Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

Ours is just over 2 weeks now.

Today he started throwing up either during a feed or a little while after. With one quite explosive attack tonight during a feed. Probably 3/4 in total today.

Is this normal? Wife is stressed out. Worried she won't sleep to make sure he doesn't choke.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ours is just over 2 weeks now.

Today he started throwing up either during a feed or a little while after. With one quite explosive attack tonight during a feed. Probably 3/4 in total today.

Is this normal? Wife is stressed out. Worried she won't sleep to make sure he doesn't choke.

I think being a bit sick after feeding is fairly normal. Is it the whole lot of the feed or just a bit?

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Most times a little bit, but once or twice it's been a lot.

I’m not doctor but I don’t think that’s anything to worry about. Are you burping him/her after the feed?

Often a bit of sick would come up with ours after feeding when they burped. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not doctor but I don’t think that’s anything to worry about. Are you burping him/her after the feed?

Often a bit of sick would come up with ours after feeding when they burped. 

Yeah we’re trying. I think we just need to try and feed slower and burp more often. He eats very greedily. (We feed only from the breast)

He’s already up 600g in 2 weeks on the weight front so he’s definitely eating well and putting on weight so I’m not worried about any illness. Looking at symptoms of illnesses they all mention fatigue and weight loss or no weight gain. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Most times a little bit, but once or twice it's been a lot.

You will get the odd projectile vomit which is normal. My little un who was 6 weeks premature had really bad vomiting which required medication for the first year. 

I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry, but there’s nothing wrong with seeing the doctor if you’re really concerned.

Congrats btw!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah we’re trying. I think we just need to try and feed slower and burp more often. He eats very greedily. (We feed only from the breast)

He’s already up 600g in 2 weeks on the weight front so he’s definitely eating well and putting on weight so I’m not worried about any illness. Looking at symptoms of illnesses they all mention fatigue and weight loss or no weight gain. 

Could your OH express some milk, then bottle it and feed it via teet with a tiny hole? Might slow him down a bit and let it get digested better.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Could your OH express some milk, then bottle it and feed it via teet with a tiny hole? Might slow him down a bit and let it get digested better.

We tried a bit of bottle feeding with her milk but he was even greedier with it and couldn’t quite get it right. We have the midwife tomorrow so we wanted her to show us some techniques to slow him down. 

• Like 1

As discussed, they vomit basically constantly. We would go through about 10 muslins a day and multiple outfits, not just for Jack, for us too.

As others have said as long as he's not throwing up huge amounts, like his entire feed, on a regular basis you should be fine. The ideas about bottles are a good one too. I know when we went up a teat size in bottle for Jack he hated it because it came out too quickly and he couldn't digest it properly.

You'll find the sweet spot. If he's putting on weight at the right pace then I'd say you've got nothing to worry about

13 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

We have the midwife tomorrow so we wanted her to show us some techniques to slow him down. 

This will be really helpful if they're anything like the midwives/nurses we had visiting us.

Not just for the milk, just all the questions you have that you need to ask someone about. 

90% of the answers will be "Yeah that's totally normal, don't worry about it". But it gives you peace of mind. A good outlet to unload all those niggling worries that you think are probably fine but you want to double check

• Like 1

On 19/09/2023 at 10:19, Stevo985 said:

As discussed, they vomit basically constantly. We would go through about 10 muslins a day and multiple outfits, not just for Jack, for us too.

As others have said as long as he's not throwing up huge amounts, like his entire feed, on a regular basis you should be fine. The ideas about bottles are a good one too. I know when we went up a teat size in bottle for Jack he hated it because it came out too quickly and he couldn't digest it properly.

You'll find the sweet spot. If he's putting on weight at the right pace then I'd say you've got nothing to worry about

Quite common, its Reflux, my youngest had it for a couple of years, even vomited in my mouth once,  stopped one night and never happened again 

31 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Quite common, its Reflux, my youngest had it for a couple of years, even vomited in my mouth once,  stopped one night and never happened again 

Jack had awful reflux. I have videos of him writhing around in his sleep from it, it was horrible.

We eventually had to press the doctor to prescribe him Omeprezol and it completely cured it

We've had omeprazole, gaviscon and domperidome twice a day, and still have an exorcist event a few times a week, I'm losing my **** shit. But we're down from every single feed, so that's something.

A few days ago, after getting out plenty of wind and leaving half an hour for the feed to settle, she covered the car within seconds of putting her in, I just broke down in tears, there was nothing else I could do.

Think the current record for her projectile vomiting is 3.5m.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We've had omeprazole, gaviscon and domperidome twice a day, and still have an exorcist event a few times a week, I'm losing my **** shit. But we're down from every single feed, so that's something.

A few days ago, after getting out plenty of wind and leaving half an hour for the feed to settle, she covered the car within seconds of putting her in, I just broke down in tears, there was nothing else I could do.

Think the current record for her projectile vomiting is 3.5m.

I’m sorry to hear this mate. How old is your little one? If it’s any consolation as mentioned previously we went through the exact same thing with our little one. I’d does get easier and once they’re onto solids it reduced drastically in our case. 

Might be worth asking doctor about lanzaprozol. Our consultant told us gaviscon and omeprazole were pretty much useless for really bad reflux. 

Â