Neuroscience Study

Mat Kendrick's Dentist

Hey all! I'm afraid my username has been but a cunning ruse all for all these years, as I actually work in research, specifically in the field of neuroscience. My colleagues and I will be conducting a study into memory later this year, part of which will involve the presentation of still images that will later have to be recognized and recalled. We are currently running a pilot study to ensure the suitability of these images, and that's where I turn to the VillaTalk family for help.

I have linked the pilot below, and would hugely appreciate it if you could complete it. It should take about 20 minutes, and entails the presentation of an action description, followed by a still image. All you have to do is determine whether or not you think the image matches the description. 

https://ucdpsychology.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0uOJYAxOd0jiCQm

If you have any questions, just let me know. Thanks!

• Like 3

I done buggered up a few with my brain thing. Clever survey as I have an idea what you might be getting at with the questions and varying pictures. Good luck with it :thumb:

• Thanks 1

Done.Some tricky pictures because eg the boy eating crisps.One picture he is actually eating the crisp,another picture he is reaching for a crisp,but you only know that because you reconise the same boy eating/reaching.

• Thanks 1

Done.

Oh god.

Firstly, I had to disable Ghostery to get it to load. Whatever...

I get why N for no and B for yes, but it was really hard to hit the right key as so little time to choose. Pressing B for yes drove me **** nuts and I got it wrong a few times.

Is that a ukulele, hang on, let me count the stri...

Is that a man and a woman or is it two wo...

As someone with ADHD and no meds my adrenaline went through the roof trying to concentrate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Done.Some tricky pictures because eg the boy eating crisps.One picture he is actually eating the crisp,another picture he is reaching for a crisp,but you only know that because you reconise the same boy eating/reaching.

I think that's partly the point. 

• Like 1

Done.  I am apparently terrible at this. I know it is a "no" and I take my time and calmly press b like an idiot. 

I have a degree in psychology so can often hazard a guess at what being researched when I do these  - but here I have no clue. Very interested though 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VBM said:

Done.  I am apparently terrible at this. I know it is a "no" and I take my time and calmly press b like an idiot. 

I have a degree in psychology so can often hazard a guess at what being researched when I do these  - but here I have no clue. Very interested though 

Thank you! This study is just a precursor to ensure that we are using images that are "canonical", or representative of an action, for a later experimental study. In other words, we are demonstrating that certain images are appropriate to use as they are consistently agreed to represent what they are supposed to represent

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Thank you! This study is just a precursor to ensure that we are using images that are "canonical", or representative of an action, for a later experimental study. In other words, we are demonstrating that certain images are appropriate to use as they are consistently agreed to represent what they are supposed to represent

I don't think the angry woman image does indeed represent an angry woman, exasperated yes, angry no 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apologies if I've skewed the results. I've massively overthought (in a split second) so many of my responses. I mean, she could be bouncing on the bed but then again she could be levitating. They could be hugging but it could be the start of a very formally attired wrestling match. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Oh and if you want further feedback, the images of the couple in the bar are too dark. It really did take a few views of seeing those images to work out what was going on, especially the non-toasting one, I'm still not sure what that image is meant to actually show

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I don't think the angry woman image does indeed represent an angry woman, exasperated yes, angry no 

Thank you! We previously did a Naming task, whereby participants had to describe the action portrayed in a short video clip. We then spliced the clips into many images, and got the most and least representative image of the action portrayed in each clip. This clip was consistently described as a woman displaying anger, but, personally, I agree with you as I see it more as exasperation, and if the data in this pilot agrees, it won't be used for the experimental phase

• Like 1

Â