Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Mostly, they’re clubs with modern prestige who can attract the very top players (and managers) and have the money to back that up. There’s a reason we have the “top 6”. Even when sides mess up, they’re usually back within 2 seasons - Arsenal possibly the exception here? But they stuck with Arteta and a plan and it’s now paying dividends.

They all look beatable at the moment and the gap is certainly closing overall - but the challenge remains. 

I’ve seen nothing to suggest Liverpool have serious money. They can dip in to the market now and then to make a big signing but they don’t do it with any level of frequency . Old decrepit squad that won’t be fixed overnight. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I’ve seen nothing to suggest Liverpool have serious money. They can dip in to the market now and then to make a big signing but they don’t do it with any level of frequency . Old decrepit squad that won’t be fixed overnight. 

Precisely. Add to the fact the owners want to sell, they aren't going to see the kind of investment their fans expect, and what would be needed to fix their issues, certainly not in one window.

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Sure - but they could make maybe 2 signings that would turn them around, no? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Really no plus many have them figured out and nullified old threats

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The 6 points isn't the issue.

I get optimism and all that, but I don't see how people can blatantly ignore the clubs around us with games in hand. lol

Realistically, we need to keep winning just to stay in 6th ffs, and even then, we could still win and not finish 6th.

Brighton just need a draw to leapfrog us on GD with a game in hand for example.

We'd have to win near all our remaining games to have a chance of finishing 4th.

Let's be sensible, even as we break down barriers week by week.

I feel this is why some people often end up dissappointed.

I genuinely think we’ve zero chance of getting 4th, it’s the Europa we’re capable of making. 

• Like 2

Which Premier League clubs will qualify for the Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League? (espn.com)

Not sure if this was posted before, but ESPN seems to fancy us ahead of Liverpool for a European spot.

Who is in contention for Europe?

Arsenal (74 points, 31 games) and Manchester City (70, 30 games) are clear in first and second, and both appear certain to be playing in the Champions League next season.

Manchester United (59, 30 games) and Newcastle United (56, 30 games) hold the cards in third and fourth, with Tottenham Hotspur three points further back having played a game more. The final Champions League places are most likely to go to two of these three clubs. However, two clubs could gatecrash the race: Aston Villa (50, 31 games) and Brighton & Hove Albion (49, 29 games).

The other clubs in contention for Europe are Liverpool (44, 29 games), Brentford (43, 31 games), Fulham (42, 30 games) and Chelsea (39, 31 games), but their hopes of contesting for a European place may depend on whether sixth or seventh ends up qualifying.

Article from 5 days ago before the weekends games.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

No chance, van dijk looks to be declining, they need three midfielders, robertson isn’t the same player as a few seasons ago, Trent  looks badly exposed now defensively. They need huge investment 

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.2597b690ec825e73e98fda393489fd16.png

This is about the equivalent of the FiveThirtyEight predictions as of yesterday, with fixtures ordered as they land (in italics are assumed order of unscheduled games), moving to a new row when next fixtures kick off after previous have finished. Has us 5th or tied 5th for most of remainder of season, even following the scheduled 36th game weekend, but final games for Spurs, Brighton and Liverpool push them ahead of us. in the last weeks.

Winning every game gets us to 71 so 4th place is a massive ask that requires us to be near perfect and one of Utd and Newcastle to tank badly. 5th is well within our grasp now though.

Edited by tomsky_11
  • Like 1

I still think Brighton and Liverpool will finish above us, but I also think Spurs may drop out of it all together. This would mean a 7th place finish which would be an incredible achievement. 

I'll still be gutted we didn't make the Europa League though!

Next two games are massive. Win both and we can actually afford to lose a couple towards the end of the season. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

image.thumb.png.dfd90703008b4418de512e5fd146628e.png

This is about the equivalent of the FiveThirtyEight predictions as of yesterday, with fixtures ordered as they land (in italics are assumed order of unscheduled games), moving to a new row when next fixtures kick off after previous have finished. Has us 5th or tied 5th for most of remainder of season, even following the scheduled 36th game weekend, but final games for Spurs, Brighton and Liverpool push them ahead of us. in the last weeks.

Winning every game gets us to 71 so 4th place is a massive ask that requires us to be near perfect and one of Utd and Newcastle to tank badly. 5th is well within our grasp now though.

So it thinks we can’t beat any team above us or sky6 teams? We only win 2 of the next 7 on our current form?

The Liverpool predictions are all over the place….drawing with Leicester and Leeds, losing to West Ham but beating Spurs and us.

Weird!

13 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

image.thumb.png.dfd90703008b4418de512e5fd146628e.png

Looking at that we need United to get results against spurs Brighton and Liverpool. I 

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We love you Leeds, Leeds, LEEDS.......👀

0-3 Liverpool I expect though.

Liverpool haven't even scored an away goal against teams in the bottom half since they beat us 3-1 on 26th Dec 🤣

Their away form this season is abysmal. 

Fulham 2–2 Liverpool
Manchester United 2–1 Liverpool
Everton 0–0 Liverpool
Arsenal 3–2 Liverpool
Nottingham Forest 1–0 Liverpool
Tottenham Hotspur 1–2 Liverpool
Aston Villa 1–3 Liverpool
Brentford 3–1 Liverpool
Brighton 3–0 Liverpool
Wolverhampton 3–0 Liverpool
Newcastle United 0–2 Liverpool
Crystal Palace 0–0 Liverpool
Bournemouth 1–0 Liverpool
Manchester City 4–1 Liverpool
Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool
Edited by duke313

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I still think Brighton and Liverpool will finish above us, but I also think Spurs may drop out of it all together. This would mean a 7th place finish which would be an incredible achievement. 

I'll still be gutted we didn't make the Europa League though!

Next two games are massive. Win both and we can actually afford to lose a couple towards the end of the season. 

I think it’s all going to be too close to predict now.  One freak goal, a bad VAR decision could really make a difference now.  The points look like they are going to be so close that any combination of position could happen.

• Like 4