man Utd (say) as well as the anticipated points from Everton and Southampton, then this becomes a lot more moot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whats changed is we have played a game more and not picked up any points, Brighton have 3 games in hand, and are 2 points behind us, Liverpool have leapfrogged us and have a game in hand?

Or are you one who thinks Champions League is still on and if we try to be realistic we are being " negative "?

As we speak, Tottenham have just scored another and look like equalising, pretending as if there is any " gain " from losing today is bizarre.. lol . At least a point would have helped.

Hey " But Brighton still have tough games and will probably lose all of them " lol

If Tottenham lose this it will be a bonus obviously but still guarantees us nothing.

Earlier in this thread I had Villa to be on 58 points going into the last day with Brighton on 61 and Spurs 60. Had Villa to lose today, draw with Wolves, beat Spurs and lose to Liverpool. Even said I expected Brighton to win their 3 home games before they played yesterday so not sure how you can say I’m one who thinks champions league is still on and calling anybody negative when people probably thinking I’m being negative. 

Villa lost, Spurs lost so nothing has changed. Liverpool will most likely finish 5th and Villa will need to better Spurs results in the next 4 games for European football which was the case before this weekend. It will go to the last day and as I’ve wrote previously, if Villa need to beat Brighton last day of the season for Europe I’m confident they will do it. 

Next 2 games are crucial, 4 points minimum needed I think. Anything less then that then will be relying on other teams. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Well we didn’t gain on goal difference but to be honest that is besides the point.

We are running out of games and each one we don’t take 3 points in greatly reduces the likelihood of us finishing 5th or 6th for the Europa League.

Brighton now need two points from three games and they go above us. We are going to have to rely on them hitting poor form now.

If we don’t beat Wolves we can forget it 

I take it you don’t want Villa to play in the Europa Conference then? 5th going to be difficult as can’t see past Liverpool with their remaining fixtures. I’m not looking at just Brighton though, nothings changed with Spurs this weekend from what I can see. 

7 minutes ago, RichW said:

Next 2 games are crucial, 4 points minimum needed I think. Anything less then that then will be relying on other teams. 

We are definitely relying on other teams, regardless of what we do in our next two games. We can win both and we’re still relying on the top four mostly taking points off Brighton.

There’s just some disagreement on how many points Brighton will gain from those games.

You watch, after all this debate, they’ll beat both Arsenal and Man City and also lose to Everton and Southampton just to make us all look stupid.

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

We are definitely relying on other teams, regardless of what we do in our next two games. We can win both and we’re still relying on the top four mostly taking points off Brighton.

There’s just some disagreement on how many points Brighton will gain from those games.

You watch, after all this debate, they’ll beat both Arsenal and Man City and also lose to Everton and Southampton just to make us all look stupid.

Well I’m thinking Brighton beat Man Utd and Everton and Southampton but lose the others but then feel like Everton could easily get a 0-0 there but also Brighton could nick a draw in one of the games I feel like they will lose. I’m just focusing on Spurs as the one we need to finish above the at the moment  

If we do lose at Wolves then means gotta get something at Liverpool which like today I’m not confident is something we can do. Spurs game at Villa Park is crucial though, lose that then I struggle to see how finish above Brighton or Spurs. They’ve shown today it probably won’t be as easy game as I thought it might be. 

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You can see, the guys desperate for European football, but is the team good enough to give it to him.

To be fair, so far based on his tenure it might be. What's holding us back is the Gerrard handicap from the start of the season.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RichW said:

I take it you don’t want Villa to play in the Europa Conference then? 5th going to be difficult as can’t see past Liverpool with their remaining fixtures. I’m not looking at just Brighton though, nothings changed with Spurs this weekend from what I can see. 

6th gets the Europa League this year.

No I very much don't want to play in the conference, I know it is an unpopular viewpoint to have on here.

It doesn't have prestige, it doesn't have the money, it is a lot more games in a season which DOES affect league form. When you compare that with the Europa League it does have prestige making it easier to sign good players, it has a decent amount of money and because it has prestige it will affect sponsorship, that helps to pay for the extra players needed to not affect the league form as much.

People need to remember those sky 6 clubs have huge squads and turnovers multiple times higher than ours.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

6th gets the Europa League this year.

No I very much don't want to play in the conference, I know it is an unpopular viewpoint to have on here.

It doesn't have prestige, it doesn't have the money, it is a lot more games in a season which DOES affect league form. When you compare that with the Europa League it does have prestige making it easier to sign good players, it has a decent amount of money and because it has prestige it will affect sponsorship, that helps to pay for the extra players needed to not affect the league form as much.

People need to remember those sky 6 clubs have huge squads and turnovers multiple times higher than ours.

Yeah but if we win some silverware who cares?

I want a trophy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

To an extent I feel Spurs are a bit more of a wild card than Brighton. I feel more confident in guessing Brighton’s approximate tally. Spurs on the other hand, I really don’t know. They could pick up ten more points, they could finish the season without winning another game.

I do think it will get toxic for them at home if they fall behind to Brighton and Palace. Them not winning either home game will be very good for us and we probably need them to drop points in at least one of those games as I'm less confident now on Leeds doing anything v them on final day way they're defending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshVilla said:

Yep, 7 points needed from this games. Do that and we are in Europe.